Query: British Caledonian DC-10 wing colours

Hello All

As part of the 10th Anniversary group build I am making the above as G-DCIO but am unsure about the wing colours.

I can find photos on the web showing the underside with light grey inspar panels but am unsure whether the upper sides are also light grey or a darker grey (ie similar to coroguard).

I'm looking to do the livery with metallic lower fuselage (rather than light grey) if that helps.

Regards 

Mike

I doubt if there is a clear answer to this.  If I'd known you were going to ask the question I'd have taken notes when I flew to Hong Kong on G-BEBM 32 years ago.

You could try contacting British Caledonian.com to see if anyone remembers how the wings were painted.  They have a very good DC-10 gallery but unfortunately all the pictures which show the upper wings seem to be in black and white.  It really is disgraceful that photographers in the 1970s and 80s didn't consider the needs of modellers in the 20teens!

I suspect you're just going to have to take an educated guess and defy anyone else to prove you wrong.  If there is a definitive answer I'd like to know too because I have a long-term plan to model G-BEBM.

Dave G

• Like 2

Hi Dave

Thanks for taking the time to answer.  My theory is that of nobody can give a definitive answer, then nobody can criticise what I choose!

If I'd known that eventually I'd get back into model aircraft I would have taken more notice of what we flew on in the 80s and 90s across the Atlantic.

Am sure that we must have flown on a DC-10 (?Den - Lgw with Continental) but have no records.

Regards 

Mike 

Wow, replies have rolled in today whilst I've been out walking - thanks to all who have provided links or pictures.

Mike

PS

Having now had chance to follow some of the suggestions, think I'll go with the light grey upper panels as per this photo https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7524848

At least it will save time by not needing to mask before spraying dark grey😊

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 14/04/2018 at 11:49, Skodadriver said:

I doubt if there is a clear answer to this.  If I'd known you were going to ask the question I'd have taken notes when I flew to Hong Kong on G-BEBM 32 years ago.

You could try contacting British Caledonian.com to see if anyone remembers how the wings were painted.  They have a very good DC-10 gallery but unfortunately all the pictures which show the upper wings seem to be in black and white.  It really is disgraceful that photographers in the 1970s and 80s didn't consider the needs of modellers in the 20teens!

I suspect you're just going to have to take an educated guess and defy anyone else to prove you wrong.  If there is a definitive answer I'd like to know too because I have a long-term plan to model G-BEBM.

Dave G

I should have taken more notice as well when I flew out to HK in 1983. Good memories of sitting in the co-pilots seat while the pilot gave me a talk about what everything did. Sadly something kids of today will never be able to do.

This thread has given me some inspiration and maybe time to did my DC-10 out of the stash. Thx all for the picture links as they will help.

Julien

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Sonoran said:

Those inspar panels are not light gray, they are Corroguard, top and bottom.  I have original McDonnell Douglas factory documents that show this.  

Thanks for your reply - I went with the colours in the photo linked at Post #13