RAF Fairchild Cornell

Hi Folks

This is the Planet Models kit of the PT19 Cornell  basic trainer used in quantity by the RAF and RCAF.

This aircraft depicts one my father flew  at No 3 Flying Instructors School in Canada when he did his flying instructors course after his first operational tour.

The future pilot instructors were greeted by the words 'gentlemen this is where we teach you to fly in a proper manner"

The kit is very nice to build, finished with Xtracolor Trainer Yellow and uses the kit decals.

Cheers

Ian

jJPpxOX.jpg
VBdzmS5.jpg
Q4LCfus.jpg
mGuJfvJ.jpg
8X7EK2z.jpg
8CeUxix.jpg

• Like 36

Very nice. Your Cornell would be called a PT-26 in the USAAF, Ian. The PT-19 has the open cockpit.

I've read the kit is rather heavy for the landing gear legs. How are they holding up?

Cheers
Wlad

Hi Wlad

The u/c legs are a bit weak,I think they have wire in the centre of the resin,they still spread a little though.

When it goes to the great storage site in the loft I’ll put a rubbber band round them to keep them square.

I meant to put PT26 but had a senior moment.

Ian

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, Bill Bunting said:

That's a beautiful model

Thank you, my father always said it flew very nicely and was the perfect introduction for basic training.

I believe it is a bit difficult to get into a spin with it, not always conducive to teaching pupils spin recovery.

2 hours ago, camper1 said:

Thank you, my father always said it flew very nicely and was the perfect introduction for basic training.

I believe it is a bit difficult to get into a spin with it, not always conducive to teaching pupils spin recovery.

It It is lovely to fly, pretty gentle but still responsive.  It cruises at a mere 105-110 mph and only 2 hrs of fuel but who's in a hurry - enjoy the scenery passing under the yellow wings.  We fly the Cornell to give the public an experience from years past when brave young men trained to go overseas and also as a tribute to the instructors and crew who trained thousands for the RCAF and RAF under the BCATP.  I would like to have met your Dad.  Cheers andspacer.png a tip of my cap!

On 9/13/2019 at 7:55 PM, Bill Bunting said:

It It is lovely to fly, pretty gentle but still responsive.  It cruises at a mere 105-110 mph and only 2 hrs of fuel but who's in a hurry - enjoy the scenery passing under the yellow wings.  We fly the Cornell to give the public an experience from years past when brave young men trained to go overseas and also as a tribute to the instructors and crew who trained thousands for the RCAF and RAF under the BCATP.  I would like to have met your Dad.  Cheers andspacer.png a tip of my cap!

Hiya Bill,..... where is that under your wing mate?

Cheers

Tony