1996 Lotus Esprit V8 (Monogram Conversion)

Hi,

in 1996 Lotus replaced the four-cylinder engines of both Esprit models (i. e. the normal S4s and the Sport 300) by their brand new 3.5 litre twin turbo V8 and called this new version simply Lotus V8, mostly omitting the name Esprit.  

As with most of my real cars I wanted to build an exact replica of my own V8 that I owned from 1996 to 2003 ( paint Norfolk yellow, interior charcoal with yellow piping, standard three-piece OZ-wheels).

It looked like this:

Compressed_0010-vi.jpg
Compressed_0011-vi.jpg
Compressed_0012-vi.jpg

At that time Monogram offered a kit of the similar Sport 300 that I used as a basis. Unfortunately this kit was a very crude update of an early Esprit, probably the S3 or the Turbo Esprit of the early eighties. The photo on the box alone showed little resemblance with the real Sport 300.

Compressed_0002-vi.jpg

Some effort was necessary. I remember the following:

1. The unit front bumper/spoiler and the rear bumper of the V8 were different from the Sport 300 (but nearly the same of the S4/S4s). Both had to be scratch-built together with the two separate exhausts and the wing below.

2. Actually the rocker valances of Sport 300 and V8 were identical, but the kit parts looked oddly angular and had to be scratch-built as well.

3. The front wheel arches had to be modified.

4. Strangely the front deck lid of the kit had some kind of reversed scoop that no Esprit ever had.

5. The kit still had the interior of the above-mentioned older Esprit (f. e. heavily roushed upholstery and boomerang style instrument pod) and had to be converted.

comp_V8001130-vi.jpg
comp_V8002130-vi.jpg
comp_V8003130-vi.jpg
comp_V8004130-vi.jpg
comp_V8005130-vi.jpg
comp_V8006130-vi.jpg
comp_V8007130-vi.jpg

• Like 13

Another stunning model Jürgen, beautifully built & finished again! And I agree the real car was gorgeous!

I've got that old Monogram kit in the stash, if I could get it anywhere near as nice as yours I'd be more than happy!

Keith

Still my [automotive] 'Grail kit'... Great build Jurgen, looks very special in this yellow, not going to be able to ignore it in a crowd !!

Ian.

As an employee of Norfolk's Premier Car Manufacturer and being a big fan of yellow sports cars this really caught my eye. Beautiful car and a beautiful replica. Having recenbtly built that kit I can really appreciate some of the work that went into it.

I envy your car and also your modelling skills!

As a matter of interest, the last car off the line was in yellow with black interior - US market one.....B)

Thanks for the replies!

On 10.4.2018 at 11:14 PM, Ian said:

Still my [automotive] 'Grail kit'... Great build Jurgen, looks very special in this yellow, not going to be able to ignore it in a crowd !!

Ian.

Indeed, but on the other hand because German street letter boxes are yellow I always had to close the side windows completely when parking the car.

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Great build, looks almost as good as the real thing..............probably more reliable though 😉

On 5/14/2018 at 12:48 PM, F-32 said:

Great build, looks almost as good as the real thing..............probably more reliable though 😉

Indeed with more reliability and better durability the V8 would have been a great car, but three complete breakdowns (fuel pump, lost clutch fluid, exploded gearbox) on a brand new car were not acceptable. Finally, when Lotus was not only unable to supply a new transmission or respective spare parts, but couldn't even say when or if they would be able to supply such parts I was fed up.

My most impreessive Lotus experience happened on a fortunately straight and less-travelled Autobahn at more than 250 kph: When opening the retractable headlights the flimsy front-hinged lid burst open and remaining open at an angle of about 45° it concealed everything but the blue sky. Very funny ...