How to wreck almost £150 worth of rare plastic? 

Knock a full bottle of tamiya extra thin over your desk mat and ruin 4 intake trunks and various other bits of two finemolds tomcats that you’ve spent all week on assembling, filling, sanding and painting and masking the demarcation on the insides, that’s how. 

No pictures of this crime, not that I would want to show this incomprehensibly idiotic moment of absent mindedness because post image still has its knickers in a twist. 

I give up. 

Lost my ‘mojo’ with models lately, thought that these uber two kits would refresh it a bit.

However what with that about pics and now this gonna quit playing with plastic and the forum for a while.

Laters. 

• Sad 9

aww crap!!! Have done that very thing a couple of times myself, ruining canopies and other stuff, not a nice feeling at all.

Sometimes you do just need to walk away for a while, plus with a spill like that you must let it dry and don't attempt to rescue the bits, just place them on a sheet of glass if you can. Once the glue has completely dried and plastic harden you'll be able to work on smooth plastic and you'll be quite surprised how quickly you can recover. I really hope the canopies were safe.

I know you'll eventually return, you're a fine modeller who's work we all enjoy following, just pop in when you're ready mate.

• Like 1

What a bummer Tony. Can't really add anything to what Rich already said. But please don't give up, have a brake and things won't look as bad. I, and I am sure many others on Britmodeller enjoy your builds as they are always very informative and resulting in spectacular models.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

That's a gutter mate, but please don't give up, a small break maybe. I am a really poor modeller and I give up about once per week. I go through to the living room in a rage/huff...put on the TV and look down underneath to see the Tony Oliver MiG-15. I get the 15 out from the cabinet, hold it in my hand and I am back at the bench next day. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well decided to at least try and carry on with these...

Thanks to mike for sorting the photo problem, thats spurred me on. 

So I have raided another kit for its intakes and associated parts. They will be replaced with an order from hjl of issue 2. 

Some bits will need to be repaired as they came with issue 1 which isn’t available anywhere anymore. 

Here are the some of the intakes when they got extra thin all over them :( 

23_F971_D3-4560-41_AA-_B06_E-_A6530_CB27

Now in the bin. 

Anyways this kit is awesome. Most of the joins of the main structure fall along panel lines and the fit is brilliant. The only bits that need filler so far is the glove vanes when the upper and lower halves come together. 

I’ll try and get some proper updates done towards the end of the week. 

Here is a load of bits in primer, a couple of days before glue-gate

90_B69_EF2-_B24_E-43_D5-_BCB6-_C2_B6_FCB

• Like 6

On 24/04/2018 at 14:03, Basilisk said:

Good to see that you continue your build :thumbsup: I see that you use Stynylrez Primer. What is your opinion about the stuff? And have you used Mission Models primer? If so, how do the two compare?

Cheers, Peter

Hi mate I have pretty much only used stynylrez for the past couple of years which coincides with when I joined the forum and started posting my work online. I love the stuff. I do have some of the mission primer but not used it properly yet. 

Some more pre glue gate pics. 

Open spine of the undecided tps scheme maintenance bird. 

3_BDF7_C8_E-_CEC3-4_B59-_A112-90_CA5_E9_

White going on various interior bits. 

A97047_C6-37_FA-4_A76-84_CF-9_AC70_CB7_C

A nice view down an intake trunk.  The other pair have finished their role as masters and are now painted up too. I did the compressor face in a lighter shade of metal than the fan infront of it to help ‘lift it out’ visually and not get lost in the depths. 

D128_C80_C-_D02_F-4553-_AC5_C-_AC565485_

The various internal intake and exhaust bits. Ak extreme for the gull bird, alclad for the tps. Parts are covered off the various colours. 

DE508135-_BF22-4803-_BAF1-9_FBB30594_DB9

Alclad for tps:

Burnt iron AB rings

Stainless steel intake fans

Alu compressor faces

Magnesium exhaust faces

Ak xtreme for gull:

Exhaust metal for AB rings

Dark Alu for intake fans

Alu compressor faces

Burnt metal exhaust faces

As the gull tps is going to be depicted still running or recently switched off, I went for the brighter orangish burnt metal by AK for the still ‘hot’ exhaust face. As the tps bird is going to be opened up for maintenance I went for the alclad and their darker looking ‘magnesium’ shade for the cold exhaust faces. Hope that makes sense?

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 9

you had do some really lovely work there, those engine bit look great.

It's really hard to tell from the photo just how badly affected those intakes were, was binning the only option? No chance they could have been rescued.

21 hours ago, trickyrich said:

It's really hard to tell from the photo just how badly affected those intakes were, was binning the only option? No chance they could have been rescued.

Yes mate cause the glue tipped sort of into and around them. So all the paint in the forward half chewed up. And then the outsides crazed and went all soft. Plus I tried to pick them up in a panic and covered them in fingerprints. For a lesser kit perhaps they could have been sanded and an attempt at a rescribe. This kit is awesome though and deserves better so new ones it is (raided from other kits for now)

A couple of other bits got caught in the wave of glue and weren’t too bad, for example the lower half of the beaver tail. Another though is irreplaceable - the bottom part of the forward fuselage. Came with the now discontinued/sold out issue 1 of this kit. So that part had to be reworked. Fortunately most of the damage is covered by the front phoenix pallets 👍

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Tony, great work.

would that Styrnelyz primer brush paint well you think?

Not tried it mate, although the blurb from the ultimate site (rebagded snr) says it should. 

More pics of things:

Airbrake bays, black SNR primer, mr paint insignia red. Then dry brushed with mig ammo oil brusher gunmetal. Makes all the rivets pop out.  After a while some of it was manipulated with a damp turps brush to turn a few areas into a grime wash. Front edge of the lower half ended up being damaged in glue gate (since repaired)

700_AF251-1_DF0-4258-89_CD-9_E5_C094_F21

Intakes masked up and then painted. RIP. Since redone with new ones so didn’t photo that. 

E7_D7_E3_D6-7_B04-4_A41-9_B62-_C12195_AB

F347_DD97-16_A2-4434-_B1_DA-06_B4_ABE28_

D2_DD8_DD5-20_CC-4139-9_C07-3_DA886575_E

46_CF3_CE5-_CBD2-4587-_A8_B4-5_B3_E40853

And then lastly the pair of inner intake trunks that were mastered for any future builds. Will save alot of work on seam removal. 

BB653_E27-0556-4_B5_D-_AE39-379_BD3_E762

Thats all for now. 

• Like 7

Hi Tony,

It's great to see a resumption of work on these kits and such lovely work it is as well - the painted intake trunks look particularly nice. I had to fight back the tears at the picture of your now-departed intakes; the thought of all that effort to mask and paint the suckers caused me much blinking...

I'm curious to see how these turn out in your hands with the usual Tony embellishments, care and attention. Lovely bit of casting, by the way.

Andrew.

• Thanks 1

Right some proper progress from last week now we are past glue gate and the postimg scandal and I have redone 4 new intakes. 

So the intakes are painted and on for both kits so we can now start some major assembly! A few things to point out to possibly help others too. 

First a look down them.

Compressor face

44981_D0_F-661_F-42_D7-_A7_C0-_CF6_F0948

Ramp detail

D1_D0_B605-16_E5-4_C94-_A52_A-013_FDF8_F

Next an overview of them before they go onto the tps plane. Gull 160 is past this stage. Circled are the two areas repaired from glue gate, and then some lines showing what I was on about a few posts earlier, where the parts fit perfectly and split along natural panel lines around the rear nacelles/side panels.  

48_BE55_B3-548_D-4885-_AB3_E-390622_DDDC

When you click the intakes in place there are some gaps on the inside - 

50_C4274_A-0_E88-448_F-98_A0-9_F882918_D

So what I did was use some plastic card to push them out and away from the trunking, like this. 

2_FDA7_DA9-965_A-4702-_AB44-8575_B0_C6_E

And now fits like this - super! 

F4_EDB1_EF-_A59_F-41_DF-888_B-_F3_F2_FA8

Fit of the intakes around the front, normally a tricky area on tomcats - just about perfect! 

1420000_C-5_A63-48_C1-_A5_F6-_EE9377_BDC

Another cool thing is the forward lower fuselage is split along a panel line around the first sparrow bay, not through it. There was the tinest bit of flash that stopped a flush fit, but once trimmed away it was spot on. 

Join- 

12_BE87_D7-_BCA8-45_DA-_B5_B9-_B4_B5_E94

Flash area -

C5185_C2_B-4_B75-499_B-8_AC8-1145_EEF22_

Result :

926_D3_C4_F-_BF3_B-4816-8682-_D9349_F9_A

Both Cockpits and bays for the opened tps plane are being finished off now... next big update tomorrow I reckon. 

• Like 7

A few other tedious jobs. 

Some pin marks in the cockpit floor where their heels would be. 

Didnt bother filling the gull 160 reaper as this will have pilots fitted. Also intstalled the side panels in that one too. Reason being that the pilots will cover alot of it so doesn’t need to be painted that well (hopefully). I left the panels off for the opened up & empty tps plane to make the detail painting of the panels easier. 

422222_CD-338_F-42_E3-981_D-_CE7_EEE7386

2_DAE822_D-4_BED-4052-9_C19-_CDB246947_B

Something I did as well was open up the main naca vent on the open panel for the tps plane by scoring from both sides with a scalpel. Some pin marks on the inside need filling too. 

5_B1_CE726-7572-4782-_B080-_BB17574_F1_A

DEDD80_F7-_F802-4744-929_B-287103886716.

Whilst on the topic of pin marks: 

two planes gear doors worth :( 

65684_A67-414_C-4_D5_D-8141-_BAFD5_E17_D

One other detail I have tried to add. Something didn’t look right on the ‘open’ completed builds in the model graphix magazines. So out with a pin and references. 

Also instead of white they appear to be either bare metal or covered in a grease stained cork/rubber gasket to insulate/absorb vibration perhaps? My reasoning for this is due to the appearance of a ‘chip’ at the edge of this gasket shown circled in the bottom pic. Anyone know for sure? The Either way will paint them a dark metallic brown and try pick out the added pop rivets with some silver... 

EA1453_E1-88_C0-4964-_B12_D-81_B699_BD19

221926_FD-7_DAA-4_C3_F-_A31_E-_D45_F1_A0

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 2

awesome super detailing!!! That material is a sort of silicon/rubber type material that acts as a sealer, it's weird stuff but quite tuff. It's never painted else it gets hard and looses it's sealing properties. Yeah it does get knocked off in places as well, it's either pre-cutout for the riveted nut retainers or its sometimes done later. If it's the stuff I'm thinking of it'll be almost a Khaki Green in colour and not metallic in nature.

I am so glad (and I reckon there are quite a few others as well) you can back too these builds, it's so good to watch you work.

Arrr plastic card to the rescue again, we'd be lost without the stuff!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Yeah it does get knocked off in places as well, it's either pre-cutout for the riveted nut retainers or its sometimes done later. If it's the stuff I'm thinking of it'll be almost a Khaki Green in colour and not metallic in nature.

Thanks for the tip, and the props overall :) 

Here are some pics of the completed bays. Sprayed white over black first, then all brush painted with various mission acrylics, including their metals. I have noticed that some of the interiors of the bays are green and not white as finemolds say. Hard to tell from the pics in the daco book if they are green, or just a really dirty white in shadow. I did however try and match the bits and pieces to the photos. Most equipment boxes are shades of black and oxygen stuff in green. Painted a few ‘labels’ here and there too. The ammo drum has a few different shades of metal on it which haven’t really come out in the photos. A cool touch is the yellow safety(?) clip that attaches the ammo belt to the gun. 

Anyways about the question at hand - I did these gaskets first last night in gunmetal, decided it was too shiny. Since redone in a mixed dark metallic brown.

However after your recommendation I can now ‘see’ the greenish tinge to it so may scrape it off and start again... :D 

1st run with gunmetal gaskets. No wash done yet. Note all ‘white’ cables are actually a light neutral tan colour. Same on the spine. 

C3_EC334_F-_E592-40_D1-811_A-_DF94641_B0

Gun had some dark grey and silver bits detailed. Was dipped in aquagloss after a drybrush to give a sheen as most pics show the gun in shiny black paint. 

734_B8_EE8-2_F37-41_A5-8_EC1-31350_A4_D7

Second round metallic brown gaskets. And an enamel wash in the crannies. 

65739941-9_A6_B-4_AC8-_B016-9_E5_B516570

Spine bits. Detailed with several mixed shades of green to add some interest... grey pipes too and gunmetal linkage joints also. 

0_DC2_D749-53_D3-4331-_B7_A6-4_BFB7043_B

Some black painted plastic card added to avoid a see through effect. 

CC4_CAA16-397_B-4_A9_D-8_BF7-77328285_D3

Left of the yellow dash you can see the black plastic card. Right of it is the green painted insert. 

236_FE3_D7-8_F11-46_E6-9_F0_F-9_C6_D225_

Also did the IP coamings earlier in the week. A pair in a greenish tinge and one in a purplish brown as seen sometimes. Before painting they had some texture added with glue as they were completely smooth. 

51_F66_A82-2_A50-456_B-90_F6-_F057_D50_A

47862_E48-0_EB2-4617-8292-_C27_B22524153

6847_ED89-1_A0_B-4_A42-_A7_B5-44441_EB79

Thanks for looking! 

• Like 5

On 03/05/2018 at 12:31, trickyrich said:

Perfect!  :thumbsup:

On 03/05/2018 at 13:33, MarkSH said:

Some very neat and clever scratch building and correction work, really nice job. :like:

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

Great progress, Tony - love your attention to detail and the embellishments (either painting or additions) that lift the build even more.

Andrew.

Cheers Lads!