Carry on Bully +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

9 hours ago, nikkita katana said:

Errrm did City really mange to score an away goal?????

:D

My excuse is I was very traumatised at the time - but I've corrected it now ;)  I also spelt Mr Klopp's name wrong too :lol:

Well spotted though - glad your paying attention at the back :D

I was obviously paying more attention to here than the footy cos I'd completely forgotten about the game.

After seeing your post I was delighted but after checking bbc football pages I went a bit delirious!!!! :D

Anyway, carriers are coming along super. :)

• Thanks 1

After the trauma of the Liverpool v Man City match I had to have a lie down - a long lie down...

But I'm back in the saddle now so let's catch up with what little progress has been made...

The front cab area has 2 seat backs and on a couple of restored ones they are green or pale blue - but these are 'luxury carriers' - so I've gone for brown leather...

UTC107.jpg

Did I mention I got the tools painted too...

UTC108.jpg

...and the bren guns - one is a spare though...

UTC132.jpg

I also made a start on the extra stowage I found - I remember where they came from now too - Tamiya 1/48 - but hey a roll is a roll and they seem to look 'in scale'...

UTC131.jpg

and I got the first aid sacks 'stickered up' - I put the cross on the top as you wouldn't see it when it snuggles down in the back cab area...

UTC133.jpg

That was all last night - back shortly with today's progress and some interesting internet picture finds...

• Like 8

First thing this morning - and I mean first thing - the Sargent reminded me he was armless - 'harmless I said - but you've been threatening everyone with that 50cal you won' - 'no - armless - my flippin' arms are on the gun - but not on me'...

UTC145.jpg

...luckily I remembered to put a spot of masking tape on his shoulders before splashing the paint...

UTC146.jpg

But no sooner had I  got him properly armed - he was insisting that he needed to make sure he would fit in the carrier...

UTC147.jpg

...so a 'dry fit' was arranged...

UTC148.jpg

DAGGA - DAGGA - DAGGA - DAGGA!!!

UTC149.jpg

...so - when he had finally ran out of ammo I pulled him out to paint his shoulder blades - the guy is a nutter - or am I??? :mental:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

After some bacon butties - well I am on holiday this week - it was time for the last job before getting the varnish out.  Now you may remember me whinging about the headlight having no 'definite' fixing point.  Well the same is true for the spare road wheel that sits on the front.  Having considered the matter for some time I realised that the front is for a MKI or an MKII AND THE MKI has different lights and no spare wheel - so 'SORRY PSC' - I understand the reason now.

Anyway it was time to close my eyes and drop the wheels on with a tiny smidgen of glue and hope for the best...

UTC150.jpg

...phew made it :D

So it was time to get everything organised and ready for a gloss varnish session...

UTC151.jpg

I gave the airbrush a 'really good clean' first and I have to say it is the first time I have sprayed so many items without the need to stop part way through.  Humbrol acrylic gloss by the way - out of the bottle - my gloss of choice.

• Like 7

I got a bit side tracked with practice 2 for the Bahrain Grand Prix and then tea - so interesting internet search pictures eh...

Well it's nearly decal time for the main body - before I splash on some weathering - I made a mistake on the Loyd and weathered it before adding the decals.  If I look closely I can still see my mistake - but we all live and learn.

So I wanted some pictures of Universal Carriers of the 11th Armoured Division.  It proved trickier than I first thought though.  Lots of pictures of 'restored' carriers with the old black bull on - but very few of the real thing.  My good friend @badger always says - get the photo evidence - so I finally found these...

UTC160.jpg

UTC161.jpg

UTC162.jpg

One of the main reasons I wanted pictures was determine where to put any Alllied Stars on - but there weren't any - but wait - what's that...

UTC163.jpg

I am sure I can see at least 3 stars here - so with a bit of jiggery pokery...

UTC164.jpg

...front end / large middle / back end...

OOH - spoilt for choice now :doh:

• Like 2

Carriers from other divisions with more visible stars vary - usually in the middle or back end...

UTC140.jpg

UTC139.jpg

Any votes on which Regiment to represent on this occasion and where to place the stars would be most welcome.

• Like 3

Moving on from stars I turned my attention to bridging weights.  You may remember on my Cromwell build I had '27' decals from a PSC decal kit I bought - but none of the correct '28' were in the set and the Cromwells were Airfix 'starter kit' boxings - so came with a limited decal option and no bridging weight disc - which you do get in the full boxing edition.

So I consulted my PSC bridging disc decal set...

UTC134.jpg

...then I consulted the box art - which represents 8RB regiment - which I'm not doing - as I have a halftrack for them already...

UTC001.jpg

ARRGGGHHH!!!!!!

...damn you PSC - NO No5's.

So time to consult the web again...

UTC136.jpg

I  found lots of 5's and even quite a few 'blanks'...

UTC137.jpg

UTC138.jpg

I did find lots of models with 4 on - but that's because of the great GOD TAMIYA...

UTC135.jpg

...so that explains that - but can I find any 'real pictures' showing a 4 - no.  I REALLY want bridging discs on these BUT I need to see a 4 'in the flesh' - as I  don't have any 5's

• Like 3

The PSC box art has started another argument on the work bench.  I left it lying around and when I got back I had a 'formal petition' from the crew of the 3rd carrier.  Basically it states that carrier 1 has been 'up gunned' / carrier 2 has had a radio fitted  BUT all carrier 3 gets is few poxy jerry cans - they aren't happy...

They want this...

UTC165.jpg

...the wooden plank to hold extra storage - held in place by a couple of pegs.  I told them it was 'artistic license'  - but then they drew my attention to this...

UTC157.jpg

...and I actually found a few other examples - so I guess we will have to give it a go.

I started by looking for some rod that was thin enough to go through the holes - but I don't have anything that small - so a rummage round provided 2 pins...

UTC158.jpg

I'm hoping the thickness of some primer and a paint coat will yield the right thickness - as I would like to wedge this in without making it permanent - just to keep them quiet you understand.  Their little voices are most compelling :mental:

But in the interests of safety - we don't want any children or small animals getting injured after all - I have lopped the ends off the pins...

UTC159.jpg

...then stabbed myself whilst fishing the point out of pliers :doh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Looking seriously good now and have just spent 10mins catching up on your progress and chuckling at your posts :giggle:

Improvised stowage rack is a nifty idea -filing that away in my future builds memory bank.

As to choice of regiment - what arm of service markings do you have (and what regiment do they correspond to?).

You could always vary the position of the stars slightly between different vehicles.

Fairly sure theres a wasp flamethrower carrier in the background of your 4th KSLI photo that has the star to the rear.

I'll have a look tomorrow for bridging discs with a "5" for you.

The crewman for the 50cal seems to have worked a treat - nice touch.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, badger said:

Looking seriously good now and have just spent 10mins catching up on your progress and chuckling at your posts :giggle:

Improvised stowage rack is a nifty idea -filing that away in my future builds memory bank.

As to choice of regiment - what arm of service markings do you have (and what regiment do they correspond to?).

You could always vary the position of the stars slightly between different vehicles.

Fairly sure theres a wasp flamethrower carrier in the background of your 4th KSLI photo that has the star to the rear.

I'll have a look tomorrow for bridging discs with a "5" for you.

The crewman for the 50cal seems to have worked a treat - nice touch.

All the best

Ben

Hi Ben - Glad I'm keeping you amused - I know I am...

It was very exciting to spot the painted over stars - a pure fluke as I was resizing the pictures - what a stroke of luck eh.  Re arms of service marks - I am very fortunate to have every choice under the sun...

UTC166.jpg

UTC167.jpg

The candidates are / were...

54 - 8 RB - discarded as the M5 is 8RB

61 - 4 KSLI - discarded as the Loyd is 4KSLI

62 - 3 MONS - very likely

63 - 1 HEREFORDS - very likely

Glad you like the 50cal guy and the idea for the stowage rack - we will how that works out tomorrow - I'm not 100 percent convinced - but we'll give it a go.

If you find any spare 5's that would be amazing.

Cheers - Steve

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

UTC160.jpg

UTC161.jpg

One of the main reasons I wanted pictures was determine where to put any Alllied Stars on - but there weren't any - but wait - what's that...

UTC163.jpg

I am sure I can see at least 3 stars here - so with a bit of jiggery pokery...

UTC164.jpg

I vote 3rd Mons and i would think with this ⬆️ Evidence you could put the star anywhere you’d like. In fact you have 3 carriers and 3 star locations 🧐 Id consider doing a little “artistic license” with the stars. 

• Like 2

The central triangle in the 3rd photo looks more like a company marking than a white star.

Some units painted over the white stars, apart from the roof one as they made good aiming marks.

Also on Jerry cans, I think stowing them inside the vehicle would be unlikely as they would be a fire hazard.

Also have you seen my 3D printed Wasp conversion?

35279050443_2e9866bc50_z.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Niall said:

The central triangle in the 3rd photo looks more like a company marking than a white star.

Some units painted over the white stars, apart from the roof one as they made good aiming marks.

Also on Jerry cans, I think stowing them inside the vehicle would be unlikely as they would be a fire hazard.

Also have you seen my 3D printed Wasp conversion?

35279050443_2e9866bc50_z.jpg

Loving the Wasp conversion - until Badger mentioned it last night I hadn't heard of it - done some googling - a fearsome weapon. 

• Like 1

OK - The boys from carrier 3 have had the carpentry tools out this morning to work on this...

UTC169.jpg

UTC170.jpg

...there's sawdust all over the bench :doh:

• Like 5

Jerrycans - I do believe that the German pattern was copied, as the easiest way forward.  The outer handles can allegedly also be used for one hand carrying of two empties; side by side with the hand gripping both handles.

If no-one knows better, I think the "Thermos" gadget/doozer/wossname/thingy might be a variable air capacitor, used for tuning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Chillidragon said:

Jerrycans - I do believe that the German pattern was copied, as the easiest way forward.  The outer handles can allegedly also be used for one hand carrying of two empties; side by side with the hand gripping both handles.

If no-one knows better, I think the "Thermos" gadget/doozer/wossname/thingy might be a variable air capacitor, used for tuning.

Thanks Chilli - @Gorby did advise me earlier in the thread that it was a tuner - the trouble is it went out of my feeble memory and it does look a bit like a thermos - maybe the real thing doesn't - but mine does :doh:

I just hope I have the right crystal in the set (reference to - A Bridge Too Far - great movie)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Niall said:

I was thinking that too, suspect there may be a numeral inside it.....On that one the star looks to be to the right.

5 hours ago, Chillidragon said:

Allegedly there's a difference between Allied Jerry Cans and Jerry Jerry Cans.....Buggered if I can see it in 1/72 though!  ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Avereda said:

Cracking work in what’s been a tough old week

...tough indeed - I'm traumatised again and couldn't bring myself to do anything useful yesterday at all.

Have just had a dig through the decal box and found some "5" bridging weight discs.

They'll be in the post tomorrow.

Kind regards

Ben

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, badger said:

Have just had a dig through the decal box and found some "5" bridging weight discs.

They'll be in the post tomorrow.

Kind regards

Ben

Ben - you are a star - I had been contemplating trying to 'fudge something' with a circular mask / yellow paint / small 5's off a generic xtradecal sheet - but I'm sure I would have beggared it up.  I owe you A BIG FAVOUR :D

• Like 1