1/72 RAF Sabre

After a brief hiatus it's back to the Cold War RAF modelling, and what better way to resume than with an RAF Sabre F.4.

I'm thinking I'll do it as a 4 Sqn aircraft as these markings are quite eye-catching. I was going to make a 92 Sqn one with silver undersides, but I don't have any suitable XD serials, so I'll have to see if I can use the kit ones for an XB serialled jet and maybe swap some numbers around or look in the spares bag.

Looks like the kit has the '6-3' leading edges, so I'll need to make sure I pick the right serial for this too.

2m7wvgp.jpg

• Like 4

I'm 1st for a seat! :popcorn: I have a number of these kits and the same decal sheet, so I'll be watching this with interest.

I haven't used the Airfix Sabre kit yet in my builds but I've been informed that you'll need to move wing fences and pylons inboard to correct positions, if you're worried about such things.

• Like 1

I didn't know that about the fences and pylons, thanks. Though I think the latter will be easier to move, I'll check the kit against a photo and see how far off they are!

• Like 1

Lord Riot, ... check out my 'RFI' (somewhat restored after the PB fiasco) for the measurements for moving the wing fences and the drop tanks.  They're too far outboard on the kit, OOTB, regardless if the build is for a RAF F.4 OOTB or a Sabre Mk.5 .  FWIW, both were externally identical once the RAF retro-fitted the 6-3 hard-edge wing to their Sabre Mk.4's .  It was initially delivered to the RAF. (and remained so for a period) fitted with the narrow-cord, slatted wing.

.http://s15.zetaboards.com/72nd_Aircraft/topic/809310/1/#entry22084578 

Moving the wing fences is very easy.  Simply cut away the existing wing fence and cut a slot for the new location of the wing fence in the upper wing half.  Then slide a suitably sized piece of plastic sheet into the slot.  Finalize the shape of the fence once it's firmly secure.  As for the drop tanks, simply fill the existing holes & drill new ones for the pylons, in the proper location.  If you think you might replace the canopy as I did (but don't have a Heller canopy lying around), I've since found that the Pavla vac canopy matches the Heller canopy, perfectly in terms of shape and a corrected framing. However, the rear decking will have to be shimmed to account for the correct foot-print of the Heller/Pavla canopy/'hood'.  The kit is too 'pinched' in it's taper.

I guess the image doesn't show in the 'tweeted' link, so here it is...

Sabre_5_RFI_-_1.jpg

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley
  • Like 1

Wing fence is a bit further outbd:

6-3 top

It's round about wing station 164.813 (see above), but be careful: that "164.1 inches": I'm not sure it's measured at right angles to the aircraft centre line. I think it's measured from the extended wing leading edge where it intersects the aircraft CL (I bow to anyone who can confirm or clarify however!). I think this may explain why the Airfix fence is so far outboard - if they measured 164.813 inches (or thereabouts) from the CL at 90 degrees rather than at an angle of +/- 35 degrees (the leading edge isn't exactly 35 degrees). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Scott, so am I right in marking the new position of the slats as below? That would be 40mm from the wing root.

A little too close inboard.  Look at Sabrejet's drawing and note it's position to various panels on the wing ... but you're close.  Actually, your pencil was right over the position.  What I did to get the position was to tape the wings/fuselage together then with the ruler up against the fuselage, mark it from there.

Just  quick word about nose weight, seeing that one photo you posted.  A good place for weight is 1/2oz cradled as far fwd in that 'box' that's created when you put the wing halves together.  That's at a point fwd of the MLG and there's lots of room in that fuselage so that it doesn't interfere with the cockpit interior.

Scott

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scott Hemsley said:

Just  quick word about nose weight, seeing that one photo you posted.

Hi,

Ive just started this one also. I need to look at that wing fence position so thats helpful.

Here is my solution for the nose weight. I like to get it as far forward of C of G as possible, so I build a box, shaped it to fit then superglued Liguid Gravity in place.

20180406_22022620180408_083226

Cheers

Terry

• Like 2

Good tip Terry, thanks - just ordered some lead shot!

I like the little extra work you did on the seat too, the original looks a bit basic doesn't it. I think I need to get some plastic card!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

I like the little extra work you did on the seat too, the original looks a bit basic doesn't it.

Well done on the lead shot, and thanks for the comments on the seat. Yes a bit basic, so I added some thin card with the folds scored in. Need to think what else to do in the cockpit without going overboard.

I'm close to finishing an Avon Sabre which has a WIP on here, but I so love sabres I had to start my next one. I have another Airfix after this one, several Fujimi F's, two Hasegawa D's and a Special Hobby K! I also finished a Special Hobby H last year. I'll probably post an RFI for that shortly.

Cheers

Terry

• Like 1

Sounds good Terry, that's a whole squadron of Sabres! I just have the one for now.

Will you be adding any seatbelts? I'm wondering about cutting masking tape for those.

2 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Will you be adding any seatbelts? I'm wondering about cutting masking tape for those.

Yes I will do seatbelts and most probably from masking tape. Need to find some good pics though.

20 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I'll also being using your tips Terry. I also have a certain love for the F86 Sabre, so much so, that I have LOTS of Sabre kits, some say, too many.

Carry on my Lord Riot.

Glad to know my tips help!

Who says you may have too many sabres? ............. you can never have too many sabres!

Terry

13 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Yes I will do seatbelts and most probably from masking tape. Need to find some good pics though.

Glad to know my tips help!

Who says you may have too many sabres? ............. you can never have too many sabres!

Terry

That's how I feel about Vulcans! But they take up a bit more space!

• Like 1

Fuselage joined. Despite the instructions suggesting 3g, I used 6g weight just behind the cockpit, after falling foul of a Canberra a while back.

Following some excellent info from @Scott Hemsley and @Sabrejet I'll need to modify a couple of vents then move the wing fences. Hopefully not too odious a task!

jkep1u.jpg

Hi,

52.9mm from wing root sounds extremely precise and very close to some calcs I recall doing on another sabre, but what I wanted to say is that the pencil mark you are showing looks pretty spot on to me!

Still struggling with some last minute challenges on my Avon Sabre at the moment, but plan to do more work soon on the Airfix offering.

Have you definitely decided to go for the RAF 4sqn aircraft?

Terry

• Like 1

Thanks Terry! 

Yes, I'm pretty certain it'll be the 4 sqn as I'll only need to change the kit serial from XB772 to XB770 for that, plus the aftermarket markings of course.

I used a small head screwdriver heated up to melt the side vents rather than trying to dig them out with a knife. I think once painted they should look ok(ish).

59v6mb.jpg 

• Like 3