Revell Solo: a star wars story kits

On 7.4.2018 at 18:04, spruecutter96 said:

Just to state the very obvious ("Build-and-play model kit" and "6+"), there are no prizes for guessing the section of the market these kits are aimed at. Revell had to match the quality of the kits to the people that were going to be buidling them. This will leave experienced, adult modellers feeling somewhat cheated and I can very much see why...

Mind you, if these are priced at the (very high) levels I would expect, all bets might be off.  

Please don't read this post as snide or patronising - its certainly not intended to be read like that. 

Cheers.

Chris. 

I just do not agree with the idea that build-and-play must be void of detail and out of proportion. There should be away to please both ends - the kids and the "real modellers". Hmmm.... in fact these Build-and-play remind me of the old Kenner action vehicles which sometimes had very odd shapes (and yes - we as kids noticed this too of course, but there was no alternative). Looking at the now Hasbro vehicles these have become a lot better IMHO.

The new Solo vehicles are not to my taste anyway but looking at the 1:144 Bandai Falcon I maybe will be picking one up. Looking at the Revell kits I will surely pass. Again (like I passed Revells The Last Jedi and Rougue Squadron Kits).

If Revell has to pay about 1.000.000 USD to Disney for licene of SW (and others) I cannot understand that they put more effords into the brand. They can do nice kits (only have to chnge the odd scales), and I am sure these would sell fair enough. Rant over :-(

4 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

I just do not agree with the idea that build-and-play must be void of detail and out of proportion. There should be away to please both ends - the kids and the "real modellers". Hmmm.... in fact these Build-and-play remind me of the old Kenner action vehicles which sometimes had very odd shapes (and yes - we as kids noticed this too of course, but there was no alternative). Looking at the now Hasbro vehicles these have become a lot better IMHO.

The new Solo vehicles are not to my taste anyway but looking at the 1:144 Bandai Falcon I maybe will be picking one up. Looking at the Revell kits I will surely pass. Again (like I passed Revells The Last Jedi and Rougue Squadron Kits).

If Revell has to pay about 1.000.000 USD to Disney for licene of SW (and others) I cannot understand that they put more effords into the brand. They can do nice kits (only have to chnge the odd scales), and I am sure these would sell fair enough. Rant over :-(

While i really doubt they paid anywhere near the same amount of money as for Star Wars, i also find it strange that they've licensed the Halo IP and so far have only made 2 "build-and-play" kits from that as well. They seem to really only be using them for the toy-like stuff even though there's so much, much more potential with those IPs.

• Like 1

On 09/04/2018 at 5:49 PM, VMA131Marine said:

The Enterprise had inertial dampers: although they never seemed to work when the ship was under attack.

There were those folding restraints (or whatever) on the bridge seats of the refitted Enterprise in ST:TMP. We saw them used (and work) in the wormhole sequence, but maybe that shorted them out or something, because I don't remember seeing them after that or in any of the subsequent films.

And, of course, we know the real reason why the E had no seat belts or equivalent before that: "Word of God" from the producers was that if they'd had seat belts, the actors couldn't fall all over the bridge!

Edited by Tarkas
Text was repeated
  • Haha 1