Air Respirator

Coutinho

Hi everyone, I just got myself a 3M half face 6000 series respirator for all the primer, paint and varnish spray can painting.

For all those here who do use a 3M respirator, I just wanted to make sure the following particulate filter and and organic vapor cartridge is suitable for spray can paints and varnishes.

I have the P95 particulate filter and 6001 organic vapor cartridge.

I don't really want to continue modelling until I have this sorted out. I did start by just making sure I had good ventilation, but the thought of those fumes still lingering and making me cough at times changed my mind.

Thanks for any help!

Would this help: https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/634858O/3m-reusable-half-face-6000-series-technical-data-sheet.pdf?

I'm not seeing the cartridges you mention but, generally speaking, you'll need an A2 particulate filter and a P2 vapour filter for airbrush painting, at a minimum. Something like the 6055 + 5925 combination.

I'm using this one since several years, changing it every 12-18 months: https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/company-uk/3m-products/~/3M-Maintenance-Free-Half-Mask-4000-Series/?N=5002385+3291100302&rt=rud It is the FFA2P3  variant.

I think, a good indication that you are using the right filters is that, after removing the mask you all of a sudden can smell the paint which you haven't with the mask on.

I hope this helps!

Cristian

• Like 1

I use a 3M 7500 mask and with that A1 filters, number 6051. I spray mainly smelly, organic, lacquer based paints and nothing penetrates those filters. I've just checked and these filters fit both the 6000 and 7000 series masks so they could be right for you. I use an extractor so I have hardly any dust or overspray in the room and hence don't think I need a particulate filter, but it might be a good idea if you spray without extraction.

Jeffrey