Voodoo - Ellington ANGB, October 1980 (Friends added 29/05/18)

I just couldn't stop myself so here is a small selection from a very early morning visit to the 11st FIS, Texas ANG at Ellington ANGB, near Houston, Texas. This was the first visit of our trip. What as start! :). At that time they were participating in the William Tell event at Tyndall AFB, Florida. 58-273 you can see below was heading to Florida to join the team there.

ELL2

ELL1

ELL3

ELL4

ELL5

ELL6

I hope you like them as much as I "doo" ;)!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

They do mate, for sure. No need for panel lining on an ADC or TAC air-to-air machine, although maybe a very light wash to pick out the lines. Keeping it subtle is the key. They were beauties, weren't they! I remember seeing the Doos in the circuit, a memory I hold dear. I visited Ellington in 1979 too with Geoff Rhodes (Mr Starfighter). 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

Sure can tell that those are old pictures.  Fatigues and bright stripes!  Never liked wearing the BDUs and the ones they have now are even worse.  Oh for a nice set of faded fatigues!

Later,

Dave

Hi Eric, 

Excellent. You will know, therefore, that the base had a variety of machines based there, many of which I have shots. I remember the Convair too, and a number of T-33s. Aside from that there was the US Army CH-47 unit,  and the NASA fleet. I'll post some of them soon too.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Just adding a couple images of one of the T-birds that were present that day......

ELL8

ELL11

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 6

On 4/6/2018 at 5:37 PM, RidgeRunner said:

They do mate, for sure. No need for panel lining on an ADC or TAC sit-to-air machine, although maybe a very light wash to pick out the lines. Keeping it subtle is the key. They were beauties, weren't they! I remember seeing the Doos in the circuit, a memory I hold dear. I visited Ellington in 1979 too with Geoff Rhodes (Mr Starfighter). 

Martin

Sadly, the 101s were before my time. I did see plenty of 106s and Phantoms growing up. I was really shocked by how shiny the Darts where, especially sitting by the new matt Falcons and Eagles when they came down for a show.

On 11 April 2018 at 7:45 PM, modelling minion said:

Excellent Voodoo's and one of the nicest T-33's I've ever seen.

Thanks for sharing and keep them coming.

Yes, Minion they were kept very well, weren't they. I remember others (NY ANG) being much the same. I guess the ADC grey was easy to clean as it was gloss rather than matt. I agree, she was a very attractive T-bird. I was there in 1979 at Ellington too. For colour did you see the dayglo CAF machine in my Doos and Darts .... post?   

On 12 April 2018 at 5:46 AM, Thud4444 said:

Sadly, the 101s were before my time. I did see plenty of 106s and Phantoms growing up. I was really shocked by how shiny the Darts where, especially sitting by the new matt Falcons and Eagles when they came down for a show.

Apart from that time (1979 and again in 1980 and 1981 ) I didn't see any others. The Voodoo has always been a favourite of mine, more so than the Dart. I suppose it is greedy but I would have loved to have seen more live Daggers! I was lucky enough to see one flying when I was a Davis Monthan in May 1979. I think it was on a test flight prior to despatch to the PQM-102 programme.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

For colour did you see the dayglo CAF machine in my Doos and Darts .... post?

I did indeed, and gave it a well deserved "like".

You were very lucky to see such classics in action on the other side of the pond, and please do keep them coming!

Craig.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Craig,

Sorry, I missed your post. Yes, it was fortunate for sure. Only a year or two later would have not been so fruitful as many of the Centuries would have gone. I do have orher stuff that is more modern as well other countries, such as The Netherlands, Libya, Italy and more. Maybe sometime I’ll venture down that road too ;)

Martin