1/72nd Airfix, Mitchell Mk.II, 98 Sqn, RAF Dunsfold, 1944.

That's a cracker Tony,as stated the extra detail you add and research goes way beyond what most of us consider and it show's inthe final build and 

finishing!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

Great job Tony, nice to see you build this as a Mk II, I'll certainly be building one or two for our Bomber Command SIG.

That's good news, looks like the problem was down to the test-shot sample. I mentioned it to the team at Telford after they asked me how I'd got on with the kit... if there was an issue it seems to have been ironed out.

General, sir, glad to see you got the silly blighters sorted out on this! Nothing straightens out a wayward chap(s) better than the threat of doing double-time around the parade grounds in full gear, in the rain, backwards. By the way, Tony, lovely job on the Mitchell! I must pick me up one of these, to do it in the proper Soviet markings, of course.

Bestest,

Jason

• Like 2

That's a terrific looking Mitchell Tony.  Great attention to detail to replicate the real thing.  I really like the different shades of Olive Drab which match the photos perfectly. 

• Like 1

Nothing straightens out a wayward chap(s) better than the threat of doing double-time around the parade grounds in full gear, in the rain, backwards. By the way, Tony, lovely job on the Mitchell! I must pick me up one of these, to do it in the proper Soviet markings, of course.

Actually Zhukas the best way to straighten 'em out is to actually MAKE them do double-time around the parade grounds in full gear, in the rain, backwards...(battle shorts down around their ankles of course).

Now you could have some fun with weathering that Soviet camo scheme...The AMW editor gave me a copy of their Combat Machines No2 book to go with the build and that includes a lot of really useful images of all versions of the aircraft, including the Rooskie ones, if you haven't already it's well worth getting hold of.

• Like 2

Lovely build. It really looks "alive". 

On a side note, the mention of RAF Dunsfold just reminds me that I read over the weekend that planning permission for 1,800 homes has been granted for the former airfield. I hope that the street names reflect the various aircraft and aircrew that operated out of the aerodrome.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

Lovely build. It really looks "alive". 

On a side note, the mention of RAF Dunsfold just reminds me that I read over the weekend that planning permission for 1,800 homes has been granted for the former airfield. I hope that the street names reflect the various aircraft and aircrew that operated out of the aerodrome.

Sad to hear that the building is to go ahead. Wonder what will happen to the VC-10 and other aircraft out on the 'field'??

( One good thing, it''l stop that silly Top Gear stuff:tmi:)

PhenomenalTony, and those stripes are really outstanding. You've really captured the essence of the original aircraft with the weathering and variation of colours on the fins/ruddders for example. Just great.

Justin

• Like 1

Thanks everybody,...... cheers for your very kind remarks and glad you like it.

5 hours ago, CMSCHLOM said:

How did you get those seam lines out?

Seam lines,.....I sanded it as best I could, then added some filler to the seams and sanded it again,.....here is another one that I am building now in the Mitchell Group Build,.....just after finishing the sanding stages, ready to paint;

40450490545_1066dff3f8_k.jpgDSCF2866 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

Nice build Tony, had a feeling somebody here would do an RAF one very quickly !!. Still waiting for Eduard to release a set of kit-specific masks before I attempt mine.

Ian.

• Like 1

Very inspiring build!

That worn-off invasion stripes look great.

I just got my copy of the 1/72 Airfix Mitchell yesterday, and would like to do an RAF machine as well.

Your model got me in the mood to start right now!

• Like 1