Sea King questions

Dave George

Hello all,

I am reposting this here from the newcomers thread before the moderators do.

I am planning to build a model of a particular Sea King from early 1982 at RNAS Culdrose. It was being used for the first Stingray Flight Carriage trials.

The aircraft was serial "something 97" in white on the rear of the sponson, and RAF blue/grey otherwise.

Can anyone help with the following?

1. There are three posibilities fot the actual registration according to the interweb and books ( XV645, XV648 or XV705 ). Which is correct?

2. Which squadron was it attached to?

3. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as 1/72 Stingray torpedo, and associated release unit?

Thanks.

Dave

XV645 crashed in 1970.

XV648 was 597CU with 706 in April 1980

XV705 was with 819 at Prestwick in early 82 but went to 706 in June as 596.

PM me your address and I'll send the torpedoes. How many do you want?

Have a look at this excellent thread for the release units.

WOW!!!!

Thanks all for the information, and the links, and the photos! I should have known this was the place to come.

Next question is which is the preferred manufacturer of a HAS2 kit?

Thanks.

P.S. I would add a picture of me with said aircraft, but I don't flicker, you lucky people.

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of going with the latest Airfix version because it can be buit with everything stowed. Filling the extra windows and removing aerials etc should be OK as my building is only "Stand Off" quality yet.

My only difficulty at the moment is sourcing EMRUs to hang Stingray torpedos on.

Dave.

On 15/04/2018 at 5:29 PM, andyf117 said:

I was aware of the scale difference - though quite often seeing what someone does in one scale can be translated or adapted for another...

....as Crisp's carriers are for the HAS.5 that he flew and you're intending to do the HAS.2 trials aircraft, then presumably the originals were different to the later in-service versions?

That would make sense, though I have no definite knowledge either way.  The Mk.44/46 weapon carriers were very different to the Stingray ones (they’re both much simpler weapons), and if the trials were just flight carriage, then ability to pass settings to the weapon wouldn’t be an issue.  Those trials are about how the aircraft handles with Stingray(s) attached, not how the weapon behaves; provided you could securely attach a weapon (& jettison it in emergency, maybe?), then the carrier could easily be the Mk.44/46 version.  Indeed, it probably would be, since the Stingray carrier might well not have been cleared for flight (“CA Release”) on a service aircraft yet.

However, your original question was about “1/72 Stingray and associated release unit”.  Do you actually mean the release unit (the EMRU - the electro-mechanical gubbins that holds and then eventually releases the torpedo)?  Or just the carrier?  As far as I am aware (& I flew them on and off from 1986 to 1997) here was only ever one Stingray EMRU (Seaking or Lynx), and my build has quite a lot of stuff about it (albeit half as big again - but the maths isn’t complicated). 

There is little detail publicly available about weapon carriers and/or EMRUs (unsurprisingly, since Stingray is still in service) - I’ll be amazed if you find any detail about a trials fit.  My advice would be to build what you see in your photo.

Oh, and a trial would almost certainly have been conducted by 706 NAS.

Thanks for all that. I do mean the carrier as all the EMRU gubbins is a pretty simple shape. I did a salt spray / soak test on an EMRU 22 at about the same time so that would not have had its Release then. I do remember that the Stingray was carried on two square lugs that were themselves held ono the torpedo by spring loaded rings. In fact the "springs" were tough bungees with an Explosive Rating of 1.4!

I will see if I can find any better pictures of the earlier carrier system now I know what I am looking for.

And you have also confirmed a scribbled not I found confirming 706 NAS.