Early RAF Hercules colour question.

cardiff guy

Hi All

A question to the wise ?

Could anyone point me in the right direction, I am looking for a colour call for the lighter shade of beige on the early beige/brown Hercules.

I have Xtra colour RAF light stone and middle stone would either of these be right.

Thanks in advance Glenn.

Light Stone BS381C:361 is the correct colour.  As mentioned in Colin Ovens recent book Airlift Force: RAF Transport Command 1948-1967.   Which I would strongly recommend.

What the relationship is between any particular tin of paint and the colour may be another matter.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

Hi all.

I'm trying to build this bird, and I have got only old Airfix references about colors....

I usually Paint with acrilic Vallejo Air... Anybody knows about traslation Airfix color references to Vallejo Air?

I will need:

Dark earth M5

Light Stone M14 (maybe Andrea color 50, but not for airbrush....:-()

Interior color: ??? (instruction sheet says about silver G8, but all photos I have seen, interiors are a blue-green shadow)

Could you help me?

Thanks in advance

On 4/4/2018 at 11:52, Murdock said:

Hi all.

I'm trying to build this bird, and I have got only old Airfix references about colors....

I usually Paint with acrilic Vallejo Air... Anybody knows about traslation Airfix color references to Vallejo Air?

I will need:

Dark earth M5

Light Stone M14 (maybe Andrea color 50, but not for airbrush....:-()

Interior color: ??? (instruction sheet says about silver G8, but all photos I have seen, interiors are a blue-green shadow)

Could you help me?

Thanks in advance

I haven't used them but it looks like Dark Earth will probably be Vallejo Air 71.323 BS Dark Earth and UK Light Stone is 71.143.  

As to the interior, perhaps you should look at what I was told last year here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235018973-wheel-well-cockpit-etc-colours-for-c-130k-initial-service-scheme/&do=findComment&comment=2676119

David

Hi David

Thanks for your answer. It was very useful yo me, and your last year post has been very interesting too.

Best regards and I hope could to help someone in a future.... thanks a lot...

had a really good day at the Cosford show today.

Spoke to a nice Gent who had built a cracking little example of a 1/144 Beverly, he said he used xtra acrylic Gulf armour XA1813. as well as something i had not thought about but night Black underneath XA 1012. Looked good to me.

Thanks all.

I finally got round to painting my 144 Beverly recently & without checking used Middlestone - it looked dreadful! So finally checked & found it to be Light Stone, & I resprayed it using the Xtracolor paint you mentioned in your opening post - it looks good to me.

Keith

30 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I finally got round to painting my 144 Beverly recently & without checking used Middlestone - it looked dreadful! So finally checked & found it to be Light Stone, & I resprayed it using the Xtracolor paint you mentioned in your opening post - it looks good to me.

Keith

...let me know when it will appear at a club meeting and I might break my exile :P

mike (who's now expecting a response back saying "NEVER") :)

Interior colours are mainly matt sky ,back in the days of the brown scheme the undercarriage areas would have been painted aluminum.

Edited by fatalbert
  • Like 1