Bristol F.2B Fighter

The Brisfit was first flown in 1916 and entered service with the RFC in April 1917. No. 38 Squadron were the first occupants of Stamford (Wittering) and by July 1917 were flying the F.2B. No 5 Training Station at Easton-on-the-Hill was equipped with them from 1918 to 1919. No. 138 Squadron was formed from newly qualified pilots transferring en bloc from Training Depot Stations, ‘A’ Flight was provided by No. 5 Training Depot Station, Easton-on-the-Hill, ‘B’ Flight from No. 1 Training Depot Station, Wittering (renamed 10-04-18 after the forming of the RAF). Easton and Wittering also supplied pilots for Nos. 130 and 155 Squadrons. The Brisfit continued in RAF service until 1932.

413846103.jpg

413846102.jpg

413846101.jpg

413846104.jpg

413846105.jpg

413846106.jpg

413846107.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

That looks great and thanks for the background info.  I was wondering how this model stacked up, being pretty ancient these days, and I must say your treatment looks terrific.  Is that fine line or stretched sprue for the rigging?  Either way it looks really good.  Might have to see if I can get hold of one of these for a post-War silver version.  I've built the Roden kit which is nice with good detail but attaching the lower wing to the fuselage was a bit of a pig.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

Is that fine line or stretched sprue for the rigging?  Either way it looks really good. 

Cheers, I use Aeroclub elasticated rigging thread (I have some EZ-Line but I keep forgetting to use it) :whistle:

36 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Cheers, I use Aeroclub elasticated rigging thread (I have some EZ-Line but I keep forgetting to use it) :whistle:

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

Nice model, I liked it! I buit this same kit a while ago and I used a type of silicone-based clear elastic thread (for sewing finishing, I think) for rigging. I had no EZ-line at the time.

• Thanks 1

Just now, stringbag said:

Airfix.  1/72 scale according to the tags.

Wake up in the back there. :tease:

Chris.

Obviously missed my edit !  Not just the only sleepy around here (had a hard day at work today is my excuse!):lalala:

Selwyn

• Haha 2

• 4 months later...
On 10/04/2018 at 21:54, Ratch said:

Thanks for your interest guys - now back to sleep :sleep_1:

Oh, no - we need to wake up again! Ratch, I'm building one of these over on the Airfix Golden Years GB and have reached the stage of getting the struts and the top wing on, a very 'character-building experience'!

The instructions for the small struts (cabane?) between top wing and fuselage say to use the longer struts at the front - well, I have done that but now find that the shorter struts for the back are too short. Looking at your excellent build, it looks like you have managed to fit them in but with the longer ones at the back. Can you remember how you found this part of the construction? Many thanks. Mike.

Nice model, especially in this small scale! I'm doing a Fighter in 1/48  :nodding:

Only a small remark - you can try to do the wood painting on the prop in longitudinally direction. To take the centrifugal force all layers of wood are used in that direction.

Cheers,

Frank

5 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Oh, no - we need to wake up again! Ratch, I'm building one of these over on the Airfix Golden Years GB and have reached the stage of getting the struts and the top wing on, a very 'character-building experience'!

The instructions for the small struts (cabane?) between top wing and fuselage say to use the longer struts at the front - well, I have done that but now find that the shorter struts for the back are too short. Looking at your excellent build, it looks like you have managed to fit them in but with the longer ones at the back. Can you remember how you found this part of the construction? Many thanks. Mike.

Hi Mike, I really can't remember (I've built a few other things since then), here's the WIP thread (if it helps)

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/2018-airfix-raf-100-gb-1918-1938-ratch-s-bristol-f-t52257.html

2 hours ago, Bughunter said:

Only a small remark - you can try to do the wood painting on the prop in longitudinally direction.

Can't remember why I did this one that way :doh: