1/72 Pegasus BP Balliol

Here's the old Pegasus limited-run kit of the Boulton Paul Balliol.  I did it as Sea Balliol WP333 as I believe that may have been the last aircraft delivered to the UK Armed Forces with a Merlin engine.  WP333 was delivered to the Royal Navy in December 1954.

The kit is actually quite nice in some ways - the parts fit well and it has nice fine recessed panel lines and details.   What it doesn't have is any interior except two seats.  Not even a floor!  Nor does it have a radiator to stop seeing right through the intake under the prop.   So, I scratched an interior and radiator and I added the tailhook and tailwheel device to stop it snagging the arrestor wire.   The kit wheels were too large but some old white metal ones for a Spitfire were just right.  The exhausts stacks were horrid and stuck out too much at the rear end.  I cut slots and fitted Aeroclub metal stacks that I fitted to be more recessed at the rear end.

Paints are ModelMaster Acryl Silver and Yellow. The serials and titles, and the anti-dazzle panel and walkways, are home-made decals.  So too are the landing lights because I forgot to cut the leading edges and insert some clear plastic and didn't fancy doing it after the paint was on.

39608646730_1ede2c44dc_o.jpg

39608646350_b045feeda1_o.jpg

39608645980_f692724918_o.jpg

39608645630_3d3778d2bb_o.jpg

Balliol_finished_7.jpg

Comments and criticisms (except asking why I bothered instead of buying the recent Special Hobby one) are welcomed.

David

• Like 28

Nice work - going the extra mile on interior and other details really does you credit.

Quite a cute little aeroplane that I practically did not know existed until a few years ago.

Well done!

:clap2:

Yet another example demonstrating how modelling skills and (a lot of!) TLC can transform a basic old kit into a showcase model.

Impressed and inspired! I have a couple of those old Pegasus kits in the attic, including a quite nice Kikka…

Kind regards,

Joachim

• 4 months later...

By the way, does anyone know what those little grids are on the wings just inboard of the ailerons on the top of the wings? They are engraved on the kits wings, but are pretty shallow and faint, but they do show up in photos of real aircraft. As the kit ones were lost in sanding/primering, I represented them with some decal, but have no idea what they are or what purpose they serve.