1978-80 RAF decal sets

cmatthewbacon

Hi, all... For my own RAF anniversary project, based around the RAF Yearbook 1978, I'm on the hunt for 1/72 decals for some of the aircraft of RAF in the 1978-80 era: Tornado, Jaguar, Puma, Hawk, Bucc, Harrier and Lightning. I'm guessing that the appropriate Modeldecal sheets would probably offer the best "bang for the buck"... if they exist. Or maybe Almark or others of the era. All suggestions are welcome, though! ideally, I don't want to buy high-priced Model Alliance sets for only one aircraft type. So, if anyone knows of "RAF 60" anniversary sets, or RAF at RIAT 78/79, or anything of that sort, any pointers would be very much appreciated. Equally, if anyone has kit decals of the era going spare, they would be very welcome as well...

Thanks for any advice!

All the best,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

Are you going for 'all squadrons' or just one of each type? Modeldecal may have them, but even Dick didn't start covering all squadron options until later in the 80s.

The new issue of the Airfix Hawk has 151 squadron decals from aound that period,

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

SAM had some decal sheets included in the mag in their early years - some of which were available separately into the 90s -, though I can’t say whether they covered anything that suits your needs. If they did , I guess a lot of those sheets will still be floating around.

Thanks, all... I've been looking at the Modeldecal sets at Hannants, and I'm sure that's the way to go. Is there such a thing as a catalogue of the Modeldecal range that anyone has put together? Googling reveals an almost-completed "research project" discussed on ARC Air back in 2010, but no sign of the output!

I'd like to keep an eye out on eBay and Kingkit as well, but it would be good to know what "Holy Grail" I'm seeking...

Thanks again,

best,

M.

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Thanks, all... I've been looking at the Modeldecal sets at Hannants, and I'm sure that's the way to go. Is there such a thing as a catalogue of the Modeldecal range that anyone has put together? Googling reveals an almost-completed "research project" discussed on ARC Air back in 2010, but no sign of the output!

>

>

If you find one, please let us know.   

There were printed lists in old (80s) magazines, and a mail order catalogue, that I have somewhere but I don't know how complete they were.  I'll try and dig some out.

David

2 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Is there such a thing as a catalogue of the Modeldecal range that anyone has put together?

Like David said, you will find most of the info if you follow Modeltoys' ads in SAM, SMI or whatever through the years. That should give a quite complete picture, but is admittedly tedious, IIRC, the complete contents of each sheet available was listed in the ads, so that would give a nice overview. I have a number of the older sheets, with a number of duplicates (and even listed the main contents in my "buys" list !!):

MD 11 F-102, Harrier, CL-13 (14.10.00): F-102 + supplememtary serials fehlen

MD 37 F-4M/F-111 /Mirage (14.10.00)

MD 38 Mirage 5/F-84F/Provost/Bulldog (14.10.00): 1x „4“ groß bei Bulldog fehlt

MD 43 F-4EJ/Jaguar/F-84F (16.06.07): kpl.

MD 44 F-4K/Lynx /AD-4N/F-104J (16.06.07): kpl.

Those listed are the duplicates, potentially interesting subjects in bold. Please ignore the yellow highlighting, I use a colour code system in my list, and have no idea how to unhighlight here :banghead:

Here's a Modeldecals advert from SAM Apr1991 that I happen to have handy.   Obviously there are later decals not listed but there are also gaps for some of the older ones which were OOP at that time.  I don't know offhand if any of the then OOPs ever got reprinted.

David

modeldecal_apr_19910002.jpg

Having gone through my Modeldecal sheets and instructions gifted to me by Dick I think the first sheet that covers your required time frame is 49 with Sea Kings HAS1/2 OF 1978. Every thing prior to this covers an earlier time period. Sheet 50 carries a Jaguar from 1977(Silver Jubilee Review). Sheet 55 is the 1979 IAT AT Greenham. Sheet 56 carries 1978/9 Lynxs. Sheet 57 has a single Sea King HAR 3. Sheet 64 has Phantoms, Tornados & Hawks from 1981. Sheet 65 has Lightnings, Phantoms, & Sea Harriers from 1977-81. Sheet 67 has a Puma of 1980 vintage. Sheets from here on in tend to be Falklands on material although sheet 79 has a Hunter of RAE Bedford from 1980 and sheet 86 has a 1980's Hawk. hth cheers Chris

Thanks very much, all... it looks like 2 or 3 Modeldecal sheets will cover all I need, one of which Hannants has, so I'll snag that and get on with trawling eBay. Plus, of course, I must look properly in my decal stash and also see what kit decals there are in the boxes I end up with...

Thanks again!

best,

M.