Ammo mig drying times

PhantomBigStu

Just received  in my first ammo mig colours, says on the bottle it’s takes 24 hr to dry; I’m used to paint drying in minutes? Edit never mind, paint is so thin i can’t use it anyway so irrelevant how fast it dries please ignore 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Kev is right - it's not the sort of paint you should mask over 20 minutes later, but it can stand up to light handling after 10-20 minutes depending on temperature and humidity :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mike said:

Kev is right - it's not the sort of paint you should mask over 20 minutes later, but it can stand up to light handling after 10-20 minutes depending on temperature and humidity :)

Good to know, though having tested it out it’s way too thin to brush out of the bottle

19 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Good to know, though having tested it out it’s way too thin to brush out of the bottle

It says it's suitable for brushes or airbrush on the bottle, and I believe some of the brush-painters have been able to work with it, giving a couple of thin coats, rather than trying to cover in one go. :)

17 hours ago, Mike said:

It says it's suitable for brushes or airbrush on the bottle, and I believe some of the brush-painters have been able to work with it, giving a couple of thin coats, rather than trying to cover in one go. :)

Yes, someone else commented on another thread, to brush it on, let it try for a while and then brush it again properly, will try it, though have taken the easy route and ordered a couple of pots of the humbrol version of the colour to use......

I've got a lot of Ammo Mig it's good paint in my opinion, that said you have to use it in a specific way to get the best out of it.  When I first started using it I was getting very hit and miss results some I just couldn't airbrush without, dry tip, spidering, flooding, effects that looked like greasy surface or just plain crap finish.  If you trawl the online forums you will find a lot of people having the same issues, I got to a point back end of last year where I couldn't get certain colours or primers to work and stopped using it.  I went over to a mixture of Vallejo, AK, Tamiya and Mr Hobby on a few projects.  After a pause, watching countless videos and reading their latest book 'How To Paint With Acrylics' I gave them another go and bingo.  All their paint should be thinned to air brush and brush by as much as 90% depending on what you are doing and what colour is being used.  I tried various thinner, UMP, Mr Hobby, X20a, AK retarder, Flow improver, neat isoporpanol and Ammo, I found the best to be Ammo's owm thinner.   You can of course airbrush/brush without thinning but you'll find some colour won't work, others hit and miss, some will work, but you'll get consistent results and use less paint if you do.  It's also vital you apply in very thin layers and for some colours or application I mean dust coats, you just have to learn which ones. 

Since I've done all the above I've had excellent results, these are true acrylic unlike Tamiya/Mr Hobby Aqueous you can't apply/use Ammo like Tamiya/Mr Hobby.

• Like 3