Another Tiny SEA KING in the Works --COMPLETE 9 April--

Working on thinning out my stash of Sweet 1/144 Sea Kings. Next up will be a Belgian Mk. 48, as depicted in the kit instructions:

39411671040_c6110060d4_o.jpg

39411670970_60f8793ab0_b.jpg

More recent online photos of the same aircraft, #RS01 (serial WA 831, now residing in retirement in the Royal Museum of Military History in Brussels), show that it later acquired the larger 'hat box' search radar dome; this is offered as an option in certain of the Sweet releases of the kit, and I had one left over in the spares box, so on it went. The kit also includes options for the six-blade tail rotor as used by most European Sea Kings, and the 'clean' sponsons (without the original sonobuoy pallet and MAD boom used by the early USN models).

The kit's pre-molded rescue hoist is a solid vinyl blob, so I cut it off to replace it with something a little more refined. All the 'greebles' which distinguish different models of Sea Kings - aerials and sensor fits, as well as details like pitots and mooring cables - will need to be added with bits of wire and styrene rod & strip.

Not completely finished, but here she is nearing the painting stage:

26349096037_19bb2ffa98_b.jpg

39411671150_1f31dce84d_b.jpg

39411670890_ebdb532833_b.jpg

More as things develop. Thanks for looking in.

Edited by thorfinn
update heading
  • Like 13

That looks impressive thorfinn, especially the addition of all that smaller detail at this scale.  I am a big fan of 1:144 scale aircraft and will be following along, with the hope of picking up some good tips.  Thanks for posting your build.

One point,  your banner heading gives the impression that these can be obtained in the high street store the Works (note capital W as in the brand name), and I was going to race off to get some!  :S

Mike

• Haha 1

Thanks, Terry & Mike!

32 minutes ago, bootneck said:

One point,  your banner heading gives the impression that these can be obtained in the high street store the Works (note capital W as in the brand name), and I was going to race off to get some!  :S

Mike

Ah, sorry for the confusion....

In my own locale on this side of the pond, 'The Works" is the name of a local drinking establishment...or a popular well-appointed pizza! It didn't occur that I'd be offering false hope to our model-building ilk....:rolleyes:

Cheers

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

This looks very promising! Will you be Crispinating it? :devil:

Martian

Simply drenching it in a nice brown sauce should suffice, I think....  :whistle:

Actually, I did that for my Exocet-carrying Qatari Commando a few years back. This one's just for quick fun.

Edited by thorfinn

Very nicely done Thorn!  I have quite a few of these Sea King kits myself (and Zero's) sitting in my man cave myself.  I will be keeping an eye on the progress of this one.

Looking forward to more! :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dazzio said:

Very nicely done Thorn!  I have quite a few of these Sea King kits myself (and Zero's) sitting in my man cave myself.  I will be keeping an eye on the progress of this one.

Looking forward to more! :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

3 minutes ago, moaning dolphin said:

Nice work! I love these mini Seakings, great little kits!

Bob

Thanks, guys. This is the last but one of my Sweet crop...but excitedly looking forward to the new AFV Club release in the same scale!

So-o-o-o-o many neat schemes to do (and so many Sweet decals left over!)

Regards

Here she is with the emergency-red accents on:

27455168358_f4cc887f86_b.jpg

And with 'gladrags' applied...and masking removed:

27455168278_201a713c19_b.jpg

Still have some bits and bobs to add to the body.

Main rotors needed scratch-building, since the kit's blades...which are a little dodgy to begin with...are the older-style metal blade design; RS01 had the newer-style, 'short-shouldered' composite design. A relatively easy lash-up from thin sheet stock:

26455768577_371e869295_b.jpg

And for comparison, next to one of the kit's 'segmented' blades. (Obviously I cut off the arms from the kit pieces, to use; not 100% accurate, but 'close enough.')

27455442868_1afce9d4dc_b.jpg

(The curve on the kit blade isn't an optical effect of the photo. They're all that way to some degree.0

Heading toward the finish-line. Next post should be the finished bird with all her pinfeathers on.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Impressive :thumbsup: ... Theres quite a bit of detail in that small package. 

Thanks, Dennis!

The nice molding of the kit, and the quality of the decals, are enough to inspire a bit of extra effort...even at the risk of crossed eyes :crosseyed: or near-blindness:coolio:, in this scale.  :winkgrin:

• Like 1