1/48 UH-1C Gunship, Vietnam, 1970

This is Monogram's 1/48 UH-1C kit.  Its a pretty descent representation of the Charlie model with 2.75 inch rockets and 40 mm "chunker" on the nose.  It even comes with the fat, 540 rotors and wide cord tail.  One mistake I see on a lot of UH-1 models is that many builders paint the laminations at the blade root the same color as the rotor mast.  These laminations were covered with an epoxy type coating, then painted the color of the blade.  Vietnam birds main rotors were painted either OD or black.  Many UH-1Cs were converted to the Mike model and soldiered on in the National Guard until the late 80s.  Crews generally loved them because they carried two door gunners which could cover their break off a target, thus protecting their rear.  Hope you like my Plain Jane UH-1C typical of attack helicopter platoons in Vietnam, around 1970.  Monogram even got the window shapes correct as you can see from my bird in the last photo.  Handsome devil! (Need more helicopter models on Britmodeller.)

photo 2 (19)

photo 4 (13)

photo 3 (15)

photo 1 (21)photo 5 (6)

photo 2 (20)

photo 3 (16)

IMG_3636

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Like 22

• CMSCHLOM changed the title to 1/48 UH-1C Gunship, Vietnam, 1970

I've found that the fit of the glazing is ok if you are very patient with assembling the  cabin and clamping as much as you can and letting it really set before going on to the next step. The real bugbear is the  cabin roof windows which are basically too small and flat. Tey should curve  down at the outboard ends  but as the kit roof itself is flat  rather than having a  radius at its outboard edges theres not really any way round this.  Having used a recent mould Hog kit as the base for an Airforce UH-1F , I was surprised at   how well the kit held up   moulding wise and in general accuracy, other than  with regard to the well known  mixture of features it contains.

Edited by matti64
  • Like 1