Takom King Tiger Initial Production

Here is Takoms new King Tiger kit 2096, the initial production, prototypes maybe.

Interesting kit with the old style tracks which are indy link working tracks and no jig so harder to assemble.  The Porsche turret, original straight fenders and several options for the exhaust.

The prototypes and training units didn't have zimmerit and I'm waffling on whether to try it again or not. The turret with that curved side for the cupola would be a little tricky

and the gun mantlet wouldn't be easy either so it may not get the coating.

Made a bit of a start and some of the parts are from Takoms 2045 kit of the KT with the interior and the upper and lower hull don't fit

very well at the rear. The upper hull is a new piece and it's warped while the lower is from the older kit and the two will need some persuasion

and clamping to fit properly.  Sort of strange representation of the cooling fan mounts but once the grilles and screens are in place it

won't be seen anyway. Otherwise it looks pretty good and should be an easy build.

5LTiVFK.jpgQKu2gSu.jpg35GyIda.jpgCS97cnJ.jpgESf5JOj.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Chris

Probably the standard dark yellow with a little brown in places.  It won't be too dirty.  Still thinking

about the zimmerit and making it a later unit but before the Henschel turret took over.

Take care,

Lloyd

Sounds like a good idea as it wouldn't need the track guards or tools/cables mounted. Also it would be in plain

dunkelgelb rather than the 3 color camo that was added to the Bovington V2. Or any markings so no decals.

Might just end up as that unit, simple is good.  Takom gives you two main gun barrels but don't say which goes with

which of the 4 choices they have for building the model. Luckily I picked the barrel that looks like the spare that was

mounted to the Bovington unit as the gun was apparently missing. Sure has a large muzzle brake though.

Thanks for the idea Bozo

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Two tracks installed and that's about it for now.  The tracks are only 135 pieces per side which is nothing compared to

Rye Fields Abrams which is something like 480 pieces per side. Takom doesn't give you a jig which makes assembly a bit

tough but they are mostly workable.  Except where I got some glue in the wrong spots of course.  They have a realistic sag

and look pretty good. 

Mj3Mr75.jpgPBI2klX.jpgdG7vv8U.jpgOoTe7JE.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Sounds like a good idea as it wouldn't need the track guards or tools/cables mounted. Also it would be in plain

dunkelgelb rather than the 3 color camo that was added to the Bovington V2. Or any markings so no decals.

Might just end up as that unit, simple is good.  Takom gives you two main gun barrels but don't say which goes with

which of the 4 choices they have for building the model. Luckily I picked the barrel that looks like the spare that was

mounted to the Bovington unit as the gun was apparently missing. Sure has a large muzzle brake though.

Thanks for the idea Bozo

Take care,

Lloyd

I'm building the Takom 2047 atm.....have seen soo much reference material, I can ID parts from memory......

btw, the barrel should be the single part one if built as a protoptype, so you did well....

Good start Lloyd, I was standing by all those big German tanks at Bovington at Christmas wish I had taken alot of pictures.

Regards

Richard

Thanks Richard

I'll never make it to Bovington but I was at the Imperial War Museum in Ottawa last summer and they have a Panther and a lot of other WWII German AFVs. They

also have a Sherman cut up as a display model and that's interesting, must have been quite the job slicing it open.  One of my favorites was the Centurion and they

had a Chieftain which I really liked too.  Very worthwhile visit and I wish I could have spent the entire day and snuck in a camera.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Here it is this morning. Not exactly like the Bovington V2 prototype on display as I like the look of the flat front fenders and the track guards.

I did fill all of the holes for mounting the tools and cables as they won't be added. Otherwise it's almost ready for the paint booth.

GvSXhrt.jpgeFJ8UWv.jpgox1vVbC.jpg5w1jbes.jpgcI0LbO9.jpgEVzFXkJ.jpgr4UNKJ1.jpg

• Like 3

Here it is in a basic yellow over NATO Black primer.  It needs some washes to bring out some detail.  I decided it looked better with the tow cables

on the sides as it was pretty bare.  No pioneer tools or jack though.

bx7774L.jpg

TsErUtE.jpg2ZshoMh.jpgRZsN6xn.jpgbkQsBNd.jpgy6i98II.jpg

• Like 3

Hi LLoyd,

Smart work on the Beast. Those tracks do look really good. I have the Tamiya kit, with rubber tracks. I fully expect to replace them with workable ones, removing the side skirts to show them off in all their glory.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

Thanks Mick

The prototypes were pretty plain and I tried to capture that without making it too filthy and beat up. I probably should have left

the side skirts off on one side to show off those excellent tracks but too late now.

Take care,

Lloyd