Return of the King - Seaking HAS5 ZE419 of 820NAS, HMS Ark Royal 1988

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I can’t speak for the Revell kit (wrong scale for me), but the Hasegawa kit certainly has an accurate RN tail - though of course my Hasegawa’s are all RN (2 x HU5 & 1 x AEW2a), so maybe the Sikorski / Mitsubishi versions are different.  Check your sources... though the differences are fixable with a bit of modelling.

There are sometimes differences with the sponsons, too (again, depending of which Hasegawa version you have).  The FlightPath conversion kit solves that; it has 2 resin sponsons in it.  If you want to build an HAS 5 with the MAD sponson, you’ll have to look elsewhere.

Complicated, innit?

Revell released a SH-6H that is/was the 1/48 Hasegawa kit reboxed. Only a decal change.

ExWafu is correct, you'll have to shorten the stab to achieve a Westland Sea King and change the tail rotor for the Flightpath six bladed one IF you want a post early eighties machine. With regards to the sponsons, again Flightpath supply the correct shortened ones for the Westaland Sea Kings, however you can use one kit sponson for the mad bird stowage (without the sonarbouy dispenser) for a MK 5 RN pinger, using the Flightpath set for the port side sponson.

I liked reading your narrative on the rise and fall of the pinger, I totally agree and have said so on this forum before, Iraq and Afganistan took the Joint Military planners eyes of the ball. If they thought post Glasnost Russia would disband their military might, then they don't know their  Russian Military and political history. Russia is a proud nation that has stood the threat of war before, their people show a nationalism that is to be commended and the British could learn from, after all the Americans and Russians are proud of their flag, why are we less so? Mod's delete if this is to political.

The King is dead (nearly anyway), Long live the King.

• Like 9

I agree a 200%

When one have a look at the russian might today....

Can regret the "old time of cold war"

Now from a continental point of view, UK is still an unconsteted proud country

Try to find any feeling of a belgian nation :banghead:

Regional nationalism is still on the rise, but that's all !

Now I start to look for a 1/48 Sea King, a FAA one then ay be an USN one for the colourfull paint scheme !

Still I'm an addict !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back to the model...

Because I am working on some pretty tiny pieces at present, and because essentially I am doing the same thing four times, it might seem as though there isn't much progress; there is little point in showing you each carrier as it progresses.

However, one of them is now basically complete - this is where we're going with all this stuff;

27499677158_0a8d7eb46e_c.jpg

And (sorry about the lack of focus!), from beneath, showing the ridiculously small contact area...

27499676738_14e2298239_c.jpg

The dark shape on to top of the battery bay frame (look back a page or two if you don't know where that is!), is a resin connector, into which one of the red wires will eventually feed.

Pleasing.  But tiny.

More soon

Crisp

• Like 17

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I agree a 200%

When one have a look at the russian might today....

Can regret the "old time of cold war"

Now from a continental point of view, UK is still an unconsteted proud country

Try to find any feeling of a belgian nation :banghead:

Regional nationalism is still on the rise, but that's all !

Now I start to look for a 1/48 Sea King, a FAA one then ay be an USN one for the colourfull paint scheme !

Still I'm an addict !!

Sincerely.

CC

If you manage to get one and need some bits n bobs give me a shout. I still have the flight path mk5 resin radome and some photo etch. Happy for it to go to a good home. 👍

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MarkdipXV711 said:

If you manage to get one and need some bits n bobs give me a shout. I still have the flight path mk5 resin radome and some photo etch. Happy for it to go to a good home. 👍

...and I have the resin sponsons, also going spare.

What will replace the AEW Sea King when it's retired? 

Will/is the E-3 Sentry capable/numerous enough to protect the fleet from an air attack by Putin's boys or some other bad guys?

If not, what will operate from the new carrier(s) in this role? Or have our esteemed leaders decided we don't need to warn our boys and girls in dangerous waters and prefer to spend more national debt on benefit scroungers and bonuses for tax avoiding CEOs?

Edited by Lord Riot

52 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

If not, what will operate from the new carrier(s)

Merlin with sticky on bits !

http://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/crowsnest-the-strike-carriers-eye-in-the-sky/

55 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

the E-3 Sentry

I think only 6 of our 8 are in use and that info is probably out of date.(like the aircraft?)

This discusses a replacement

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/range-of-options-being-explored-to-replace-british-e-3-sentry-fleet/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Crowsnest Merlin for the Carriers, which I guess will be the fleet.

43 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

I think only 6 of our 8 are in use and that info is probably out of date.(like the aircraft?)

This discusses a replacement

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/range-of-options-being-explored-to-replace-british-e-3-sentry-fleet/

There were certainly 5 on the ground at Waddo on Monday and one which has obviously been taken out of service and robbed blind.  I would GUESS that another would

have been in some type of maintenance.

The Sentrys aren't so much out of date but need some investment to keep them up to date in line with the USAF and the Frenchies.....along with a large part of the Defence Inventory.

Almost there with these weapon carriers.  First, an exclusive preview of the first section of red [and white & yellow, but mostly red in this instance] wiring in position. This is a test fitting, but since it works so far there's no reason why I shouldn't leave it there if it remains attached; I won't be fitting most of the wiring until the carriers are on the side of the cab.  Note the fact that there is a second resin connector on top of the battery bay section (the PE bit sticking out on the left as we look).  This will have a second wire attached in due course.

41435695141_f0a19faf5c_c.jpg

41435694681_320dde4c23_c.jpg

Then a shot of the production line: at the bottom is the complete, painted one (i.e. the one above - starboard aft), then its port aft counterpart.  Then the two forward carriers.  They are all upside down.

The forward ones will always be a different shape (the brackets that affix them to the fuselage / boat hull are completely different), but at the moment they are still missing the flimsier PE parts at either end, so the difference is exaggerated.  You might just be able to see on the third one up that the forward carriers have connectors on the face of the carrier, so the wiring arrangement is also different.  It all adds to the variety and busy-ness of the final effect / the realism of the model.

41435694221_0494b399ea_c.jpg

Ahem.  You might not have followed much of that!  I know what I am trying to do, even if it's quite hard to describe.

Bloody small too!  Top marks to Gator's Grip acrylic glue - just the right combination of being sticky enough to hold the wires in position in the end, and being forgiving (and water soluble!) if / when you make a bodge of it...

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 11

28 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Bloody small too!

Exactly my thought! :frantic:  Gorgeous detailing, nonetheless :worthy:  :clap: 

I'm gonna have to try out that Gator Grip glue sooner or later ... :hmmm: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Good to know with the Gator grip having an "undo" button! Must remember that.

On 4/12/2018 at 10:40 PM, andyf117 said:

I understood they'd opted for MILK....

....budgetary reasons notwithstanding, the proposal is to go back to basics...

....Man In Lifted Kite.

To think of the billions the Americans wasted on "Stealth" technology, when here is the solution!:rofl:

4 hours ago, hairystick said:

Good to know with the Gator grip having an "undo" button! Must remember that.

Only while it’s still wet!  It’s really good stuff - I use it much more than CA tor PE / fine detailing nowadays (though sometimes I reinforce with thin CA later); it isn’t as strong, but it makes up for that by not having that brittle ability to fail when you so much as breathe on it!

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 8:17 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

The previously ultra secret CIATBB.

(Chap in a towed balloon basket)

Apologies for the off topic post.

Actually know as TARS (Tethered Aerostat Radar System)

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1