Mil Mi-24 Hind - Revell 1/72

CedB

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

NATO Black on a Russian helicopter? Tsk tsk naughty boy.

Well, Russian aircraft always had the  capability to use standard NATO refuelling equipment, so it's not that much of a stretch....:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Are we allowed to "Fnar fnar" Ced on his own thread?

Though many have tried, the Fnarmaster prevails in his own kingdom...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Steady work Ced.

Small bits eh Fnar fnar, .

A small forest of bits sprayed there.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) Yes, and that's not ALL of them - I got bored.

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

NATO Black on a Russian helicopter? Tsk tsk naughty boy.

John

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Well, Russian aircraft always had the  capability to use standard NATO refuelling equipment, so it's not that much of a stretch....:D

Thanks John and Keith :) If they could use NATO refuelling I guess they got the paint...

VMA NATO black is my 'go to' matt black for spraying but gosh, it's boring in the whole cockpit. I've added other blacks to cheer things up a bit (see below)

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wolverines!

Late as usual Ced, but I found it!

Welcome Cookie :) Nice movie clip - they are impressive beasts.

4 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Point of Order M'Lud..

Are we allowed to "Fnar fnar" Ced on his own thread?

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Though many have tried, the Fnarmaster prevails in his own kingdom...

Thanks Dave and Tony :) I had reduced my double-entendres so I'm happy for anyone to take up the slack... no, not that tight (snurf snurf) :wicked:

I looked at that black cockpit and thought it needed cheering up.

Some glossier black on the cyclics, Meng black here and there, control columns painted matt and gloss ready for insertion and a bit of grey under the panel decal and we're a lot cheerier:

26587299247_4afb46e744_z.jpg

I can get the crew in now (hooray!)

We're off to Highclere tomorrow for a look around. Very Downton Abbey. Hopefully none of our party will get killed / ravished / sent into slavery.

I will, of course, be recognised as the long lost son of the Lord and finally find my true position in society; showing tours around the pile.

• Like 10

Treasonous fnaring?

No I do not think so, the fnarmaster has always appeared to encourage the free and handy fnar access in the annals of BM

I could go back page and ages

Now I DO HAVE A SERIOUS MATTER OF HEALTH AND SAFETY TO DISCUSS

That gearbox

A ring of (Oi, over there, behave) bolt holes holds the top onto the rather hefty gearbox top

In order to allow correct strength in the transmission area these bolts MUST be a: tightened up properly and b: spread the compressive forces equally top to bottom

This need the holes on the top 'cover'  and the holes in the casing to be aligned

The nuts and bolts then hold it all together, snug-ish

But these ones?

41393828042_7be039937b_c.jpg

They're awful, all distorted and bent

Can we send this poor wobblechopter back to workshops for rectifying

I bet Hendie and WAFU are sweating cobs at that

But seriously Ced, your cockpit work is taking its normal route to fabbyness, I'm only having a laff about the gearbox

Those tiny little fnarathons and such

Smashing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Watch out for the snotty butler.

John

I never saw Ced on telly at Downthing, the butler?

Is he a bit dodgy?

Ced mate, take very careful care...

Report back as soon as you are outa there

😓😱😟😲😞

Edited by perdu
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Hopefully none of our party will get killed / ravished / sent into slavery.

Oddly enough, the motto of the first cruise ship company to run package tours along the Barbary Coast...

9 hours ago, CedB said:

I will, of course, be recognised as the long lost son of the Lord

Jesus Ced.

• Haha 4

Lovely clear cockpit work Ced. 

Gotta love the colour of Russian derived cockpits and structures, 

74ae5c1c722229e95b408ea44189d962.jpg

That gearbox assembly looks damn fine as well, especially given its size and scale.   Anyhow, this is how to fit it,

Don't forget to add some cables and use the help of three fitters!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

That is the Hind at Baginton isn't it James?

The colour has the power to soothe after you hurt your bad knee climbing in

I can attest to that

So relaxing I didn't want to climb back out

"Well not just now, give me another minute

Ouch that hurts............"

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, perdu said:

That is the Hind at Baginton isn't it James?

It's the airworthy CWAM Hind in Texas, comments suggest ex Bulgarian A/F.

The Baginton example is in a fairly flash scheme, a hangover from when BAE were looking at upgrading and marketing a NATO compliant Hind!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The office looks great, Ced :clap:

If you want to push even more in terms of black shades (be them 50 or else :D ),

you can try spraying off-black as a base (a mix of black and your favourite grey) and add selective drybrushes with lighter grey tints, moving from darker to lighter. My :2c:

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 14/04/2018 at 23:31, perdu said:

Now I DO HAVE A SERIOUS MATTER OF HEALTH AND SAFETY TO DISCUSS

That gearbox...

This need the holes on the top 'cover'  and the holes in the casing to be aligned

The nuts and bolts then hold it all together, snug-ish

But these ones?

41393828042_7be039937b_c.jpg

They're awful, all distorted and bent

Thanks Bill - I shall attempt to tighten my nuts forthwith (fnaar!) :wicked:

I've trimmed your post a bit, hope you don't mind. You're not suggesting I drill them out and scratch some new ones, are you? I'm nowhere near ready for that level of modelling :)

On 14/04/2018 at 23:34, keefr22 said:

Well you had some practice with Concorde, not that much difference, is there...?!:D

K

Thanks Keith :D

On 15/04/2018 at 06:12, Biggles87 said:

Watch out for the snotty butler.

John

On 15/04/2018 at 08:10, perdu said:

I never saw Ced on telly at Downthing, the butler?

Is he a bit dodgy?

Ced mate, take very careful care...

Report back as soon as you are outa there

😓😱😟😲😞

22 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The office looks good Ced.

We hope that you don`t get sent into slavery or such.

Simon.

Back safely from Downton, thanks chaps :) Interesting place, but it only took us about 90 minutes to go around so an early lunch was had...

On 15/04/2018 at 08:11, TheBaron said:

Oddly enough, the motto of the first cruise ship company to run package tours along the Barbary Coast...

Jesus Ced.

Thanks Tony :D

23 hours ago, Courageous said:

Shades of grey black is good. I like that rear console, more consoles need to go in there?

Thanks Staurt - yep, lots more decals to go in but they're on the sidewall bits. I hope... :)

23 hours ago, 71chally said:

Lovely clear cockpit work Ced. 

Gotta love the colour of Russian derived cockpits and structures, 

That gearbox assembly looks damn fine as well, especially given its size and scale.   Anyhow, this is how to fit it,

Don't forget to add some cables and use the help of three fitters!

Thanks James - I've seen that blue/green colour in lots of reference shots but the kit instructions are less, er, bright. If it's Revell's usual 'fit to our paint range' problem then DO let me know what colour the Czech version should have.

Great video thanks. It's certainly encouraged me to include some pipes and things. :)

Thanks Bill, Keith and James for clarifying the reference shots - Bulgarian eh? :)

22 hours ago, giemme said:

The office looks great, Ced :clap:

If you want to push even more in terms of black shades (be them 50 or else :D ),

you can try spraying off-black as a base (a mix of black and your favourite grey) and add selective drybrushes with lighter grey tints, moving from darker to lighter. My :2c:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - Fifty shades! :D  I may give it all a dry brush later.

Small bits done after the trip yesterday. Bums on seats to get the right position:

27611394578_e3a056cbb7_z.jpg

... then when those were dry, torsos added:

40598293955_6c1ae78650_z.jpg

They'll get touched up once the arms are on.

I've also ordered the T-Roc, planned to be 'a keeper' and suitable for our dotage.

I would be excited if it weren't for the estimated six months delivery! I'm hoping that, as these are new RHD models, VW are quoting a 'worst case' until they get an idea of the mix of models being ordered. We shall see.

1.5 TSI DSG so like a grown up version of my current Golf GT. Also added the Park Assist and rear view camera (lazy), Winter Pack (cosy) and, as the tailgate is high when open and Mrs B isn't THAT tall, the Power Tailgate. I shall now forget all about it until it's on its way. Probably.

• Like 6

It's a cracking kit this, built one and have several mare, including Eduards Not Limited Ed boxing! Great detail for 1/72, for me it went together really well if a little fiddly. Used the colored photo-etch for the pit and the Master brass and resin gun which looks great. Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

On 14/04/2018 at 6:22 PM, Cookenbacher said:

Wolverines!

Late as usual Ced, but I found it!

Great film!  Not sure about the re-make however.  Shame they wheren't Hind-A's used in the film but actually Puma's probably the same one used in Rambo to be fair.

loving the work thus far Ced!  Those guys look very laid back in their seats huh? :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 2

7 hours ago, giemme said:

Nice progress Ced :clap:

But a six months wait for a T-ROC??? SOunds like one of my building threads :frantic:  :D  :D 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) Six months is just silly I think. The ads say 'order from April' in the UK for the 2018 model so I expect they 'guessed' which models will be popular. I'm hoping for a better delivery once the order hits the production planning, fingers crossed.

6 hours ago, Beard said:

The bloke in the front seat likes to manspread.

Outrageous, isn't he? One of the reasons I wanted to stick the bits in one by one. The figures have flat bottoms (ooer) and backs so they must  be in the intended positions. :hmmm:

4 hours ago, sailorboy61 said:

It's a cracking kit this, built one and have several mare, including Eduards Not Limited Ed boxing! Great detail for 1/72, for me it went together really well if a little fiddly. Used the colored photo-etch for the pit and the Master brass and resin gun which looks great. Enjoy.

Thanks sailorboy :) It certainly is fiddly and a LOT different from the normal two-sides assembly... I spent most of the morning trying to work out what went where for the next round of painting.

3 hours ago, Dazzio said:

Great film!  Not sure about the re-make however.  Shame they wheren't Hind-A's used in the film but actually Puma's probably the same one used in Rambo to be fair.

loving the work thus far Ced!  Those guys look very laid back in their seats huh? :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Thanks Dazz :) As above they must be right but the guy at the back has his head above the headrest. I'm hoping it won't cause problems later, although I'm not averse to a bit of surgery when it's needed!

Fiddling with the bits. The next stage in the instructions is to stick the bulkheads in and the floors together but previous builders have had fit problems so I'm wary. Dry fitting the bits I can see that the top of the fuselage doesn't meet the rear bulkhead (easy fix):

41451021812_42b7257ed1_z.jpg

... and that the front bulkheads line up with the inside of the doors so they're NOT leaning as shown in the instructions:

41451254412_7313b02b5f_z.jpg

I have no idea what those stencils say or whether they're in the right place - vague instructions again.

Now I know that last shot looks a bit like a Hendie build but please manage your expectations!! :D

• Like 7
  • Haha 1