I wasn't intending to do a WIP on this fairly quick build.

But there's a couple of processes I want to try out (for the first time), and I thought I would document it, success or not.

Here's the kit...

IMG_20180323_225252

And pretty plain and simple it is, too.

I suspect the mould is fairly old although the panel lines are engraved. It was originally a military version I think, and the cabin seats are the lengthways benches that paratroopers would sit on.

I have no interest in unseen internal details anyway.

What you do get in the Box is THIS...

IMG_20180323_225330

THAT'S RIGHT!

6 civilian livery options.

Swissair, Air France, Lufthansa, Classic Air, Alitalia, KLM 

Now, I'm new to this Civilian airline business, but it is growing on me for sure.

Because I do love a good natural metal finish on an airframe, and I do it with sticky back aluminium foil.

So the plan is this....

Gloss white rattle can on top of the fuselage, buffed up Ali tape on the rest, and get some practice in with those long decorative stripes along the window line.

I'm fancying the Air France option for now - love the overall appearance and that fabulous winged seahorse logo, although I have to say the Lufthansa option comes a very close second.

I ought to point out that the KLM option has gone already.

I was well along building a Beech Model 18 Expeditor, the military version C45 with either USAF or Royal Navy décor, when I got the DC3 home 

I should say the Beech is in 1/48 scale, and the overall size is quite similar to the DC3 in 1/72.

So I came up with "De Vliegende Hollander" KLM option.

IMG_20180403_223346

And a great deal of enjoyment was had doing it!

I'll post this, and gradually get up to date with the build so far.👍

• Like 10

Excellent choice, Rob; I started to do exactly the same kit option about 4 years ago and even filled the cabin with a suite of blue airline seats made from balsa. Unfortunately the kit didn't make it to the finishing post, mainly because I was very dissatisfied with the finish, and was subsequently sacrificed in a fit of pre-house-move decluttering. I still have the other decal options, plus most of the decals from the kit's previous release. If I remember correctly I thought that the Air France decals didn't seem to be the right size when compared with reference photos, but of course I could be wrong.

The seats were a bit of a faff but don't need to be perfect, as you can't see much through the windows - but you can see enough for it to be quite obvious if they aren't there! Copied your 'quick build' concept, and your plan to focus on trying out new concepts gets the thumbs-up from me.  The polished aluminium tape idea has got me thinking, especially as I'm toying with the idea of a silver and white C-47 / DC-3 myself.

Great looking Beech 18, by the way!

Jon

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

it's painting that worries me.

Before i got my new airbrushb I used Rattlecans. The trick is to go with multiple light easy coats. Build the paint up gradually. Also if you have micromesh or high grit wet/dry sanding film in the 1200+ range, wet sand between coats of paint. It will build up smooth and even in the end. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Dig out a Dakota and give it a go!

Hmmm, there's a challenge!  I'll be working away at Caernarfon for a few days starting this week and while I am there I intend to have a nosey around in the excellent model shop in Porthmadog. Who knows what I might come out with??

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jonners said:

a nosey around in the excellent model shop in Porthmadog. Who knows what I might come out with??

Or a nice little Beech 18 in 1/48....

and then you can make one up with you're décor options!!

• Like 1

On 4/9/2018 at 11:07 PM, Jonners said:

I intend to have a nosey around in the excellent model shop in Porthmadog. Who knows what I might come out with??

Its a great shop. I popped in there a few weeks ago while on me hols.  Unfortunately I only came out with tweasers. :christmas:

looking forward to this Rob. More silver. :lol:

Long John Sil......... :)

sorry.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

There has been  progress, because I've been working on the model,  instead of writing on here.

That's a good sign build-wise, but it doesn't make for a lightning thread, does it?!

I didn't beat about the bush with the interior . No scratching rows of seats from balsa wood for me - that's not what this build is about, and it holds no interest for me.

I did release the rudder pieces from the fuselage sides with a view to putting some deflection on it.

IMG_20180403_223104

So, then it was all about applying foil on the bottom of the fuselage up to the bottom of the windows 

Because the decal stripes are plenty wide, I don't need to make a precise line between top and bottom.

So rather than start masking individual windows, I just covered the whole window strip and pressed on to spray white paint.

IMG_20180407_222054

A few dramas on the way, like a cockpit side window coming adrift and eventually falling inside (it's still rattling around in there),  but never mind.... press on!

• Like 3

.......at the front, leading edge area.

Back where the trailing edge/ flaps join the fuselage, it was looking a little bit dippy on the centre line.

IMG_20180408_222337

It needed straightening to bring it out to meet the flaps.

The inner floor is too flimsy to offer support, so I carved a length of sprue, tapering the ends, to fit across inside as a strengthening piece.

IMG_20180408_222653

Definitely improved the joint situation!

IMG_20180408_221617

• Like 6

When I was doing the Twin Beech, I was caught out by the inadequate design for the prop assembly.

Basically, they're placed - or glued - on to the shafts that protrude from the Radials...... that is IT!

I hadn't seen it coming, and had to retro-fit a solution that had to include the propeller spinners whether I wanted them or not.

IMG_20180325_202054

So I was keen to get the situation sorted out with this one.

The kit design is fair enough in this case, and I would have gone along with it.

But @Corsairfoxfouruncle recommended having removable props on long shafts properly done, and the idea appealed to me.

Because removable props mean I can get to the nacelles and cowlings easily for cleaning and polishing etc.

And it was time to make an effort with prop engineering!

So I bought some Ali tube from the LMS , one a perfect fit inside the other, and set about drilling and fitting while the parts were easily accessible (rather than already glued into and inside a cowling!)

IMG_20180407_225918

IMG_20180407_225932

IMG_20180407_230401

IMG_20180408_221708

And of course the cowlings can be assembled with the engines, and foiled at my leisure with the props safely put to one side out of harm's way.

Result!

I'm well pleased with that, Dennis!

Thanks for the nudge.

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 7

Just spent a great day at the Poole Vikings annual show.

Got a bit of shopping in...

IMG_20180414_181429

You may notice an Airfix AC47 Gunship at the bottom of the stack.

It's not going to end up like that, I can tell you!

Lufthansa perhaps?

😉

I took the little Beech along for the club display, and a couple of others to go on our table.

👍

• Like 6

Hi Rob, interesting little project here, I shall tag along if I may? I am intrigued by this metal foil idea, where do you get that sort of thing from, and what should I ask for? :D

Hi @clive_t, it's a roll of sticy-back Aluminium foil tape that builders use for, say, joints on foil -faced foam insulation etc.

There's a few different widths, I'm using 75mm/3" .

Here's the basic kit,

IMG_20180312_000912

Any building supplies or diy place should have it, or a friendly builder might give you a couple of feet.

I'll try to put up a link to the Beech build thread your welcome to have a read through.

And you're more than welcome on board this malarkey!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So, the wing centre section seated in quite well in the end, and the last bits of foil there.

IMG_20180412_202338

I have the tailplanes on too.

Elevators separated - Italieri do make this easier than some makers.

I wanted to let the tailplane foil cover the joint and onto the part that is on the fuselage moulding.

This seems to tally with the photo references I have.

IMG_20180412_202748

IMG_20180412_203019

That's my little rivetting tool that I run across the foiled area as required - here it's along the t e where the elevator will join.

IMG_20180412_202831

It was only a couple of quid from a textiles/home-furnishings dept.

• Like 6

Starting to nitpick, because I'm looking for photo references -  quite often spoils the fun, doesn't it?😠

Not much material on F-BEFH but I found this,

p170695073-3

Complete with astrodome!!

AIR FRANCE type face is just plain wrong, and the tailfin décor is Out.

I can't see if the reg.letters on the sheet have a white outline as required, and the side flashes should taper to a point beneath the tailplane.

Pffff ... shouldn't go looking, should I!?

• Like 4

So here is a rather well finished example of the Italieri DC 3,

imageproxy

p170695073-3

Thought long and hard about switching to the Lufthansa styling, but I think I'm going to push on with this one.

I have the dome supplied in the box, and if it is going to be fitted - now is the time.

I can do nothing about the typeface, but I can have a go at adjusting the tapering on the cheat-line.

And if the builder of the plane above has used the kit decals, then it looks like they've got white borders.

If this goes bad I've always got other options on the sheet.

I have had a rummage in the Airfix version. It's even earlier. The AC47 mod came out in 1973, but the original Dakota was launched in 1960 according to my book.

IMG_20180417_224738

That would be a nice one to do!

It's interesting to compare the two.

Italieri have gone for pronounced engraved panel lines, and Airfix have produced a Galaxy of little raised rivets, and I don't think they are too accurate in places!

But all the control surfaces are separate, and even hinge-able.

Excuse me while I start drilling a large hole in the roof of my plane!😂 

Edited by rob Lyttle
Silver City picture
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So the final drill bit I used (in my hand -  gingerly!) was a 9mm...

IMG_20180417_230638

😨

Little bit of creaking in the centre seam, but it could have been worse...

I didn't go clean through - just kept easing it out with the countersink V on the bit, and stopped before the hole was big enough for the lens to drop through.

IMG_20180417_231335

I think a little bit of delicate paint -work around the rim will settle it in.

Hope I don't change my mind again...

• Like 5

Progress is a bit slow at the moment with other things to do, but I have found something (else) to do a bit of research on for future project.

So, I posted this last week...

40560729995_e663c01b5e_b.jpg

and mentioned the DC 3 at the bottom of the pile.

But top of the pile, in a poly bag , none other than a Gloster Javelin😃 

Been fancying One for some time - what a great aeroplane from a great Era!

Well I'm not a big enthusiast of camo/splodge type paint jobs. I hate trying to do it and I don't really enjoy the results usually.

Look what I found....

Bare Metal Javelin, RAF Leuchars

14770833dbf0a3a7584b030693771a86

What the Navy would describe as "The Admiral's Barge".

I need to have a good look in the bag to see what I've got, but that definitely looks more my style!

Later😃

IMG_20180420_004224

That canopy looks right.

FAW9.

And Fire streak missiles!

I think we're on👍

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 4