Lancia Stratos HF "Stradale"

Here's something I picked up at IPMS the other year for £5, marked as "started". It was a while into looking at what had been started before I noticed what the original builder had done - redone the front and rear grille. There were some other modifications to the bodywork too, like the door handles had been sanded into nothingness, as also the window rubbers - which made turning them black more of a challenge.

Interior and some of the chassis, I can't take credit for. That goes to the unknown builder that started this kit before it ended up in my hands by way of IPMS and Collectakit. Whoever it was, was very talented. The interior especially was very nicely done, I felt no need to break it down and strip it to start again.

haswgawa-lancia-stratos-stradale-001.jpg
haswgawa-lancia-stratos-stradale-002.jpg
haswgawa-lancia-stratos-stradale-003.jpg
haswgawa-lancia-stratos-stradale-004.jpg
haswgawa-lancia-stratos-stradale-005.jpg
haswgawa-lancia-stratos-stradale-006.jpg
haswgawa-lancia-stratos-stradale-007.jpg
haswgawa-lancia-stratos-stradale-008.jpg
haswgawa-lancia-stratos-stradale-009.jpg
haswgawa-lancia-stratos-stradale-0010.jp

• Like 11

Superb build, superb car. I saw a few of these in the day on various rally stages as a marshall. I built a full size Dutton Sierra kit car about 30 years ago. Hawk were just buying the title to another company that were going under that made a Stratos copy as I was keen to get one of those but there was four of us, so not enough space! It's still being produced today by Hawk as an 'HF'.

Edited by PatW

1 hour ago, galaxyg said:

How I wish there was a kit of the Hawk HF too.

As it's a 'replica' of the Stratos, what would be different? It looks the same to me in pics, & the company blurb says "These cars have had the highest acclamation from all sections of the motoring press for not only their quality and visual accuracy...", so couldn't you just use a Straos kit?

If I remember correctly the guy that Hawk bought the copy from used a Stratos to make the moulds. I do know that he was producing windscreens for real Stratos owners, as they were a perfect fit.

9 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

If I remember correctly the guy that Hawk bought the copy from used a Stratos to make the moulds. I do know that he was producing windscreens for real Stratos owners, as they were a perfect fit.

Their website also says - "In fact, all the body panels are so accurately made that they are regularly used as replacements for original cars." 

So you shouldn't be able to tell if you used a Stratos kit to build a Hawk! :)

The Stratos wasn't noted for being a particularly well put-together car - anyone claiming to make 'as good as the real thing' panels has a pretty wide remit!

Still one of the downright sexiest cars ever. It's in my pantheon of greatness, right up there with the '73 Porsche 911 Carrera RSR 2.8 (or even the 2.7 RS version).

Great looking little car. I've always wanted to work on one of these but never got the chance. Heck,  I've only seen one of two ever in the flesh at car shows.  I couldn't tell you if they where real  or not. 

I did get to work on an Appia once, let's just say the experience was...... frustrating. 

• 1 month later...