1/48 Airfix P-51D as "Feeble Eagle"

After the 1/32 kitbashed Mosquito IV I wanted a sanity build. At the same time, and somewhat to the contrary, I was inspired by @Olivier de St Raph's amazing P-51D build that's been unfolding on this forum. I settled on something in between: I've been working on Airfix' 1/48 P-51D with an Eduard Brassin interior set.

TL49vQd.jpg

The main reason for choosing Feeble Eagle is simply because I like the color scheme. Compared to other P-51s the colors are fairly minimalist which brings out the aircraft's lines. And it features in one of my all time favorite photos of a P-51:

9wylq27.jpg

Olivier de St. Raph's build thread has been an incredible source of inspiration and reference. I don't have the ambition or the talent to make my P-51 as accurate as his Missouri Armada, but I'm having fun with the Eduard resin detail set.

MZRPmJt.jpg

Last week I finished a big project at work (a new degree programme we've been developing at our department has been accredited) and this weekend was Easter and this gave me plenty of time and opportunity to do some painting. Here's the pilot seat:

OavXtp0.jpg

Cockpit left side:

NLTmbph.jpg

Cockpit right side:

ntbhs1c.jpg

Thanks for looking!

- Elger

• Like 20

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments! The last two weeks I've been able to close the fuselage and finish assembly. This weekend I got a lot of painting done.

One of the things that was still left was the gun sight:

o9cAj2G.jpg

What I actually started the whole build with was the wheel wells. I added some additional wiring to the Airfix parts:

i3840EX.jpg

Assembled. I'm not a huge fan of the surface detail and besides, the wings of the Mustang were pretty smooth so I spent quite a lot of time filling and sanding the wings smooth. Lost the rear edges of the wing tips in the process, but replaced them by sculpting some Evergreen styrene into shape.

XrCagir.jpg

Primed black:

IiSXByy.jpg

Painted with various shades of AK Interactive:

7UTISJo.jpg

Vroooooom

a8TuXZx.jpg

Thanks for looking :) Comments and feedback is always appreciated.

- Elger

Edited by elger
forgot to mention something
  • Like 14

9 hours ago, Kahunaminor said:

Very, very nice! How do you like the AKI Extreme Metal? 

Regards,

Thanks! About the Xtreme Metal paints, I really like them. They look very convincing and are relatively durable. They withstand masking quite well but are prone to damage from scratching.

- Elger

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress. The build has slowed down a bit because against my policy I've started a new project (or properly re-started an old project). Anyway, I do intend to finish this though especially since it's actually beginning to look decent :)

JTseBP0.jpg

- Elger

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...