Tamiya 1/35 Krupp Protze & Pak 37 w/Eduard etch

U6e6B1A.jpg?1

As I've slowed down a bit on my Panzer II due to the fiddly etch, I decided to start another project.

2VMjjA9.jpg

Couldn't resist putting together the basic chassis and gun. First order of business I think is the PAK, so I've been cleaning up the kit parts and adding the photo-etch parts.

dKsW95C.jpg

I'll be using this picture as a reference, as the Eduard instructions aren't clear where everything goes. (Though I hope mine won't look as ropey as this does in places)

9fnEpSf.jpg

Ob0K5t2.jpg

4BzMbXA.jpg

Luckily, there are loads of images of this gun online, so I have an idea of where things go.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

The good old "door knocker', as they called it........nice PE on that Sairou....:yes:

Thanks- that image I posted isn't mine, just to clarify! I'm using it as a reference. Here's mine so far-

Atv6PJT.jpg

XLq1aZv.jpg

MKit7eP.jpg

Going to be using the photo etched shield for this one, it's much less involved than the one on my RSO PAK. IbxM1QX.jpg

Here's the doorknocker with the shield tacked on- for some reason the wheels seem too big, but that's probably just me, or the fact the shield is not properly secured.

eOn2qAA.jpg

It's quite a long model, and will take up some shelf space. So far, it's been a fun build, and I am quite excited to replicate a vehicle used in the summer advance on Russia of 1941.

• Like 2

29yRwxc.jpg

Almost finished with the PAK- just need to add a few more parts to the gunshield, and do a general clean-up. 

ApYCrVe.jpg

XX72Don.jpg

Npr4oru.jpg

Some interesting reference pics.

• Like 2

I understand mate.....( still, some nice PE work....🤓)....overall , a nice little set. Can’t imagine what it was like in their “all conquering roll” into Russia to suddenly be shown you had a pop gun to work with😳 😬😁. I built the Krupp back in the late 70’s . Considering on getting it again, so will watch as you get this one done.

Simon

• Like 2

I built the truck with the simple wooden box frame on the back and seating benches some 40yrs ago..... gawd that's scary! (40yrs, not the truck)

It was a nice little kit, going together well, and with a few bits of nice stowage. Your truck is obviously different, and less ancient tooling. Looks nice. The gun looks good too and I'm sure it's going to look even better with that PE.

Great work, I look forward to seeing the paint go on.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Badder said:

I built the truck with the simple wooden box frame on the back and seating benches some 40yrs ago..... gawd that's scary! (40yrs, not the truck)

It was a nice little kit, going together well, and with a few bits of nice stowage. Your truck is obviously different, and less ancient tooling. Looks nice. The gun looks good too and I'm sure it's going to look even better with that PE.

Great work, I look forward to seeing the paint go on.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder. This kit has a few new sprues, such as the figures and the parts to convert it into a towing vehicle, but other than that it's vintage moulds. Definitely could feel that on the PAK, although the cleanup required wasn't too terrible.

• Like 1

2zbLzQp.jpg

rZymz6X.jpg

CMMjrJE.jpg

V4biHYF.jpg

Basically done with the gun now. Only issue I can see during final assembly is attaching the gun shield, as one of the fixing tabs has sheared off, meaning I'll have to insert it from the front. Now, I've moved onto the driver's position, detailing that.

• Like 1

78CkjgS.jpg

Leaving the clutch pedal off for now, as I plan to have the driver with his foot on it, as it seems to me that the vehicle is stopping or has stopped, whilst the officer looks ahead. Does anyone have an idea what the third lever to the far right is? From looking online, it seemed it could be a manual overdrive stick, but a friend suggested that it may be the gear shift for the back wheels. This is a 4WD, so that's probably the case, but I'd be interested if it was neither of these.

Fs4fYbE.jpg

Blurry photo of how the crew are set up. I am going to try and paint them all when it comes to it, but may crack out the airbrush for the uniforms, as doing proper shadows and highlights on each figure may get tedious.

• Like 1

Hi Sairou,

Nice progress. Looking good.

For figures, have a look at Tamiya's 8 tonne Semitrack, Sd.kfz.7 kit no.35148.

That has 8 passenger figures. You will have to check, but I suspect they may well match for uniforms.

And if they DO match, someone may have the odd figure to spare.

I have the kit myself, but it's residing in the stash for the distant future, and until then I'd rather not part with any figures, I'm afraid.

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi Sairou,

Nice progress. Looking good.

For figures, have a look at Tamiya's 8 tonne Semitrack, Sd.kfz.7 kit no.35148.

That has 8 passenger figures. You will have to check, but I suspect they may well match for uniforms.

And if they DO match, someone may have the odd figure to spare.

I have the kit myself, but it's residing in the stash for the distant future, and until then I'd rather not part with any figures, I'm afraid.

Rearguards

Badder

I'll check that out, thanks.

Zy1LMQp.jpg

5XNPG94.jpg

Slight dilemma. Here you can see the eduard lower gun shield pieces, and the Tamiya kit one. The instructions in the tamiya kit claim that this part was removed when the gun was towed, however, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Zdh5nKs.jpg

aBpNpcg.jpg

It is clear in these two photos, however it seems to only be the upper half of the piece. I'm working if it would be folded back, seeing as it is on hinges? Help would be appreciated. 

Studying the first picture more, this seems to be the case?

Image result for towed pak 36]

this also seems to show a fold... (Edit... I don't think it does, actually... think it's time for me to sign off for the night, I'm getting confused over simple things like this.)

Edited by Sairou
  • Haha 1

oBve2vn.jpg

7zm139q.jpg

Gun is basically finished in terms of building (Yes, one leg is upside down in these photos, I didn't notice until I uploaded them)

matFI7z.jpg

I have also been working on the vehicle etch, I have done the ammo box lashing, (fiddly, and it's not all exactly straight, I need to neaten it up) As well as the straps for those two wooden panel things that are in the centre. Need to find out what they are.

• Like 1

tStybkO.jpg

Found some spare soldiers from a Tamiya Opel Blitz kit which fit the bill for additional crew members. Only issue is that they're not wearing steel helmets, but I can convert them, or just have them wearing caps.

• Like 1

Discovered why Tamiya may not have given more figures- the seats are not wide enough to fit two figures. Looks like I'll have to find another arrangement.

SiV6MZ2.jpg

Q1Sw3oz.jpg

I replaced the kit barrel with an RB Models one, the surgery was a little difficult, and I still need to clean up a few things. I also had a few issues attaching the gun shield- frustrating stuff. I will probably put this project down for a while, apart from the figures, which I will be trying to paint with an airbrush (well, just the uniforms).

• Like 3

I know the feeling Sairou. I think it’s a good move at times. I’ve switched from my ‘34 back to another project. Still with all the issues, it’s still looking good. Does your camera allow you to get a little closer to get a better look.

Regards

Simon 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I know the feeling Sairou. I think it’s a good move at times. I’ve switched from my ‘34 back to another project. Still with all the issues, it’s still looking good. Does your camera allow you to get a little closer to get a better look.

Regards

Simon 

29gKVM2.jpg

This phone doesn't have a great camera, I think this is as close as I'll get.

Thkuqa4.jpg

To the naked eye, this piece looks a bit ropey in places. It'll need a bit of clean-up for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

3O1WgiA.jpg

Some more work on the figures. Not 100% on them, the skin tone is a little orange I think. I also need to work more on the uniforms.

• Like 1