WIP - Messerschmitt Me-110G-4 Nightfighter

Nils

I thought I might try a new approach this time and letting you in to my study to follow my WIP on a Messerschmitt Me-110G-4 Night fighter.

I started out as a C-type about a year ago. A model I never really were pleased with and so I decided to chop it up and rebuild it into a G-4.

So here's the first renders of my 'clay' model.. more to come later as progress goes on.

Me_110G4_1

Me_110G4_2

Me_110G4_3

Me_110G4_4

Me_110G4_5

Me_110G4_6

Edited by Nils
  • Like 4

An update, most of the modeeling is done but a few obvious parts still missing, guns most notable of them..

Started the first coats of textures, I've done riveting the green house style canopy and laid out the base for texturing the fuselage on the bottom picture, with the green grid.

Landing gears are mostly frinished, but a few parts still missing here too. Here's how it looks at the moment

Me_110G4_7

Me_110G4_8

Me_110G4_9Me_110G4_10Me_110G4_11

• Like 7

That's stunning - I'd love to be able to do this, but I never seem to have the time to sit down and make a start, even though I have some software to fiddle with.  I'd probably forget everything I learned within a few days anyway due to my memory :dunce:

Nils, that looks great, and I'm no 110 expert, but I'm uncomfortable with the spinner shape, to my eye they are possibly a bit too long and too conical instead of "bullethead". Also, a G-4 would likely have flame suppressors, I think.

.Thanks for the feedbacks guys

Tempestfan, yeah I’m aware of those things, the flame dampers were actually the next part I was going to do. I’ll also add new, better spinners later, with more details and propellers.

Edited by Nils

3 hours ago, Mike said:

That's stunning - I'd love to be able to do this, but I never seem to have the time to sit down and make a start, even though I have some software to fiddle with.  I'd probably forget everything I learned within a few days anyway due to my memory :dunce:

Ditto.

I was trained as a draughtsman back in the old, drafting machine and pen days and still love the aesthetics of a good technical drawing. This 3D stuff fascinates me so I'm very pleased that you are showing us the process behind your beautiful creations. Will be watching with interest.

I was trained as a draughtsman too, some fourty years ago, back in the pencil and drawing table days 😊 I wont lie and say it’s easy to start 3D, it is not. It’s bloody hard, but there’s lots of helpful and nice people around in the 3D forums (and of course a few jerks). I first joined something called Military-Meshes and was welcomed there from my first posting. There were lots of really friendly guys from all over the world, like in here, that took care of newbies and helped them getting started and stand on their own legs. There’s also tons of tutorial materials there. If you think about trying this, it can a recomended space to go. Even though their community has more or less dried out nowadays. Not sure why...

I started fooling around with this in my late 40’s..as with you guys who’s doing proper models, it’s awfully tidious and time consuming but so fun once you get the grip on it. A patient wife is a must eith the package, as she will see nothing much more than your backside every spare moment.. but I’m sure you guys already been there.

Edited by Nils
  • Like 1

tonight's update

all external surfaces are ready for starting texturing (UV laidout )

and I can start the painting job. Here's last status:

Me_110G4_12

Me_110G4_13

Roughly modelled MG81Z's

Me_110G4_14

Me_110G4_15

• Like 3

The checkered code pattern is there to see the everything is properly lined up with no stretching on the surfaces. I don’r use that pattern before painting, just the grid the model consists of.

• Like 2

Here's the UV maps, that should explain a little better what I'm saying :)

There's thousands of ways of doing this. This is how I prefer to do it.  Greenhouse file is 4096x4096

Fuselage and wings are 8196 x 8196, pretty big files, but so much easier to handle the detail work.

Greenhouse:

Demo_110_Greenhouse_UV

Fuselage:

Demo_Me_110Skrog_UV

Wings:

Demo_Me_110Ving_UV

Edited by Nils
  • Like 2

That looks very good, it always me the detail that goes into this sort of work.

Out of interest, how many hours did it take to complete those two files?

I started applying the first basic coat of paint. But I'm planning to do a G-4/R-3 of Stab III./NJG1, the plane of Major Martin Drewes, summer of 1944.

Here's current status..

Me_110G4_16

Me_110G4_19

Me_110G4_18Me_110G4_17

Edited by Nils
  • Like 2

Current status of the texturing work, I'm also still keep adding small bits and pieces.

It must have a been an aerodynamic nightmare with all the external addition to the original Me-110 design, but that aside very few could compare to it, when it comes to a beastly looking appearance.

Me_110G4_21

A little test image of the G-4 in it's right enviroment.

The background is just a temporary night sky fire scene..

Me_110G-4

• Like 3

That's coming along beautifully. Unfortunately the second picture is too dark and I can only make out the highlights.

Did you create this background as well?    

interesting work ...my first thought though was that the nose is a little too 'thick' and 'stubby'. Forward of the windscreen it curves down quite markedly before 'levelling' out to the cannon..whereas you have portrayed it as a 'straight' line..

1bf110nachjagdfrontal.jpg

Bf110G.jpg

Falke Eins that’s exactly that area I’m not satisfied with and the easiest to fix. I have the old F.nose available so I just rework it from there

Edited by Nils
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

That's coming along beautifully. Unfortunately the second picture is too dark and I can only make out the highlights.

Did you create this background as well?    

Gorby thanks, perhaps you'll need to up your monitor a little, it's fine here in my end. Of course, when lit up by background fires, it's not much light but it's also my intention. It's a night scene.

Yes I made the background too, a pretty quick Photoshop scetch really..

• Like 1

So, I think I say most of the modelling of the G-4 type, is done for now. Next will be to try to find a proper scene for it.

I've added a new nose shape and new tailfins/rudder, plus added even more extra bits.

Me_110G4_28Me_110G4_27Me_110G4_25Me_110G4_26Me_110G4_24Me_110G4_23Me_110G4_21

• Like 3

The first scetchup of a new scene for the G-4. Although another dark image (nights often are) it's always a little bit of a problem to balance realism and presentation of the model in a proper way for the spectators.

I chosed to darken the image after it was finished rendered, try to indrease the realisming. The idea is that the Lancaster passes over a opening in the dense smoke cloud cover, revealing it in a glimpse for the waiting predator.

(does anyone have an idea how much exhaust flames would be visible therough the flame dampers? if anything at all??)

Hunter

Edited by Nils
Replaced image
  • Like 2