First WIP FineMolds 1/48 A5M4 Claude

Hello fellow britmodellers. Here is the first build I'd like to share pictures of. I don't intend to do a full WIP but only to show some pictures. It will take quite sometime between shots because my usual production time for a basic kit is of about 3 months.

This one began on 12 march. It's FineMolds 1/48 A5M4 Claude, an impressive little kit, well engineered and with very good fit.

I'm using Vallejo's metal colors for the first time and I'm very impressed. This one will be my first full NMF (if everything goes well - cross fingers here, please).

So for today, just the cockpit floor with some bits attached and the engine. Interior color is Tamiya XF 67 Nato green and Gunze H63 metallic blue-green. I tried a very light wash with Tamiya smoke to reduce the "shine" of the engine (engine airbrushed with Gunze aqueous steel and Vallejo Duraluminium and exhaust manifold). Some drybrushing done on the cockpit floor with Vallejo flat aluminium and a very light wash of darkened green on selected places.

Should the pictures not be visible, here is a link to the Google album https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMYLK2wAeOFtk6WMWMeQFNlCvO8QZbZtL7IU1QrCB3ZeFMMP3aFGUbnKkbRERSVkg?key=UEx6Zk5od3Yzd19MMFg1bmJxTEVMZ3FmbWJ6NGJ3

Thanks for watching.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Very little progress this week. The seat with its support is done. I added Eduard IJN superfabric seatbelts. The control panel is also finished, the decals settled very well into place with some soft setting solution.

Hope to be done with the pit next week-end.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

The cockpit is now done. Assembly of the airframe comes next. The machine guns appear too "steely", I think. A wash with Tamiya smoke should improve their looks.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/04/2018 at 19:37, PattheCat said:

The cockpit is now done. Assembly of the airframe comes next. The machine guns appear too "steely", I think. A wash with Tamiya smoke should improve their looks.

wePETZH9YoV2hkIZ-5n-GEPuCXZ3E33KLdHl3dMl

SnRCBxs4yUuFvD0in8RI7UvSWRqFa8yAR8-k0r55

DFQfTlwgswU678NEXhpIMa89FmqqvwTIdSNQPdl3

Hi Patthecat, if you are using google photos you need to click "Share" and then "Get Link" but you can't past this link directly into the forum, first you need to open the link in the browser, click the image to maximise it and then right-click the image and select "Copy Image Address". You can then paste this link in the forum. 

Nice start to your build by the way. 🙂

Thanks Pip. Hope the last three pictures are visible now.

Thanks for watching and comments.

PS Blunted my airbrush needle tip...grrr. So I'll post a picture of the primed airframe tomorrow but I don't know if  further painting will be doable

Edited by PattheCat

Now the pics are visible! Looks nice! :)

A splash of smoke will do the trick!

Håkan

Primed with Stynylrez flat black. Now let's hope it shall go as smoothly with the metallic finish (Vallejo metal color duraluminium).

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Airframe is now painted. Not completely happy with my work (I forgot some scratches and the coat is not perfectly even) but it certainly has nothing to do with the paint itself.

Vallejo metal color is awesome. Sprayed straight from the bottle, not running nor spidering, dries very fast and is tough as nail (absolutely no paint lifting/blemishing where I put masking tape). The finish is far better where I did some sanding after the primer was set. Next time I'll sand the primer overall, I'm quite sure that will ensure a smoother, polished finish.

The tail was painted with Tamiya X7. It seems to match the colour of the hinomarus quite well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Thanks a lot Hakan. Next weekend I'll put a coat of clear (Gunze aqueous gloss H30) before applying the decals. I hope there will be no bad "chemical" reaction between paint/varnish/decal softener.

Edited by PattheCat
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The decals are on. They worked very well except that I broke the fuselage band (that's one of MY usual faults).

Then I applied a sludge wash with burnt sienna to somewhat weather the plane (Winsor & Newton Galeria acrylic). Still pondering if I should finish it with a gloss or semi-gloss clear coat.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Nice that the decals went on well, without chemical reactions! Looks nice! :)

Håkan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice that the decals went on well, without chemical reactions! Looks nice! :)

Håkan

Thanks Hakan. What caused my "stress" beforehand was that, on the underside of a Hurricane finished with Tamiya Chrome silver, the decal setting product ate at the silver finish, leaving whitish spots around the decals. 

• 3 weeks later...