23 minutes ago, Boman said:

I think it was down as long as the turret was "active", as it would have taken too long to raise and lower each time you turn the turret? 

you'd think so.... but apparently not, they move pretty fast. go to 0.52

and 2.15 here

Note in the first vid, that this is the position for getting out of the turret

Defiant_turret1.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Thanks.  So, wheels-down, only the front one should be extended.

From here: http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/aircraft/types/type-details/boulton-paul-defiant.htm

" To allow the turret a clear field of fire, two rather large radio masts were located on the underside of the fuselage. "

Chris

8 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Thanks.  So, wheels-down, only the front one should be extended.

From here: http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/aircraft/types/type-details/boulton-paul-defiant.htm

" To allow the turret a clear field of fire, two rather large radio masts were located on the underside of the fuselage. These masts retracted when the undercarriage was extended. "

Chris

9 hours ago, Boman said:

I think it was down as long as the turret was "active", as it would have taken too long to raise and lower each time you turn the turret? 

The fairing was operated by compressed air - when the turret was turned, a set of cams opened/closed valves raising or lowering it. The air gunner could also operate the fairing manually, via a lever in the turret. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really...I am trying to go slow, but it appears I am ready for some paint...:D

The stabilizers, rudder and wings all went on smoothly with no gaps worth filling.  I did fill the small gaps joining  the fuselage halves.

41403098071_e35bdee565_z_d.jpg

Thank you Eduard, for cutting a two hour job in half...

40507463045_f4568a61c5_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 3

19 hours ago, dogsbody said:

" To allow the turret a clear field of fire, two rather large radio masts were located on the underside of the fuselage. "

Chris

" To allow the turret a clear field of fire, two rather large radio masts were located on the underside of the fuselage. These masts retracted when the undercarriage was extended. "

Chris

To clarify; only the rear mast retracted, and it did not retract fully. At 1/72 there would be about 3-4mm showing. This is shown in the photo towards the bottom of the quoted link titled Boulton Paul Defiant F. Mk1 (photo 264 Sqn Association).

The rear mast is shown retracted more clearly here:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:15_Boulton_Defiant_Defiant_Mk.Is,_N1536_'PS-R'_(15650318708).jpg

Paul

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Boman said:

Thanks, this was new to me. 

Imagine sitting in the turret and having to bail out; first take on your parachute, then open doors, then release seatbelt and finally jump :party:

Interestingly the gunner had a specially designed all-in-one pack which contained a parachute, photo here:

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/great-britain/aircraft/fighter/boulton-paul-defiant-fighter.asp

The suit was also inflatable if the bale out was over water.

The gunner's exit routes were either through the turret doors or through an escape hatch in the fuselage floor. Both of these options were blocked if the turret guns were rearward facing. If the hydraulics were shot away then the gunner would have to manually turn the turret via rotating crank controls. The turret doors were the favoured route of escape. If the hatch was used it was preferable that the pilot extended the undercarriage so the rear radio mast was retracted and out of the way. All of this potentially whilst under enemy fire!

Sources: 

Boulton Paul Defiant by Mark Ansell, Mushroom Yellow Series

Boulton Paul Defiant by Alan W. Hall, Warpaint Series No. 42

Cheers, Paul

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Paul_B said:

To clarify; only the rear mast retracted, and it did not retract fully. At 1/72 there would be about 3-4mm showing. This is shown in the photo towards the bottom of the quoted link titled Boulton Paul Defiant F. Mk1 (photo 264 Sqn Association).

The rear mast is shown retracted more clearly here:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:15_Boulton_Defiant_Defiant_Mk.Is,_N1536_'PS-R'_(15650318708).jpg

Paul

That’s what I thought, but this was all I could find on the subject at the time. I was busy getting ready to drive south this morning and my ‘puter was acting up. That’s why the double answer in my post. When I get back home Saturday, I’ll dig through my refs, to see what’s there.

The GQ Parasuit aka Rhino suit had no Mae West fitted. It relied on pockets filled with Kapok for buoyancy, though it seems it really wasn't that good at staying afloat when immersed.

The Parasuit seems to drop from common usage towards the end of 1940, with the air gunners wearing aircrew harnesses and carrying a clip on parachute in the turret itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AndyL said:

The GQ Parasuit aka Rhino suit had no Mae West fitted. It relied on pockets filled with Kapok for buoyancy, though it seems it really wasn't that good at staying afloat when immersed.

The Parasuit seems to drop from common usage towards the end of 1940, with the air gunners wearing aircrew harnesses and carrying a clip on parachute in the turret itself.

Andy, thanks for that clarification. One of my references said inflatable, the other suggested it included a dinghy! - which feels like an editor's mistranslation :think:

No problem. I'm currently writing the history of the Defiant for Pen & Sword and have amassed quite a bit of material. There are apparently only ten Parasuits ( I know of six ) left worldwide as far as I know. One held by Hendon, one held by Irving Parachutes, at least two in private collections, and two held by the Kent Battle of Britain Museum, Hawkinge. 

I have several images of Defiants from 264 Squadron at readiness during the Battle of Britain and you can see the Parasuits draped over the tailplanes ready for their respective air gunners. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you Mark.  I think this is a fine kit.  In fact, I feel we have those fine Czech model companies to thank for the new moulds at Airfix (not literally).  Tight fitting, no flash, subtle bits like flattened tires where the aircraft sits, superb panel lines, excellent profile drawings and stencil/decal markings, great cockpit detail...really top notch all around.  Airfix is following the (excellent) market trend of offering precision moulded kits for adult modellers like ourselves.  This may seem like sacrilege to some, but all of these factors add up to one thing:  it is an easy kit to build and to add-on with aftermarket goodies if one wishes.  The only thing I am not keen on with the new Airfix dynasty are the decals.  Could they make them any thicker?  They remind me of the Blue Rider sheets.  I rate it 4 stars.  

Anyway...some paint.  Vallejo Air Sky Type S.  I have a feeling this could cause as much a ruckus as the PC-10 debate over on that other website...but I like it.  I managed to remember to paint the landing gear doors as well this time...:P  It goes on quite Duck Egg Green and then fades a bit as it dries.  Quite nice.  Having only been to England once, I am not familiar with the colour of the sky, but I imagine this would be disruptive when placed against it at 400kmh.

41427420592_ebf0e28665_z_d.jpg

39661758820_f8efff1d40_z_d.jpg

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 1

Topside...

I'll have to be cautious with removing the tape around the turret guns...

40583765485_b3a1d35057_z_d.jpg

The new Earth Brown seems a bit dark to me, but I am going to keep it.  According to the charts I have seen this is the Vallejo match for the Humbrol.

40583765535_941094e91e_z_d.jpg

I'll let this dry tonight and tomorrow apply the green.  I may try my hand at cutting some masks for the camo since this looked a little more ornate than some I have seen.

--John

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, dogsbody said:

That’s what I thought, but this was all I could find on the subject at the time. I was busy getting ready to drive south this morning and my ‘puter was acting up. That’s why the double answer in my post. When I get back home Saturday, I’ll dig through my refs, to see what’s there.

I'm back.

This is from Mushroom Models Magazine Special No.6117 The Boulton-Paul Defiant:

" Missing from the original prototype, the second airframe

had two radio aerial masts beneath the fuselage where

they avoided the turret field of fire. The aft mast partially

retracted when the undercarriage was extended to

avoid hitting the ground. "

From Warpaint No. 42 Boulton-Paul Defiant:

" Because of the gun turret the radio aerials had to be

fitted under the fuselage with the rearmost one

retractable during landing and on the ground. "

Chris

Camo done...I just need to do a few hairy brush touch-ups.  Note to future builders...paint the turret before you put it in its little socket.  It's easier to remove the mask!

41456837842_a94f42bb0e_z_d.jpg

I didn't use any masking for the camo.  I love how airbrushing retains the excellent panel lines.  That's very hard to do with a hairy brush...

41456837902_1bd1406868_z_d.jpg

Like a said...some touch-ups yet...That's alright!  Love those after-market gun barrels!

41456837942_1d9e38ae79_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 3