This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

pipthepilot

Eduard 1/48 Hawker Tempest Mk.V Early

Nice work going on here. I built this kit a few years back and also found the landing gear details to be less than stellar. I ended up up scratch building some parts and the adding PE details to make them look passable. Looking forward to more.

Andy

14 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Are the white metal ones the SAC set for the Trumpeter Sea Fury?  That may explain the shorter tops?

Yes, they are the SAC ones, they do look nice though. 

I have some Aeroclub ones,   V196.    Not compared them to the kit ones as yet

V196.jpg

I did see the Aeroclub ones but I don't think the detail is much better than the kit ones. I noticed that the kit ones, and the Aeroclub version, seem to have been modelled on legs that are not supporting any weight, if you compare the geometry of these to the reference photos you can see the angle of the upper and lower connecting pivots are the opposite way round. 

came out really well, lovely bit of work.

cheers

T

Thanks, Troy

6 hours ago, Crimea River said:

Nice work going on here. I built this kit a few years back and also found the landing gear details to be less than stellar. I ended up up scratch building some parts and the adding PE details to make them look passable. Looking forward to more.

Andy

Thanks, Andy. It's certainly a challenging kit but I am really enjoying it because it encourages you to build parts from scratch. Until this kit, all I had ever done was add the odd extra wire here. 

A positive attitude always helps! In hind sight, I wish that I had thinned the trailing edges of the various wing surfaces as suggested here. 

Really good job on the undercarriage, your quite right to be pleased. 

Pip and Troy, 

I think that this thread, thank you two, is the summa of solutions to all the problems of Eduard Tempest: length of fuse, wing thickness, undercarriage, wheel wells, rivets and so on.

I thougt to start to build my Eduard Tempest with rescribing all the panel lines: but do you think is it necessary? 

Or is it better to engrave the rivets only?

Really, from the HawkerTempest site pictures, it seems that rivets are more visible than panel lines: what do you think?

And Pip, your cockpit is really beautiful: did you use any drawing (like those of  A. Bentley) for designing it?

Thank you,

Stefano

20 hours ago, stefano59 said:

Pip and Troy, 

I think that this thread, thank you two, is the summa of solutions to all the problems of Eduard Tempest: length of fuse, wing thickness, undercarriage, wheel wells, rivets and so on.

I thougt to start to build my Eduard Tempest with rescribing all the panel lines: but do you think is it necessary? 

Or is it better to engrave the rivets only?

Really, from the HawkerTempest site pictures, it seems that rivets are more visible than panel lines: what do you think?

And Pip, your cockpit is really beautiful: did you use any drawing (like those of  A. Bentley) for designing it?

Thank you,

Stefano

Hello Stefano,

I don’t have the Bentley drawings, I have just used reference photos and measurements of the fuselage to get the cockpit to fit. As for the panel lines I have been using photos and the drawings on the Hawker tempest website, I haven‘t looked at the wings yet but so far the fuselage panel lines on the Eduard kit look correct, I just focused on the riveting and left the panel lines as they were. Only exception is on the tail fillet, the kit is missing lines along the bottom of the tail fillet.

http://www.hawkertempest.se/index.php/indetail/2014-05-19-06-01-35/richard-j-caruana

On 4/16/2018 at 21:54, stefano59 said:

Hi Pip,

Thank you for the link.

So do you think the panel lInes are sufficiently deep for washing?

Stefano 

Good question, some of them look suspect, especially some of the lines on the air intake chin. I have rescribed some but I haven't done all of them. I don't usually use undercoat but I had decided to use it on this build as I have had to do so much work to fill the gaps when joining the fuselage halves, once I see it with that first layer of paint, hopefully, then I can see which line still need more work. 

Philip

Hi Philip,

Thank You for your answer. 

Another question: I also ordered the SAC Sea Fury undercarriage legs, because the kit ones and the Sac Tempest legs are too simple. But also the Sea Fury legs are in extended not weighted position: if you see the two hinges in the blue circles in your picture

2018-04-18_11-34-48

they are contrary to the position they have in the real plane picture 

2018-04-18_11-45-58

Any idea on how can we modifie them?

Stefano