Eduard 1/48 Hawker Tempest Mk.V Early

Nice work going on here. I built this kit a few years back and also found the landing gear details to be less than stellar. I ended up up scratch building some parts and the adding PE details to make them look passable. Looking forward to more.

Andy

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Are the white metal ones the SAC set for the Trumpeter Sea Fury?  That may explain the shorter tops?

Yes, they are the SAC ones, they do look nice though. 

I have some Aeroclub ones,   V196.    Not compared them to the kit ones as yet

V196.jpg

I did see the Aeroclub ones but I don't think the detail is much better than the kit ones. I noticed that the kit ones, and the Aeroclub version, seem to have been modelled on legs that are not supporting any weight, if you compare the geometry of these to the reference photos you can see the angle of the upper and lower connecting pivots are the opposite way round. 

came out really well, lovely bit of work.

cheers

T

Thanks, Troy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crimea River said:

Nice work going on here. I built this kit a few years back and also found the landing gear details to be less than stellar. I ended up up scratch building some parts and the adding PE details to make them look passable. Looking forward to more.

Andy

Thanks, Andy. It's certainly a challenging kit but I am really enjoying it because it encourages you to build parts from scratch. Until this kit, all I had ever done was add the odd extra wire here. 

• Like 1

Pip and Troy, 

I think that this thread, thank you two, is the summa of solutions to all the problems of Eduard Tempest: length of fuse, wing thickness, undercarriage, wheel wells, rivets and so on.

I thougt to start to build my Eduard Tempest with rescribing all the panel lines: but do you think is it necessary? 

Or is it better to engrave the rivets only?

Really, from the HawkerTempest site pictures, it seems that rivets are more visible than panel lines: what do you think?

And Pip, your cockpit is really beautiful: did you use any drawing (like those of  A. Bentley) for designing it?

Thank you,

Stefano

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stefano59 said:

Pip and Troy, 

I think that this thread, thank you two, is the summa of solutions to all the problems of Eduard Tempest: length of fuse, wing thickness, undercarriage, wheel wells, rivets and so on.

I thougt to start to build my Eduard Tempest with rescribing all the panel lines: but do you think is it necessary? 

Or is it better to engrave the rivets only?

Really, from the HawkerTempest site pictures, it seems that rivets are more visible than panel lines: what do you think?

And Pip, your cockpit is really beautiful: did you use any drawing (like those of  A. Bentley) for designing it?

Thank you,

Stefano

Hello Stefano,

I don’t have the Bentley drawings, I have just used reference photos and measurements of the fuselage to get the cockpit to fit. As for the panel lines I have been using photos and the drawings on the Hawker tempest website, I haven‘t looked at the wings yet but so far the fuselage panel lines on the Eduard kit look correct, I just focused on the riveting and left the panel lines as they were. Only exception is on the tail fillet, the kit is missing lines along the bottom of the tail fillet.

http://www.hawkertempest.se/index.php/indetail/2014-05-19-06-01-35/richard-j-caruana

On 4/16/2018 at 21:54, stefano59 said:

Hi Pip,

Thank you for the link.

So do you think the panel lInes are sufficiently deep for washing?

Stefano 

Good question, some of them look suspect, especially some of the lines on the air intake chin. I have rescribed some but I haven't done all of them. I don't usually use undercoat but I had decided to use it on this build as I have had to do so much work to fill the gaps when joining the fuselage halves, once I see it with that first layer of paint, hopefully, then I can see which line still need more work. 

Philip

Hi Philip,

Thank You for your answer. 

Another question: I also ordered the SAC Sea Fury undercarriage legs, because the kit ones and the Sac Tempest legs are too simple. But also the Sea Fury legs are in extended not weighted position: if you see the two hinges in the blue circles in your picture

2018-04-18_11-34-48

they are contrary to the position they have in the real plane picture 

2018-04-18_11-45-58

Any idea on how can we modifie them?

Stefano 

• Like 2

On 18/04/2018 at 22:55, stefano59 said:

they are contrary to the position they have in the real plane picture 

bear in mind that is a museum example,  and may not be typical,  off hand I'mnot os how the UC legs worked, but it's a good observation and question.

It's late,  (so not going on long search)  and period shots usually have the UC in shadow.... not really clear enough,  but maybe of general use.

41-HN-Ac-Special-Hobby-Tempest-Mk.II-Hi-

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

bear in mind that is a museum example,  and may not be typical,  off hand I'mnot os how the UC legs worked, but it's a good observation and question.

It's late,  (so not going on long search)  and period shots usually have the UC in shadow.... not really clear enough,  but maybe of general use.

Hi Troy,

from your picture it seems the undercarriage is in "unloaded" attitude, and it is the same in A. Bentley drawings and in Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest and in its aftermarkets.

Is it possible that the "loaded" attitude of the museum example is because the shock absorbers have been discharged with time?

If yes, we'll have one less problem!

Stefano 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Troy, 

I had started to come to the same conclusion looking at pictures of the Sea Fury VR930, it is obvious that they are not fully loaded which makes more sense because when landing you would need further travel in the suspension. Despite this, I have decided not to use the Sea Fury undercarriage because, although they are similar they are definitely visually different. 

vr930%2034.JPG9de9e4ff69c84aa48bb5bacf1e12534c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been away this week so today was the first time I could work on the Tempest. As I mentioned above, I had already decided not to use the undercarriage with the kit because it wasn't detailed enough and then I decided not to use the Sea Fury ones because they didn't look right so that left me the only choice to build my own. I used the lower section of the kit legs as I couldn't work out any way to recreate that part from scratch but the rest is scratch built.

BgbzvMNITP4ldC4G7zLbMxiq_RyNXIqJ4C49g56J

QT-XLEt_hnaL-vNTbcAp2Q8s8btPElOn5bqraUNp

• Like 8

4 hours ago, pipthepilot said:

I have been away this week so today was the first time I could work on the Tempest. As I mentioned above, I had already decided not to use the undercarriage with the kit because it wasn't detailed enough and then I decided not to use the Sea Fury ones because they didn't look right so that left me the only choice to build my own. I used the lower section of the kit legs as I couldn't work out any way to recreate that part from scratch but the rest is scratch built.

BgbzvMNITP4ldC4G7zLbMxiq_RyNXIqJ4C49g56J

QT-XLEt_hnaL-vNTbcAp2Q8s8btPElOn5bqraUNp

I'm without words!!!

Is it a free hand scratch built work, or are you....a cadcam milling machine??!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, stefano59 said:

I'm without words!!!

Is it a free hand scratch built work, or are you....a cadcam milling machine??!!

B) All freehand. Would have been a lot easier if I did have a milling machine. 

1 hour ago, stefano59 said:

I thought "YOU" were the milling machine!!

LOL

Is it all plasticard? Which diameter? 

Did you glue with  cyanoacrilate or Tamiya cement?

Thank you in advance, 

Stefano 

Yes, I used 2mm tubes for the lower part of the legs and 2.4mm for the upper parts and various thickness of card for the joints. I use Mr Cement S to glue it together.

A little update from today, I added some more detail to the undercarriage and corrected the detail on the fairings. These legs have been a lot of work, at least three days working out how to make them and then two more days trial and error to put them together but I think it was worth it.

aTzORbmPQ16MI6aDbAL_YG_3aauTStG4iBwx3rbz

• Like 7

Hi Philip, thank you very much for the informations. 

If you are interested on the internal colours  (cockpit, wheels' wells, undercarriage, and so on) I allow myself to suggest the content of an old article  of A. Bentley and Bob Jones, found in the February 1973 issue of Scale Model magazine: "...The interior of the wheels' wells and inside  the undercarriage door covers were usually NATURAL METAL OR SILVER. The interior of the cockpit was NIGHT (BLACK) except on a few Tempest V, Series 1, where it was painted AIRCRAFT GREY GREEN. The Seat was either DULL METAL OR BLACK, though again a few were seen in AIRCRAFT GREY GREEN.

The inside of the nose radiator intakes were also DULL METAL or sometimes matched the under-surface MEDIUM SEA GREY.

Wheels hubs and undercarriage legs and struts were also NATURAL METAL."

This is the oldest document I found on Tempest internal colours and the closest to 2nd WW (in effect the magazine smells like mold.....).

Stefano

Hi Pip

STUNNING WORK on the UC legs!

hi Stefano

47 minutes ago, stefano59 said:

The interior of the wheels' wells and inside  the undercarriage door covers were usually NATURAL METAL OR SILVER. The interior of the cockpit was NIGHT (BLACK) except on a few Tempest V, Series 1, where it was painted AIRCRAFT GREY GREEN. The Seat was either DULL METAL OR BLACK, though again a few were seen in AIRCRAFT GREY GREEN.

The inside of the nose radiator intakes were also DULL METAL or sometimes matched the under-surface MEDIUM SEA GREY.

the observations are good for Typhoons,  natural metal I doubt, painted Aluminium dope was common, but not on Tempests.

There are late 44 factory photos that show a mid grey tone for wheel wells,  and other internals,  note that  aluminium dope usually appears near white in BW photos.

note in this 1945 colour shot

painted aluminium gear legs, and grey-green inside the doors

A lot more information about UK interior colours has become available in the last few years,   for  a long time the main idea was everything was grey-green. (certainly the case in the 1970's/80's when I first got interested)

If anything, certainly until mid-war, all internals parts were painted aluminium apart from cockpits, and in the case of Hurricanes and Typhoons the interior included the interior framework.

There are plenty of threads on this on here. 

HTH

T

• Like 1

Hi Philip, thank you very much for the informations. 

If you are interested on the internal colours  (cockpit, wheels' wells, undercarriage, and so on) I allow myself to suggest the content of an old article  of A. Bentley and Bob Jones, found in the February 1973 issue of Scale Model magazine: "...The interior of the wheels' wells and inside  the undercarriage door covers were usually NATURAL METAL OR SILVER. The interior of the cockpit was NIGHT (BLACK) except on a few Tempest V, Series 1, where it was painted AIRCRAFT GREY GREEN. The Seat was either DULL METAL OR BLACK, though again a few were seen in AIRCRAFT GREY GREEN.

This is the oldest document I found on Tempest internal colours and the closest to 2nd WW (in effect the magazine smells like mold.....).

Stefano

Hi Stefano,

I'm not an expert but I would caution about older documentation, just because in terms of time it may be closer to the war doesn't mean it is the most accurate. My colour choices are based on photographs of genuine aircraft before or during restoration whilst they show their original paint colours. I can't be sure about the wheel well colour but I haven't seen any photographs the wells in natural metal/silver except for one of the prototypes. As for the cockpit colour, based on my own research, the entire cockpit wasn't completely painted Black, the majority of the cockpit was interior green with the upper walls only in black.

Philip

10 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Pip

STUNNING WORK on the UC legs!

Thanks Troy,

• Like 1

Hi Philip, 

Your choice based on pictures before and after restoration is probably the best way. 

ruzlkampf on LargeScalePlanes reported

a document of Sir Sidney Camm that says: "all Tempest wheel wells will be painted RAF interior green FROM THE FACTORY!"

So you are right!

But is it possible we can't find an official document related to Tempest interior paintings???!!

Stefano 

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but very closely related, yesterday I went along to the Hawker Typhoon Restoration open day. The project to restore Typhoon RB396 to flight https://hawkertyphoon.com/  I think this is an amazing project and with the Tempest so heavily related to the Typhoon, it was good inspiration for my current build and for the two Typhoons I have in my stash. They have an open day on the last Sunday of the Month and it is well worth a visit. 

q--HbjNcTTVafYaH7MTqPEXRpfl1ofv5YJy3tyPc

The project has a factory fresh Napier Sabre II engine that has never been used and still has the original factory installed seals. At the end of WWII this engine came straight out of the RAF stores and was sent to Cranfield with the intention it would have been used in engineering training but it was never touched or taken apart. The Sabre II was the identical engine used in the Tempest Mk.V.

A9jMVtrArszMKgo-6ZakxjcE5Gat26fERM7eTCPE

6ZnyX6Fbm8rZkzA1wXXyX9NzcsfoUjgizCUV68py

The Typhoon restoration team have a Tempest rudder that again is so close to the Typhoon's version they are going to have it modified to use on their typhoon.

k78IUh-au0TEx4dhtJFvzydEmFUeUILuY9Pg83Wu

Similarly, they will be using a modified Tempest tail section below as the modification required is minimal to replicate the Typhoons' version.

TQuiTlLcTXQv_pOMFz5Ydqkz0D71z0KbKu9I2RTw

This is the genuine cockpit frame from RB396, this frame is identical to the Tempest. As you can see, most of the tubing is corroded beyond repair but the castings and the connection plates, which are stainless steel, are all in very good condition so will be reused. Unlike the Tempest frames which were Interior Green, the Typhoons ones were painted silver. 

pQRAl0gqwlccOYnbPohnX2hgA-fHdnyAtgKeErvS

• Like 8