Spitfire Mk 22, 73 Sqn Malta in memory of my dad

Even more than usual with my builds, purists look away now!

For those of you still here, welcome to pure sentimentality. My dad (1926-2001) had been with 73 squadron in Malta and when the Matchbox kit came out he brought it but never got round to building it. Then somewhere along the line it got lost/ thrown out when he moved into warden-controlled housing. The Christmas before he died (2000), my wife and I made and painted the Airfix 1:48 version as a 73 sun plane, which he was thrilled about and could even remember working on the original plane. But it's very faded now, so this GB gives me the chance to pay my respects to my dad and build a replacement.

I know the Matchbox kit has lots of flaws but I've decided that my dad would've built it OOB, and so will I. And if the rumours about Revell are for the worse it might yet turn into a Revell tribute build as well.

And so to the kit etc.

DSC_0962_2.jpg 

Not the Matchbox boxing, but figured it won't matter once it's made up! now to the contents

DSC_0963_2.jpg 

I remember the long thin Matchbox packaging so was taken by surprise at how compact it all is in the Revell version. Alas, no three colour plastic. I was amused that Revell talk of this as a classic mould and admit that it's ex-Matchbox; seriously I think that's a very honest thing today, nowadays with Airfix I don't know if I'm paying for a repop or a smart new moulding.

DSC_0964_2.jpg 

First up will be the engine etc. I'll leave as much exposed as I can- what with dad having been an engineer it does seem most appropriate. Haven't decided if there's any place for the jolly good sport of a pilot that's provided but probably not as I get bored painting them!

Also, there'll be a friendly email to Revell as the decals have got some water-damage and I don't fancy lining a super thin black band.

I won't be starting promptly at 00:01, but hopefully before next weekend something will have happened.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

No photo's yet, but I've started on some sub assemblies; my first impression is that it all feels 'big' and 'clunky', I know some of this is because it is big when I normally work in smaller scales but it does have the feeling of being like a tonka toy for little hands to work with. Even allowing for the age of the kit, the detail is very crude to the point of sparse, and doesn't seem to have defined shapes, I know Spitfires are all about flowing curves but that's the problem it feels like an artist's interpretation of a Spitfire more than an accurate model. I know there's plenty who'll say that I was warned about this!

But, it is a clean moulding with very little flash (one piece so far) to clean up. So that's a big tick, especially as I fondle the plastic of my entry for the Classic Airfic GB and wonder where the parts start and the sprue ends.

Now, about my self-imposed OOB, just like dad; I've interpreted this to no a/c specific after-market but will allow myself to drill out the exhausts because they are just toy town for homage to a former mechanic to be permitted. And the no plane specific part lets this fellow on board..

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PJ321111

Which will mean that Pilot Officer Goodfellow will not be getting built!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've splashed some paint around...

20180503_205344.jpg 

But, the reviews are right! This isn't the most enjoyable kit out there. I can see that a lot of filler is going to be consumed by those joints, the instructions are vague, but then so is the fit in a lot of places. The plastic is decidedly odd - it is think but very pliant and I've inadvertently bent a piece in my hands!

Hope to press on seriously soon, but it's a mojo sapper.

Then there is the fact that I keep getting distracted by going back and dipping into Dad's set of Don Minterne's comprehensive 3 volume history of 73 squadron and all modelling stops for several pages!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Failed to get airborne!

With the clock ticking on, I'm admitting this will not achieve rotate...if you've ever read a bad review of this kit and wondered, I'm saying it was all true! Despite my best intentions its a mojo. killer and will probably be a regular on KUTA for the coming decade!!!