I built a Mister Craft Hawker Hunter so that you don't have to

What a shocker of a kit!

Poor fit, exploding decals, comedy cockpit, scratched canopy, "melty" plastic, blocked intakes and a potato for a tail pipe. The instructions were good, but they were for a different kit!

Anyway. I had fun with the painting and honed my filling skills.

£5.95 / 3 days wasted. Avoid.

P4030513.jpg

P4030514.jpg

P4030519.jpg

P4030516.jpg

P4030515.jpg

P4030520.jpg

And for the purposes of future Google searches...

MisterCraft Hawker Hunter Review - Rubbish 

Fuselage roundels, "ejection" decals under the canopy and on the pylons, and the outer stores were from my "odds n ends" box and didn't come with the kit.

Edited by Harry_the_Spider
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Is this the old Frog kit from the 50s?

No, that was an F. Mk. 1 and it was reasonably accurate in outline for that mark, lacking cockpit, undercarriage wells, twing leading edge dog tooth, brake ‘chute housing and Sabrinas but having the small-bore tailpipe.  It isn’t a re-pop of FROG’s later FGA. 9 either which, although less accurate than its forebear was still more Hunter-shaped than Mister Kit’s version.

Thank you Harry for taking one for the team with this one.

You did a good job on this kit.

I am 100% sure that it must be a re-pop, this company does not have own moulds at all I think.

In box and from distance it does not look that bad ;)

Podobny obraz

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania mistercraft hunter

The panel lines are engraved (!) so it looks like relatively new mould. Accordingly to info in Scalemaates 1/72 this is a 1972 Frog mould

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/204140-mistercraft-d-201-hawker-hunter-f-mk-6

I never had the '72 Frog Hunter - can anybody compare?

Cheers

J-W

Scalemates is wrong apparently.

The canopy annoyed me the most as I had forgotten how scuffed up it was whilst it was under the masking. Just when I was happy with the paint I peeled back the tape to reveal something with the opacity of a toe nail clipping.

• Haha 3

There was a company in Eastern Europe, some years back, who would take an established kit and produced modified toolings based on it.  Sometimes simply re-organised on a different runner layout but with the same parts.  I suspect this is another one of their products, but based on the Frog Mk.58 (ie the Swiss option in the kit, in my list the RAF option was an F Mk.6 rather than an FGA Mk.9 - but the attempt at a brake chute housing suggests otherwise.)

PS  The company might have been Inmodel but I can't guarantee that.  I thought that I had one of those 109s and passed it on rapidly, but I can't find it in my lists.  Either I just saw someone else's or there's a gap in my lists (shock horror gasp!)

Edited by Graham Boak

Yes, the MisterKit boxing is a re-pop of the ZTS Plastyk Hunter F6a.

Yours has not come out too bad though, looks good!

Relax though guys, Revell are re-issuing their lovely 72 scale FGA9 this year!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

£5.95 / 3 days wasted.

You got three days entertainment for slightly less than  the princely sum of a poorly octopus?

You won't get the same ride at Alton Towers for that money.

:goodjob::thumbsup::speak_cool:Despite it all you've made a job of that,spot on old fruit.

• Like 1

I've already had one ticking off from the Moderators!

However....

www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234985618-172-gloster-javelin-fga89-mister-craft/

12 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Saw a Cyber Hobby Meteor in the L.M.S. for a tenner that I liked the look of.

Will that be rubbish also?

If its the F3  its s nice kit. Built it a few months ago. Grap it for that price.

The decals are worth a fiver if you desperately want them. They are a bit fragile, but some went on ok. 

Bizarrely the yellow ones seemed weaker than the others. Don't know if this is due to the pigment or the size. Roundels and numbers were ok, but you have to be quick with them as they react with water much like The Wicked Witch of The West.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

There was a company in Eastern Europe, some years back, who would take an established kit and produced modified toolings based on it.  Sometimes simply re-organised on a different runner layout but with the same parts.  I suspect this is another one of their products, but based on the Frog Mk.58 (ie the Swiss option in the kit, in my list the RAF option was an F Mk.6 rather than an FGA Mk.9 - but the attempt at a brake chute housing suggests otherwise.)

PS  The company might have been Inmodel but I can't guarantee that.  I thought that I had one of those 109s and passed it on rapidly, but I can't find it in my lists.  Either I just saw someone else's or there's a gap in my lists (shock horror gasp!)

This is case of Aichi Val which is re-organized the Fujimi kit of early version. However here I see really big differences - look at the depth of wheel bays, the fin, the crossing of fin and tailplane,the presence or not air to air rockets (Sidewinders) and first of all bottom parts of wings which are completly differntly organized. Does it menas that ZTS made own Hunter, not a re-pop? I am surprised. 

Is it Intech?- the company name you do not remeber. But Intech did not produced Hunter as far as I remember

(maybe wrong ;) )

Regards

J-W