Airfix Hunting Percival Jet Provost T3 1/72

Hi Folks, I had high hopes for this model as I started to build it, went together really well with very little filler needed. This was the first time I have used black basing as a technique and I have to say I am totally sold! Very subtle tonal differences and panel lines. So having painted it I was really pleased with what I had achieved and then came the decals.The ones at the end of the wings refused to sit down and try as I might I could not get the ones on the leading edge of the wings to adhere and that's when it all went wrong. In my wisdom (or more correctly lack of it) I decided to get the decal on top of the wing bedded down, let it dry and then wrap it around the leading edge. Who knew that when I tried to that the decal would just disintegrate into dust! I tried to match the colour with a blend of paints but obviously could not get anywhere near it. Having lost patience I have only applied the larger decals and this one sits on my 'Shelf of shame' unfinished, a valuable lesson learnt.

Unusually for me I have sat this one on its wheels because I wanted to see if I could get a tricycle undercarriage sitting properly on the ground and because I have plans for the pilots they may find themselves in a Tornado or a Tomcat.

IMG_4002.jpg

IMG_4005.jpg

IMG_4009.jpg

IMG_4010.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

IMG_4014.jpg

Thanks for looking, please be gentle.

• Like 31

Having built three of these I think they are god representations of the JP.  I too had the same problems with the decals and posted on the site for solutions, lots of people replied with good ideas for getting round the problem- have a look at their suggestions. Your model looks good.

What a shame the decals have let you down in what is otherwise a terrific looking JP.  Very frustrating I'm sure.  I had heard that they are problematic, to the extent that I was thinking about painting mine in the earlier day-glo and silver paint scheme.  Your problems have confirmed that course of action so at least you can take some comfort from knowing you have saved at least one fellow modeller much heartache!

Hello telboy,

Your models shows us all, that small can be a delight to study.

I enjoyed the pics of this famous aircraft.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

Great effort, it still looks very nice, you can see the tonal variances from the black basing technique very well.

I had the same problem with the decals on the leading edges and wingtip tanks, they were too thick to conform, it took multiple applications of decal set and decal sol to get them to adhere and even then the ones on the wing leading edges cracked and broke in several places.

I think that in having to be such a bright orange the colour has to be thick so as not to allow any bleed through of the paint below, but it would be nice if those decals came in two parts that could meet in the middle, if I do another one, I will probably cut the decal in half prior to wetting it and applying it, that way no bends and tears!

Rich