Silent Running Drones

These little fellas are 1/6th scale, made from resin kits from Model Prisoners in the US. I modified them to have articulated legs and working headlights.

I think if you click on the photo you should be able to see the other pictures in the same album.

P3250364.jpg

Edited by Camwader
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Some years ago I found a download for paper versions of these guys.

I just did a search and found this site which I think is the one I used.

I put balsa inside them to make them more solid & used UHU glue.

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww7a.biglobe.ne.jp%2F%7Esf-papercraft%2Fsf%2FSilent.html

Edit: I read somewhere that they can be printed onto photographic paper which would be better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments guys.

John_W  I've got an idea for a base, but haven't got around to it yet - too many competing projects on the go.

Pete in Lincs  It was seeing some paper models like those (there's usually a variety on ebay) that made me look to see what else I could find, and led to the ones I bought - for a vast amount more than the paper ones.

Hans  If I ever get round to articulating the manipulator arms you can be sure they'll be playing poker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Excellent work. Very evocative.

A great film which was made more poignant by the choice of music.

I look forward to seeing the 1/6th scale bio-dome and these guys doing some gardening!

Your next mission, should you choose to accept it, is the existentially challenged 'Bomb' from Darkstar.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Badder said:

Excellent work. Very evocative.

A great film which was made more poignant by the choice of music.

I look forward to seeing the 1/6th scale bio-dome and these guys doing some gardening!

Your next mission, should you choose to accept it, is the existentially challenged 'Bomb' from Darkstar.

Rearguards,

Badder

Too true about the score, it really makes the film...off to google now..

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Struggling to wrap my brain around the photography setting, These look like they are full size. Only the left of the photo gives any indication that they are small models on a table, the rest of the presentation is perfect perspective.

4 hours ago, Chaz Gordon said:

Struggling to wrap my brain around the photography setting, These look like they are full size. Only the left of the photo gives any indication that they are small models on a table, the rest of the presentation is perfect perspective.

Everything is 1/6th scale  - the drones and the garage setting. The link to the album in the original post doesn't seem to work any more, so here's a new one:

Silent Running Drones Flickr Album

• Like 1

Nice that Bruce Dern liked your work - as we all do. I liked nearly everything about the film, but always felt sorry for the unfortunate fate of his three fellow astronauts who were just doing their job, without having his true connection with Nature (I realise that the script "forced" Lowell to do what he did). Space exploration can be tough .... I wonder did his first name, Freeman, indicate that his character represented someone standing out against cold authority and bureaucracy? 

• Like 1

ohh, they're wonderful! I watched Silent Running way back and was always fascinated with the robots. I got the movie on DVD some months ago, and it holds up surprisingly well :) And imagine actually getting feedback from Bruce Dern himself, just incredible!

• Like 1