Fw190 A-5, 10/ NJG 3

I started this around a year ago but for some reason just lost interest in it.

So i'm hoping posting it on here will gee me up and get it finished. 

I've not got any in progress pics of the build but didn't encounter any problems with it, just plenty of dry fitting and taking your time is the trick with these kits. 

This is where i'd got to up till today.

Q

20180402_145428

20180402_145400

With careful work the wing root gun covers fit perfectly.

National markings are sprayed on using Top Notch masks, codes and unit badge are from Owl.

I wasn't veey happy with the fuselage mottling so tweaked it a bit amd applied the all important exhaust staining.

20180402_174212

20180402_174302

20180402_174023

Painted using Mr Paint. Weathered with oils.

I've got some Master gun barrels to use and also some Brassin wheels.

2018-04-02_06-28-44

I've also got to try and find a couple rather important parts, namely the prop and spinner!!!

Tim.

• Like 13

Mate, 

Good to see this back on deck. Looking very good at this point.

If you have need of said prop and spinner, let me know. I am sure I have a couple of spares somewhere here amongst these hallowed shelves!

Regards,

Cheers Kent,

I'll have a good look for them firsti'm sure they're not far away.

I may even get round to finishing my ZM Ta152H, I was looking at that yesterday as well.

• Haha 1

Yes sure. Alclad dark Aluminium followed by AK Worn effects, when that has dried off, and you should be looking for a semi gloss effect when it has, apply your top layer of paint, Tamiya, Gunze and Mr Paint all work well. Mist the paint on so that you don't activate the worn effects. Give the paint 5 or so minutes to dry and the moisten the surface with water. What happens is that the underlying worn effects disolve taking away the layer of paint. You need to keep the layer of paint nice and thin or you will get big chunks of paint lifting off.

I use a cut down paint brush, just gently scrub the painted surface with it. I use a pin for the little scratches.  I find it best also if you mist a coat of matt varnish over the Aluminium before the worn effects.

Best thing to do is have a play on a paint mule that way you'll get a feel how much worn effects to use. Personally I  don't think there is a better way to achieve effects like that. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made a little more progress over the weekend. 

Made up and painted the prop which my good mate H gave me whilst at Cosford last weekend. 

20180415_202526

Couldn't resist popping it on for a look see!

I've also fit the U/C legs.

20180415_202728

Also, the outer guns were removed on this aircraft and the apertures taped over, maybe? So I cut some squares of Bare Metal Foil and placed those over them to represent the tape.

20180415_202913

Then painted them, badly!

20180415_202842

On the home straight now with the build.

Tim.

• Like 7

Brilliant job on the painting! I have to admit that the Luftwaffe mottling scares the Bejeebers out of me. All my Luftwaffe models avoid this, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as it forces me to seek out some of the more unusual/uncommon paint schemes. Speaking of which, I need to get back to my Fw 190s (two Airfix, and one Hasegawa).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

On 15/04/2018 at 23:53, Sturmovik said:

I like your colour scheme, I had the idea of buying Owl Decal´s sheet with this aircraft to finish my own Fw 190A-5.

Thanks, I found their decals nice to use, they're nice and thin although I only used the unit codes and badge.

On 16/04/2018 at 02:17, Kahunaminor said:

Nicely done, wouldn’t have noticed the alleged bad paint if you hadn’t made mention of it. It is all tying in nicely mate.

Cheers Kent, the reason I said that was that I hadn't covered all the bare metal foil so it glinted it caught the light, all is fixed now. 

On 16/04/2018 at 08:10, mick said:

great work

Thanks Mick, glad you think so.

On 16/04/2018 at 17:39, Learstang said:

Brilliant job on the painting! I have to admit that the Luftwaffe mottling scares the Bejeebers out of me. All my Luftwaffe models avoid this, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as it forces me to seek out some of the more unusual/uncommon paint schemes. Speaking of which, I need to get back to my Fw 190s (two Airfix, and one Hasegawa).

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason, no need to be scared of mottling, just thin your paint right down together with low air pressure, get close in and build the mottles up slowly. I think the trick is, is to keep your airbrush moving all the time. If you don't like what you see just cover them up with the base coat and start again.

On 16/04/2018 at 19:00, Parabat said:

That's looking brilliant, superb detailing.

Cheers Ruari , great to see you back on here again.

Also thanks to all who've hit the like button.

Tim.

Tim.

• Like 2

On 16/04/2018 at 17:33, Howard Moon said:

That prop looks good :D

So what's wrong with the patches, they look fine to me.

I wonder where that come from H? Oh I remember some dodgy looking guy handed it over to me in a car park at Cosford! :P

Like I've mentioned to Kent, I made a bit of a amateur job at painting the patches as the bare metal foil was glinting in the light, not very convincing when you're trying to represent tape.

• Haha 1

A little bit more progress has been made since last weekend. 

I've fit the Brassin wheels, added the Master  pitot tube, and engine mounted MG tips, un masked the canopy and windscreen. 

20180422_203450

20180422_202917

20180422_203302

20180422_203101

Just got to add a few small details now and its done.

Tim.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kahunaminor said:

Top shelf matey,

Up to your usual high standard.

Regards,

Thanks Kent, I appreciate that.

52 minutes ago, Howard Moon said:

Looking really good, nice to see this one nearly finished. :yes:

Now theres a scarey thought, me actually finishing something.

• 3 weeks later...