Casting rubber

colinlp

An off the wall question here but maybe someone can take a guess for me.

I cut the tip off a finger a few years ago at the nail base, I also play bass guitar which is a problem. I made a thimble out of Polymorph a few years ago which has worked OK but is a little bulky and and sounds like a hammer hitting the string even with some leather padding. I've tried a few things over the years to make a better version but so far no luck. Recently I've heard of the rubber that can be used for moulds (molds?). Do you think it would be durable enough to be made quite thinly to peel on and off my fingertip without splitting? The tip would be protected by a leather pad so wear wouldn't be an issue.

Sorry for the totally off topic question but i\ hope someone may have an idea, maybe as to a brand or type too

Thanks

No moulding rubber I use or know of would last more than a few on & offs. It rips apart too easily, the thinner it is the quicker it'll rip through

An idea/suggestion; carve a bit of wood to the shape of your finger. Shape a piece of leather over it and then dip into boiling water. This may take a few attempts to get just right. The leather will shrink and harden. It will become a thin hardened cover for your finger

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/04/2018 at 01:06, Black Knight said:

No moulding rubber I use or know of would last more than a few on & offs. It rips apart too easily, the thinner it is the quicker it'll rip through

An idea/suggestion; carve a bit of wood to the shape of your finger. Shape a piece of leather over it and then dip into boiling water. This may take a few attempts to get just right. The leather will shrink and harden. It will become a thin hardened cover for your finger

Thanks, sorry for the delay, been away for a couple of weeks. I've tried leather but it tends to stretch and come loose after an hour or so. There are ready made versions available but they are horrendously expensive and only come in a couple of sizes from the states with no returns accepted so I'm reluctant to shell out a small fortune on a chance it will fit.

Another thought, perhaps I could use the rubber to make a mould of my finger and then cast a replica to send them, do you think that might be viable? I have no experience of doing anything like that