1/48 Special Hobby Blackburn Skua II

Please may I present to you my just completed 1/48 Special Hobby Blackburn Skua II.  I have finished my Skua as the aeroplane of the Royal Navy's first "Ace" of WWII Lt WP Lucy RN of 803 NAS.

Blackburn Skua II L2925/F of HMS Glorious flown by Lt Lucy was involved in operations off Norway during April and May 1940. 

Lt Lucy had been involved in the attacked that sunk the Konigsberg.  He went on to share in the destruction of 7 enemy aircraft,  1 probably destroyed, 3 shared damaged.  In L2925/F he shared in the destruction of 2 He.111s on 24.04.40 & 07.05.40 but was killed with his observed when the aeroplane exploded attacking a He.111 14.05.40.

The kit was constructed out of the box (boxing comes with some resin elements and some etch).

Paint is Xtracolour and Tamiya acrylic.

Markings were cobbled together using various sets but mainly Xtradecal standard sheets.

Anyway enough ramble, here is a couple of pictures..

27265879048_90cc6fbbd9_c.jpg

40427531294_ba23b5dcb3_c.jpg

40427534354_4822b6e96d_c.jpg

40427534654_08572e8b19_c.jpg

40427535284_39b6cae2e4_c.jpg

39330307080_fab4c9d6b2_c.jpg

39330306760_f7b35bdf41_c.jpg

Hope you like it.  By the looks of the pictures I need more matt varnish on those tyres...

Thanks for stopping by..

The Blackburn Skua was notable for a Royal Navy aircraft for the large number of ‘firsts’ she notched up in such a short career:

• First –monoplane in Royal Naval service;
  • First –all-metal aircraft in Royal Naval service;
  • First –British aircraft to shoot down a Confirmed German aircraft in the Second World War;
  • First –aircraft in the world to sink a major warship by dive-bombing;
  • First –British aircraft to have a bomb-ejector fork for bomb to clear propeller in dive;
  • First –British aircraft with sleeve-valve engine;
  • First –British aircraft to feature Koffman starter gun for engine;
  • First –British aircraft to mount four Browning guns clear of prop. No CC gear;
  • First –British aircraft to feature two-speed propeller (two pitch positions); First –and only aircraft to be fitted with anti-spin tail parachute;
  • First –British aircraft equipped with radio-homing beacon on new VHF;
  • First –British aircraft to have front gun reflector sight;
  • First –British aircraft fitted with oxygen bottles and supply lines."

Skua:-The Royal Navy's Dive-Bomber: The Royal Navy's Dive-Bomber" by Peter Smith

Edited by Grey Beema
My dodgy grammar
  • Like 35

Outstanding build and finish,the Skua is an aircraft you either love or hate,I love the ugly duckling! Great job all round on the weathering too.

• Like 2

Excellant Skua, looks great. Did one of these shortly after they came out for a museum display, first Special Hobby kit I'd made surprised how good it was. I found the  engine cowling/exhaust a bit of a fiddle but yours looks Excellant.:goodjob:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Great job, if you don't mind me asking what have you used to matt it down with, its worked very well

Glynn 

Hi Glynn,

Its actually MIG Satin acrylic varnish spayed on once the weathering is done.  I also have MIG Matt acrylic varnish but only use it rarely..I'll need to paint the tyres with it.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1