Compressor Leak

Dazzio

Afternoon All,

Strange one for you guys.  I have been using an AS-18 compressor, up until now it has worked flawlessly.  However the other day my girlfriend was using it for her cakes.  Despite me telling her not to, she had the compressor on the kitchen side.  So it was running and getting closer to the edge of the kitchen side until it fell off.  It hit the tiled floor while it had 20psi in the hose, scared the absolute hell out of me when it hit the floor!  So after the fun conversations after that I looked at the damage.  Apart from the hose and the regulator, everything looked okay.  The casing on the regulator had actually shattered.  So thinking it was worth a shot at £15 - I ordered a new regulator.  Regulator turned up and I managed to fit it.  Apart from not being able to get it to sit straight it all fitted really well.  So I turned it on to test it and it was leaking air from the 1/8" connector side.  It seems like it's on the nut/regulator side and not with the hose/nut end.  Was I meant to put a fluid or sealant on the nut before I fitted it to close the holes/gaps?  I am going to put some water over it to see if I can see the leak coming out to confirm it is that side.  Is there a correct way I should have installed this regulator?  It is useable, however it does leak out at rate so I may have to bite the bullet and get my girlfriend to buy me a new one >:) lol

Thank you all for your help.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

4 minutes ago, Dazzio said:

Was I meant to put a fluid or sealant on the nut before I fitted it to close the holes/gaps? 

Yes - BSP-P fittings will not seal on the thread alone & require either PTFE tape or liquid sealant.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the advice lads, the PTFE tape worked a treat.  I mentioned this to my Old Man yesterday and his words where "You should've used PTFE tape, didn't you know?!"... No Dad... I fix computers for a living not leaking pipes.

Anyhow, thank you once again lads :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz