Doos and Darts - William Tell 1980 (more added 10/4/18)

Hi again all!

I've been delving through the Kodachromes again and, as a break from Phantom base visits, I've scanned a few that I took at the 1980 William Tell event at Tyndall AFB.

My mate and I were fortunate to have been given ramp passes by Andy Marsh who at that time ran US tours and couldn't use them himself. It was the date of the air show that came at the end of the weapons meet. It was the end of our trip too, having spent nearly three weeks driving around Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida. It was a typical Florida day - very hot with lots of great cloud formations. I hope you like them. I'll get some more done when I can.... assuming you'd like me too? We spent the entire day wandering around the ramp, catching arrivals and getting close to these great machines. As always, no restrictions apart from the obvious about live taxiways etc. We were simply handed two passes and sent on our way to the ramp by the Public Affairs team.  

TYN9

TYN8

TYN1

TYN7

TYN6

TYN5

TYN4

TYN3

TYN2

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Thanks Keith. Looking back I was so fortunate to have had these few years and trips around the U.S. Bases when these aircraft were in their final years. You are right, in this context grey is great! ;)

Martin

• Like 1

Wow, Delta Darts, lovely. The one with the yellow tail is a cracker; they all are. I really must use up some of my old Microscale sheets, I'm sure I have decals for some of these.

Keep 'em coming, Martin.

I'm going to have to say that the old greys are better than the new greys! Some superb photos of some of my favourite aircraft.

I would also have to agree about the yellow tailed 900006, oh and not a panel line in sight - nice and clean! Inspiration to get cracking on my F-106 and some old Microscale decals!

Thankyou for sharing!

From another Martin!

I have more Darts, Smudge. I just need the time to scan them. I was fortunate to get to the New Jersey ANG in 1981 too. It was a late afternoon visit and our guide Randy took us out to the runway edge to watch the departures and returns. As I've already said, I was very lucky. I did have one unlucky moment, when a 87th FIS Dart arrived at Tyndall and taxied right past us but I could get my camera quick enough :(. Others at the event were 49th and 84th FIS machines, plus the ADWC.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Martin- you have made my day! Yowzah! That's what weenie cookers are supposed to look like! Loved the T-33's, too! Those ANG guys sure took lavish care of their aircraft, didn't they? Thank you soooo much for sharing these!

Mike

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

I'm going to have to say that the old greys are better than the new greys!

Absolutely. Those were the days, although aircraft in all services were even more colourful before this era. :)

Martin

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Loved the T-33's, too! Those ANG guys sure took lavish care of their aircraft, didn't they? Thank you soooo much for sharing these!

Mike

Hi  Mike! Thanks for that. There were many T-33s at Tyndall, including more ANG, some USAF divisional hacks, loads of ADWC machines and three Canadians. :). It was T-bird heaven. I will post more soon.

Martin

9 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

I'm going to have to say that the old greys are better than the new greys! Some superb photos of some of my favourite aircraft.

I would also have to agree about the yellow tailed 900006, oh and not a panel line in sight - nice and clean! Inspiration to get cracking on my F-106 and some old Microscale decals!

Thankyou for sharing!

From another Martin!

It does make a mockery of things when you hear people say grey jets are boring, nothing boring about any of these, all very colourful and interesting!

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Martin- you have made my day! Yowzah! That's what weenie cookers are supposed to look like! Loved the T-33's, too! Those ANG guys sure took lavish care of their aircraft, didn't they? Thank you soooo much for sharing these!

Mike

A classic example of why people need to look at a good numbers of pictures of their subjects in context, I would be very disappointed to see any of these AND ADC Gray jets with "realistic pre-shading".

Martin,

Thanks for sharing these great photos of these wonderful aircraft from an age when there were great variations in types.

5 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Just thought I'd add to the colour with one more (for now)....

Sweet!

14 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Mike

Weenie cookers!!! You made my day too, Mike!    :D 

Thank you, great pictures, Martin! I am in love and want to make a little model with one of them!

Cheers,

Thomas

On 7 April 2018 at 9:15 AM, Wez said:
On 7 April 2018 at 1:22 AM, 72modeler said:

A classic example of why people need to look at a good numbers of pictures of their subjects in context, I would be very disappointed to see any of these AND ADC Gray jets with "realistic pre-shading".

Definetly, Wez. I always research as much as I can the actual aircraft. On pre-shading it's not for me. Often it's un-realistic. Weathering of all types should be understated and appropriate. I'm no expert, though, and I get it wrong at times, sadly.

Martin

Wonderful aircraft, sadly I never got to see the '101 or '106 fly, must have been quite something

• 2 weeks later...