The Flying Taxi - HLX Boeing 737-400 in 1/144

This model is my contribution to the current Boeing 737 STGB.

Hapag-Lloyd Express aka HLX was a German low-cost airline which was established in 2002 and operated until 2007 when it became part of TUIfly.  The airline used the slogan "Fliegen zum Taxipreis" (Fly for the cost of a taxi fare) and their aircraft were painted in an eye-catching livery inspired by  the Yellow Cabs in New York.

The kit is by DACO.  Yellow paint is Humbrol 99 buffed up and coated with Klear and the light grey on the engines and lower fuselage is Xtracolor X371. Contrary to what most decal manufacturers say these areas were NOT white, a mistake commonly made in relation to KLM as well.  The wings and tailplanes are painted with Halfords Racking Grey. Livery decals are a mixture of BOA, Drawdecal and Brasil decals.  Detail decals came from the kit sheet and windows and landing lights are by Authentic Airliners.  The build thread is here for anyone who is interested.

Thanks for looking and as always constructive criticism is welcome

Dave G

27467485698_0f751c2884_b.jpg

26467791727_6c2ebcd5f1_b.jpg

27467485098_e72586d975_b.jpg

27468178548_f35b0e0570_b.jpg

41339396561_148441830d_b.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

I just love this one Dave! That yellow looks spot on!B)

I really like the NY taxi look to this livery and you've inspired me to do an -800 in the billboard version.

For the icing on the cake could you run a soft pencil round the flaps to add just a little detail to the wings? In my experience wings are never clean!

Cheers,

Ian

PS, I guess we'll have to wait even longer for your Park Inn A319 now!

Edited by Turbofan
  • Like 1

Thanks Ian.  Good point about the wings.  I probably rushed the model a bit because of all the other stuff (modelling and non-modelling) that I've got on just now.  I finished it this morning and then realised it was dry outside so I just went ahead with the photos there and then rather forgetting about weathering.  I'll get that sorted before the model goes on display at the Perth show later this month.

Dave