Making a few tentative steps forward on the décor.

IMG_20180421_233053

Managed to source a couple of Fs and Hs for the fin codes. I harvested them from here,

IMG_20180421_231328

I tried masking and painting the right shape on the fin in the outline French Blue with a view to seeing what I can do with the supplied transfer and some paint etc.

As you can tell, I don't have a coherent game plan here !

IMG_20180422_010216

And up the side -- 

IMG_20180422_010206

I had to shorten the cheat-line stripe to bring the Sea Horse logo back to where it looks like it should be.

What's the opposite of "Simples..."? 

• Like 3

OK, so here is the port side transfer trimmed off the sheet and propped against the fin,

IMG_20180422_190950

And I thought, in for a penny - in for a pound....

IMG_20180422_191702

The disparity is there to be seen, but I think I can tidy this up.

The French Blue is quite a good match!😃

• Like 4

Looking good, I’m loving the blue livery. A javelin too, nice. I’m planing on doing the perdiswell javelin as I used to climb all over it when my brother rode grass track there in the late seventies early eighties. I’ll look forward to your one in the meantime. 

Johnny

• Like 1

@The Spadgent that sounds like the kind of climbing frame I'd like to have a go on! 😃

The Javelin is such a style icon at it's time -  the kit is very simple, but I bet the 1/48 Airfix is a bit classy!

I tried my luck with a bit more on the Air France décor, and while I was on the case I made a replacement beacon for the top of the fin. The one in the kit was OK, but I used PVA to stick it on the painted tailplane. 

So I don't know where it went...!

IMG_20180422_205138

And an actuator arm for the trim-tab as per the photo.

Then I went for the starboard side cheat-line as there is no door on that side.

IMG_20180422_210936

Cut aft of the last window and also in front of the front one so I can overlap the very front section with the seahorse logo to bring the logo back a bit -- as I did on the other side.

Now, the tapering end towards the tailplane.

IMG_20180422_210951

Cut to length - that offcut was intended by Italieri to go right under the tailplane. It's just wrong..

So I cut a tapering centre stripe and put it on.

Then I trimmed the light blue outer lines and put them over.

IMG_20180422_211314

I think by the time I overlay the registration lettering, that will be close.

Here's the outer lines on too.

IMG_20180422_212807

And I've got some slivers of Navy blue decal to play with that might be useful on the fin artwork.

Feels like progress.

I decided to tackle this stuff before I built on the wings so the fuselage was a bit more accessible and less awkward to handle while doing all this fiddling around 

But it has put the cart before the horse to a certain extent.

Let's see how it all pans out....🌠

• Like 3

I thought that the Air France decals didn't seem to be the right size when compared with reference photos, 

Well, @Jonners, you're not wrong!

Here's my best effort so far on the side flashes,

IMG_20180423_230545

I think the logo should be a bit bigger, but I reckon that's about all that can be achieved with the decal supplied.

A little bit of dabbling around the tailplane too,

IMG_20180423_230616

And here's the real thing ( different airframe),

IMG_201804113_105512

Little bit of an extension reqd on the white line there...

Now, propeller blades... any ideas?

Without really thinking, I went for black blades and was all set for yellow blade tips before I started looking.

I see a lot of silver blades whether bare metal or silver paint finish.

Some with black leading edges.

Often the tips are painted with a colour of the Airline décor - say, French Blue in this instance.

I'd better have a proper look, but any ideas or thoughts would be welcome!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

I see a lot of silver blades whether bare metal or silver paint finish.

They would be bare metal. props are very sensitive to imbalance. 

12 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Some with black leading edges.

Often the tips are painted with a colour of the Airline décor - say, French Blue in this instance.

I'd better have a proper look, but any ideas or thoughts would be welcome!

The black was a de-icing strip. As for your colors ? How about the french national colors ? Red inside divided by white then blue. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

How about the french national colors ? Red inside divided by white then blue. 

It's an idea!

Don't know if I can pull it off.

Could have a go!

De-icing strips.... you know, that's what they looked like to me, but I didn't know if such a thing was developed.

I do now!👍

• Like 1

Is that guy leaning out the window with a cigarette?!?

Changed days indeed!

I pressed on with the "Air France" transfers. And if you forget about the photo ref, they look OK.

IMG_20180424_140833IMG_20180424_140906

There's a bulging hinge on the back cargo door that is in the right place to cause MAXIMUM aggravation for the décor.😠

Anyway, they're on.

All I gotta do is build the plane now!

• Like 4

That's way more effort than I was prepared to put into mine, Rob! Your thread reminded me that, just like you, I compared the kit decals with reference photos and realised that there were huge differences. The wacky font on the 'Air France' lettering was the final straw or me, so (as I remembered when catching up with this thread) I printed my own very simple decals for a Tyne Tees Airways aircraft instead. Unfortunately it didn't prevent me from applying a lousy paint finish, which sealed the model's fate.

Keep up the good work - nearly there.

Jon

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jonners said:

The wacky font on the 'Air France' lettering was the final straw or me,

That's it in a nutshell!

What were they on when they compiled the decal sheet??😂

Does that mean the rest of the options on the sheet are Nuts as well?

You are making this really good Rob, the decal thing is a frustrating issue, but you certainly seem to be banging into it in fine fashion..... I have the same trouble when I want decals that don't exist, but having to make kit decals accurate is a tough job , paint matching etc..... looks like you have a real good handle on this one....... BTW, how does the 'foil' take decals?  From way over here in Canada, i looks like no problem... am I right?  looking forward to the next installment..

Jeff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Is that guy leaning out the window with a cigarette?!?

Hmmm could be a Cigarette could be a ✌️V for victory sign ?

1 hour ago, Biggu said:

BTW, how does the 'foil' take decals?  From way over here in Canada, i looks like no problem... am I right?

Rob and I both use Foil though i use Microscale foil glue and kitchen foil. Ive never had a decal issue yet. I clearcoat the foil after im done and the decals adhere pretty well to the clearcoat. Here are two recent builds my F-104. dP3XGGE.jpg

My lightning from #111 squadron. 

T6SRmOH.jpg

As you can see decals look good. Sorry Rob if i hi-jacked your thread a little. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 5

Yeah @Biggu, no real problems.

I've used various methods over time -  I've been using Johnson's Klear, I regularly use Decalset or Decalsoft now, but I use that kind of everywhere, not just foil.

To be honest I think I should have used a white primer on the top of the fuselage before the gloss went straight on the foil.

I had a plan to try out a rattle can of lacquer gloss on the whole airframe after buffing up the foil.

As it turned out, I decided to get the décor sorted before getting the wings on, but I might try out the lacquer to see how it goes on.

I'm thinking it might protect and preserve the shine.

• Like 3

I have been doing some assembling, and polishing up to see what I got.

The fit of the wings is pretty good, I must say. Just a few bits of foil to finish off in some corners.

So...

IMG_20180424_225954

IMG_20180424_230034

IMG_20180424_230133

IMG_20180424_230211

I worked out a little trick that I hope is going to give me some kind of opening option on the cooling gills on the engine nacelles.

I got a couple of pictures of what I have done, and I'll write it up and take you through it in one go.

I constructed a bracket on the door which I hope will help me hang it in the open position 

I also removed the trim-tab on the port aileron- from what I can find out that is on starboard wing only.

I ought to get a 1/72 Air hostess to stand in the doorway. She'd block the fact that I got No seats in there.

And a pilot captain hanging out of the cockpit side window, smoking a Gitannes Disc Bleu !😂

Ooh- la-la

• Like 5

Cowling...

Blackish paint around the moulded vent flaps 

IMG_20180424_212754

Strip of foil right round the nacelle part and oil cooler 

IMG_20180424_214023

Next strip long enough to go around the cowling, and (somehow I managed to...) fold a 4mm strip back on itself.

This took a couple of goes...!

IMG_20180424_214616

Then applied to the cowling, start and finish at the bottom, keep the back, folded edge in line with the moulded demarcation of the vent flaps.

Trim the front to the panel line before the front curve starts,

IMG_20180424_214752

IMG_20180424_215536

Now, with a bit of deft cutting between the flap sections....😃

They're a bit flimsy but I think they will be workable.

The front curve sections can be done in 4 sections. Don't start from one edge - get it on the middle of the section...

IMG_20180424_221644

..... and work out round the curve to the edges.

Done.

Also, here's my door hinge mounting bracket thing to help me get the door on- that thing should fit inside the fuselage curve when trimmed.

IMG_20180424_221656

Just thought, I could use a strip of pie -dish Ali along the edge of the strip instead of doubling the sticky foil over.

That would give the flaps a bit more metal structure.

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 4

I have been fiddling a bit with precious little modelling time, but I've had a bit of fun doing some "gender reassignment" on one of the gunners from the Airfix Gunship Dakota.

IMG_20180428_143919

IMG_20180428_143651

I'm hoping she'll go in the doorway, with some steps maybe.

I've had a look at the old Airfix kit.... it's Rough!

And thick!😃 

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 2

Rob, you are nailing this one, the tail logo looks great, I seriously have to tuck into this foil idea... your results are great............. just wondering will they be serving a meal on this flight??  love it Rob... great job, thanks for sharing, I seem to be learning new things ... awesome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1