Carry on Bully +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

I have a 'spare' 50cal and gunner from my set of halftracks - as I intend to use one as an ambulance at some point...

UTC068.jpg

it helps that he is wearing a helmet - one less beret clad head to worry about.  A quick test fit - using a bit of blu-tak...

UTC069.jpg

UTC070.jpg

...he may be a little 'too tall' and his bum might need a bit of sanding - to ease him back a touch - but I'm liking the idea so far.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

More rummaging in my rapidly growing spares box yielded a set of jerry cans...

UTC056.jpg

...the problem is they are all stuck together and come all the way up to the central divide - so this guy is going to have to sit on the middle until they use up some fuel...

UTC057.jpg

Now my first thought was...  Can he sit there or will he burn his bum - again photo evidence proves it would be OK...

UTC058.jpg

I like the way his hand falls naturally on the bodywork...

UTC059.jpg

...but I am going to have to fill that hole in his back...

UTC060.jpg

The other problem were his feet were a bit big...

UTC061.jpg

...but a bit of sanding and I 'think' I've got away with it...

UTC062.jpg

He's also from the halftrack spares BTW and the other upside is - he is also wearing a helmet too - RESULT :D

• Like 5

If you got the impression that I'm stalling over this supposed radio set - then your right...

...I haven't got a clue how to make it look like a radio in such a small scale - but I am working on it and must be on plan D or E by now.  I think I may have to have a rummage through some aircraft kits - maybe bombers - to find something usable or a plastic block with some dial decals on - I don't know for sure.  I  did try a plastic block with a few shallow holes drilled in it - but it looked carp.  Any bright ideas would be appreciated. :pray: 

41 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Do you have a set of micro drill bits ? You could take a thin sheet if plastic drill the holes out. Then glue the sheet on the radio block. It looks semi passable. 

Thanks for the tip Dennis - that was plan A - but I couldn't get the holes neat enough - they just looked 'raggy' if you know what I mean.  I will try this again though in the morning - with a fresh pair of eyes so to speak.  Also I'm off into the loft in the morning to have a scout through some aircraft kits - to see if I can find any radios - as 9 times out of 10 on an aircraft - you install them - then you can't see them - madness :mental:

• Like 1

Wow - only just found this and already deep into page 2!!!

Looking like another thoroughly entertaining build.

Like the 50cal idea - adds a bit of interest and the varied stowage is nicely done.

I might have something you can use for a radio - will have a dig in my spares tomorrow for you.

All the best and looking forward to the next updates

Edited by badger
  • Thanks 1

Just now, badger said:

bbcWow - only just found this and already deep into page 2!!!

Looking like another thoroughly entertaining build.

Like the 50cal idea - adds a bit of interest and the varied stowage is nicely done.

I might have something you can use for a radio - will have a dig in my spares tomorrow for you.

All the best and looking forward to the next updates

OOH - that sounds promising.  I really do fancy varying these - a radio version / a 50cal version / and a 'standard' one - better than just 3 the same I think.

Good to have you on board Ben - I know I can always trust you to point me in the right direction - in a friendly kind of way.  Glad you like the 50cal idea - I just need to do some careful measuring so I don't cook it up.

• Thanks 1

Morning all - it was an early start today - up into the loft - to rummage through aircraft kits that might yield something that could pass for a radio.  I came close on a couple of occasions - but then I struck GOLD...

...or BRASS to be more accurate...

UTC071.jpg

I don't even know when or why I bought it - but it was lurking inside an Airfix 1/48 Spitfire.  There are lots of things that look like dials and knobs and I think by using 2 or 3 different ones I might get something better than I have managed so far.  At the end of the day the complete thing will only be around 4mm x 4mm x 8mm and it is beginning to hold me up - so I want to get something that 'suggests' a radio.  I know my limitations.

• Like 3

After several attempts yesterday and zero success I finally have a radio set of sorts...

This is the sort of thing I was trying to copy...

UTC046.jpg

...the 2 bottom boxes and the 'thermos' thingy.  I experimented with 2 boxes - but was too tricky - so I  cut one block and roughly scribed a dividing line.  I will fill this later with black wash - so it looks like 2 boxes.  Then it was on with some suitable looking panels...

UTC072.jpg

UTC073.jpg

Then it was time for the 'thermos'.  I found some 'star' shaped knobs amongst all the brass - but sods law says the only suitable round rod was actually a tube - the rest were too fat or too thin...

UTC074.jpg

The star thing didn't quite cover the hole - so it was out with a bit of filler...

UTC075.jpg

So after a fun half hour - I have the finished result...

UTC076.jpg

and in temporary position...

UTC077.jpg

...at 8mm and with a few slaps of paint I'm hoping it will do the job.

• Like 4

With the radio sorted we need an operator - or someone with headphones on at least - maybe listening to radio Luxembourg :mental:

So do you remember this chap...

UTC063.jpg

...that's right - in my Cromwell triple build I had 3 tank commanders - but only 2 open turrets.  So the guy on the right didn't make the cut.  However I did promise him I'd find him a job at some point.  The obvious problem is - he only has half a body... :doh:

Solution...

I've just chopped one of those lounging passengers in half to give him a pair of legs...

UTC064.jpg

UTC065.jpg

...he looks quite at home I think and his elbows leaning on the sides seems to work too - woohoo :yahoo:

• Like 4

I mentioned earlier in the thread about a 'dashboard' - but the driver is actually going to be looking at a slit in a metal plate - or peeping over if he is a little taller...

The 'dashboard' is actually on the right hand side...

UTC078.jpg

UTC079.jpg

UTC080.jpg

...on reflection it looks a little too complicated with that diagonal at this scale - I'll have a play - but probably give it a miss to be honest.

• Like 2

Radio looks really good and I particularly like the operator conversion - very effective.

Did have a look for a radio for you but couldn't find one (sure I have some somewhere!)

For the dashboard could you use some decals from an aircraft instrument panel?

I've done similar in the past on trucks and it can look quite effective.

Great progress so far!!

All the best

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, badger said:

Radio looks really good and I particularly like the operator conversion - very effective.

Did have a look for a radio for you but couldn't find one (sure I have some somewhere!)

For the dashboard could you use some decals from an aircraft instrument panel?

I've done similar in the past on trucks and it can look quite effective.

Great progress so far!!

All the best

Thanks mate and thanks for having a look for a wireless too - it's appreciated.  Re the dashboard - it's more the wedge angle that has me stumped - I was thinking of using some more of the etch panels - there are plenty of thin ones - but the best I can do is a 1.5mm square section - I may come back to it later today.  I'm just in the middle of playing with that 50cal again - it's 'do or die' time as I'm about to commit myself by sticking the pole to the front armour - no going back from there - it will either look great - or I might just be making 2 carriers instead of 3 :doh:

...back shortly :crosseyed:

• Like 1

Photos of British Carriers with 50cal are very rare, most are Canadian.

Those I've seen have it mounted on the AA mount(the rectangular "hatch" in the centre near the front) on the engine deck.

• Thanks 1

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 14:37, Niall said:

Photos of British Carriers with 50cal are very rare, most are Canadian.

Those I've seen have it mounted on the AA mount(the rectangular "hatch" in the centre near the front) on the engine deck.

...as I said - they won it in a poker game ;)

They said they are going for this look - I think they were copying some Canadians they saw on the beach in Normandy...

UTC067.jpg

...mounted just inside the hatch - I can't stop them - mind you Hitler couldn't either :lol:

• Like 3

OK - it's really to late to go back now...

UTC081.jpg

UTC082.jpg

The lads have had the welding gear out and fixed the mount in place - so I  thought I'd better give a test with an unmanned MG...

UTC083.jpg

UTC084.jpg

Looking on the bright side - if the standing figure doesn't fit properly at least I  have some more unmanned MG's I can use with a seated figure.

Wondering where this one came from???

...it came from my up-gunned halftrack...

UTC085.jpg 

I never glued it in place - so it can waggle up and down.  These guys got theirs in exchange for a case of Johnnie Walker - they're all beer drinkers ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

More progress...

I had been avoiding the light on the front...

UTC086.jpg

UTC087.jpg

The kit part is well made and sturdy - for a light - which I have a nasty habit of snapping off on most kits.  What has been delaying me is there is no actual 'definite' fixing point - so I've had to 'wing it'.  But before I  could there was the small matter of a nasty sink mark in the back of each one...

UTC088.jpg 

...not to mention the oil canister that sits somewhere beneath it.  So it was out with the mr surfacer...

UTC089.jpg

After this was dry and sanded I bit the bullet and glued on the front plate - along with the oil canister - in a 'best guess position...

UTC090.jpg

...then hold your breath and glue on the lights in a 'convincing' position...

UTC091.jpg

So with everything ready - it's primer time - which I will get done in a minute - just wanted to share this first.

• Like 5

...oh I almost forgot - I  got my 'tin boxes' built and stuck on the rear of the central divider...

UTC093.jpg

UTC094.jpg

they will look great and add a bit of interest when they're panted - honest...

• Like 1

...also...

...and it's too late now - as I'm definitely going with them...

...are these actually German, rather than Allied jerry cans???

UTC092.jpg

...I can't get a straight answer from the crew - they just keep shrugging and telling me that 'fuel is fuel'.  On a more serious note I  can't even find a definitive answer on google...

I did find out the reason for the 3 handles though...

Jerrycan_Einmann_Tragweise.JPG

Jerrycan_Zweimann_Tragweise.JPG

...single person and two person carrying - every day is school day...

• Like 3

Final update before bed :sleeping: the priming is done...

UTC095.jpg

...not a lot of progress maybe for 4 days work - but I'm having fun.  I have booked the rest of this week off work - so even more fun tomorrow - starting with the main SCC 15 bodywork and possibly the tracks.  I know already it is the troops and their uniforms that are going to slow me down - so maybe I  should  start with them instead - I'll decide in the morning.

See you tomorrow - hopefully - and thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Niall said:

The jerry can is the German design, but it was copied by the British and made in the UK.

Brilliant - Thanks a million Niall - I was concerned about the particular cross pattern on the side - you have put my mind at rest sir - Cheers :D

I seem to recall the 'oil can' on my Tamiya kit having a 'water' decal.

Good work on these, speedy little builds, but you've added plenty of extra detail.

• Thanks 1

Well I have been off work today and I'm off for the rest of the week too :yahoo:

It's the first holiday since Christmas and I'm ready for the break.  The missus is working - but after 33 years together we can manage a few hours apart without getting too worried.

When she got home tonight she came out with the immortal line - 'so what have you been up to today' - 'oh just messing about' came my predictable response.

So here are the results of my messing about...

After priming last night the first job was a good clean of the airbrush and load it with 71.260 for SCC15...

UTC096.jpg

...basically the bodies / mud guards / the dividing sections / the track wheels and the spar wheels.

Then it was time to give the troops a blast of their main uniform colour - 71.323...

UTC097.jpg

That was all pretty speedy - but after this everything needed brush painting - so things slowed down a lot.  That and I started watching Alex Guinness in 'The Malta Story' on Forces TV.  I can't say I've seen it before and if you haven't either it's quite good.

• Like 2