Abandonded cars etc in Cyprus!

mini man

An interesting vid indeed. I confess to not knowing much about the situation in Cyprus, something I felt the need to rectify especially with their team doing so well in the Commonweaith Games, so I did some googling & updated my knowledge. I quite enjoy these in forbidden places vids, knowledge with excitement, found an interesting one by the same team about the abandoned airport, at Nicosia. Kind of sad & pointlessly wasteful as are the vehicles. Thanks for sharing.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

It’s a tragic waste but a fascinating place. There’s a whole modern (by 1970s standard) holiday resort left in no mans land and abandoned at Varosha and there’s reputed to be a car dealership full of 1974 model Toyotas with only a few miles on the clock. Someone supposedly took pictures of it, posted below - used at mods discretion, please remove if not appropriate.

kapalı maraş resimleri varosha pictures ammochostou cyprus kıbrıs

kapalı maraş resimleri varosha pictures ammochostou cyprus kıbrıs

• Like 2

Good find, I hadn’t seen that link before. That 111 sitting at the airport would make a superb dio study. 

Got to hand it to whoever got in to take those pictures - I wouldn’t fancy their chances much if they fell into the hands of the Turkish army.

I think the I-II is actually a Tu 154 by the shape of the central engine intake that I found on (I think) google maps, I thought at first it might have been a Trident. As for being apprehended, afaik, this is in the UN patrolled buffer zone, not Turkish teritory so maybe not overly strictly patrolled.  :unsure:

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Right, no arguing with that, maybe I'm confusing Trident intake shapes with B.727 ones, I was thinking oval on the Trident but obviously wrong on that, it's not an area I'm overly familiar with. Does anyone do a suitable Trident kit & decals for one of these? :)

Steve.

• 8 months later...
On 4/14/2018 at 12:14 AM, mini man said:

I would of had a few Beetles!