1/48 Hobbyboss A4F conversion to A4E (Chu Lai part 2)

Hi All

Welcome to Part 2 of my Chu Lai build.

Those of you that followed my Cougar build you will know that I found out that the Cougar was the FAC aircraft for MAG 13 based at Chu Lai between 1966 and 68. A bit of research showed that between MAG 12 and 13 all the main Marine combat aircraft types used in Vietnam were based there around that time. I am going to stretch the "around that time " a bit as I really like the A4E when it is fitted with the extra Avionics /ECM "Hump". While there were A4E's based at Chu Lai in 68 it is a tad of a stretch to include the hump.

Kit wise I settled on the Hobbyboss kit mainly due to the extensive ordinance included in the kit. I looked at the Hasegawa, but by the time I had bombed it up it was going to be a very expensive build. I wanted to try etch seatbelts rather than a resin seat this time and after my detail painting issues on the Cougar I opted for the prepared etch for the A4 to bling the cockpit up a bit. I know not much was going to be visible, but it is partially a practice for my next build which is going to be an F4B in Black Knights livery that was also at Chu Lai at the time. 

The other issue that is a bit of a first is going to be dropping the front slats on the wings. Its something new, and was a good excuse to buy some tiny razor saws from RB Productions. These are really nice little saws, and they worked well on some practice cuts. We'll see how I get on on the real thing, but having a go is the only way to learn new skills.

Enough chat here are the obligatory box and sprue shots.

olp6AG1.jpg?1

GCCMP7G.jpg

Wings - Razor saw practice for the use of-

vcM6hnb.jpg

It looks like Hobbyboss expect people to make this mod as the leading edge of the wing is folded as part of the upper wing, so should be the right shape when it is removed from the rest of the wing. There is a nice panel line that should be a good guide for the saw, and I will tape a ruler to the wing to act as a further guide. We'll see how the practice matches up to the theory.

On to the aftermarket.

First the Etch

XWcShDD.jpg?1

The gorgeous AOA decals

kw5LW3y.jpg?1

I am going for the VMA 311 Tomcats with the hump. The decals are printed by Cartograph, are awesome.

WfPwqt8.jpg?1

Any problems will definitely be pilot error.

Into the build. The kit has some nice raised details, but they have to go so the etch can go on.

Smoothed off

NHtNg0v.jpg

Etch on

46D2rUX.jpg

I also added some tissue soaked in PVA to provide a bit of texture to the seat cushions. It looks a bit rough, but hopefully it will look ok under the paint.

Primer on

NcvVTeE.jpg

I dug around in my paint box and turned up some Hataka Dark Gull Grey. It turns out I actually have all the paint I need for this build, which makes a nice change. The Hataka is nice painting goes down very smoothly, but I do get a bit of tip drying. I am going to use their Insignia White, so I will have a play around with some flow improver and thinners to see if I can sort it out.

Stage 1 etch is on the main IP and the sides of the tub.

pILmXB8.jpg

Finished IP

KT7K6Nt.jpg

Bang seat ready for the belts and a wash to tone it all down.

zu217Ba.jpg

I think the seat looks ok but the cushion is a bit on the dark side, so I will probably give it a dry brush with something a bit lighter.

Thats about it for tonight. Tomorrow I'll get the pit finished off and the fuselage closed up. If that goes well its on to the wings.

Thanks for looking in and apologies for the large number of images.

Yeoman

• Like 1

I just used the Black sheep Decals and some of the VA-55 stuff off that decal set a few months ago. You shouldnt have any issues from them. I built an “E” at “Chu Lai”. I see you're doing a VMA-311 “Tomcats” Scooter. Heres a link to my RFI if you’re interested. 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235030752-blacksheep-scooter/

It has a link to my build as well. 

Dennis

Second update

Good progress today, First off I lighted the seat cushions by stippling them with some interior green to make them look more like the reference photo's I have found on the net. Once that was done it was into the etch seat belts. I am really glad I bought an Ultimate Etch placer. For those of you who haven't see them they are a grease pencil that allows you to position tiny bits of etch very accurately. Once placed on super glue they come away from the placer really easily. Its the first time I have used it and they are well worth buying.

Here is the result

bQAGpga.jpg

Over all I am very happy with how the seat has turned out, and on balance I think the combination of the etch belts and the PVA soaked tissue  look the part.

I added some nose weight by using some self adhesive lead that I bought ages ago to redo some windows at home. It is easy to cut with snips and can be moulded to conform to the shape of the kit. The adhesive holdout in place while you are working and a few drops of CA hold it permanently. 

oxR1iME.jpg?1

Next up was the bit I had been dreading, cutting the wing slats. I prepped the wing by taping a mini ruler and some left over etch to the wings to provide a guide and to protect the wing fro any slips.

drYb1AG.jpg

A few scores with a scalpel to make the panel line a bit deeper and it out with the RB razor saw. What a tool. The blade is only about 10mm long and fits into a craft knife handle at an angle that makes it really easy to use. Working slowly backwards and forwards I was able to cut the slat out without loosing any to the detail to give me this :-

qdTiFJ0.jpg

A quick tidy up with a sanding stick and repeat on the other side we get this

SCrXlqp.jpg?1

Give how nervous I was about doing this I am really pleased with the result. Preparation, taking it slowly and the right tools were the key, but it has given me a lot of confidence to take on this sort of thing in the future.

I fitted the upper an lower wings together and then boxed the hole in with plastic card to give the replacement leading edge something to stick to.

Boxing

C5cVy1U.jpg

Leading edges replaced and trimmed 

MdjhGQl.jpg?1

I need to work out how much to droop the slats and how to ultimately fix the slats, but for now I am happy with how the wing looks. I got the fuselage closed up after giving the front fan a quick coat of Insignia white. The Hakata paint was a bit of a pain and reacted very strangely with Mr Hobby thinners, but once I think it with water it went on easily.

At close of play today we have something that is starting to look a lot like a Skyhawk.

9j1Xmse.jpg

Tq2ig3C.jpg

I mocked up the cockpit before I fitted it, less the seat.

5y7jsZY.jpg

Nice a busy :-)

Tomorrow I am going to keep pushing on with the build and hopefully I can get some primer on and start building up the under wing stores and the undercarriage. Once again things are moving on a pace.

Thanks for looking in

Yeoman

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yeoman1942 said:

Hi Dennis

Thanks for the link to your build. Great work and really helpful for me to sort out the slats.

Cheers

Yeoman

Your welcome if i can help with anything else let me know. I photographed a “C” scooter at the local museum. Julien added it to the walkaround section. That might give you some closeups of scooter related items. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968850-douglas-a-4-skyhawk/&do=findComment&comment=2993573

Dennis

• Like 1

Bit of a Sunday update

First off the E got a hump. Its a good fit an only needed a tiny bit of Vallejo filler to complete the seam. Its quite nice as it removes the biggest seam from the kit, which saves a big job. I like the Skyhawk with the hump, and A4E's were retrofitted with them from 1968 or 1969. I can just about stretch things to have the Cougar and the A4E at Chu Lai at the same time in this configuration.

G4hGXL5.jpg

Im not sure if the strake on the port side is needed of an upgraded E, so I will have to check the net to see if I can get some photos evidence one way or another.

Most of the rest my time today was spent putting the various pylons, fuel tanks and bombs together. I am really impressed with the MER in the kit.It's nicely moulded and includes all the sway arms.They are a bit fiddly, but look very good on the main support. I got a bit of a move on and forgot to take many photos, so this is the only record of what was done.

M3O0ISG.jpg

I am not sure if the drop tanks should have the rear fairing and fins, or have the blunt end as is. My AOA decals show the blunt version, but this may just be illustrative rather than the actual thing. Any advice from Britmodllers who know more about A4 drop tanks than me gratefully received.

Next up were the inlets.One went together very well, but when I came to fit the right intake there was a distinct step. on closer inspection I notice I had sot things very slightly out of alignment.I sanded a bit off the inside, squeezed everything tight while the the extra thin did its thing and then set to work with the sanding sticks. Overall I think it turned out pretty well, and I don't think I have lost too much detail.There are a couple of coin shaped sections that I will need to makeup as they are a bit indistinct, but the step has gone.:D

SoQ9xmC.jpg

left side

1D6W2hJ.jpg

Right side (worst fitter sanding)

dGyYiV9.jpg

I have given it a bit of a polish since the photo, and it should look ok once primed.

Next upward the bombs. Glue filled and sanded, I decided they look a bit smooth, so I decided to to add a bit of texture by stippling some Mr Surface 1000 over the case, while living the fins smooth. I am not sure how accurate it is, but it should add some interest.

Stippled

95KQTJH.jpg

Primed  (Vallejo green primer) and painted ( am mix of dark use Olive drab lightened with interior green) 

3pYwWP1.jpg

I've just spotted some seams, so I'll give them another sand and re-coat tomorrow and finish with a yellow band on the nose, steel fuse and the kit decal.

Hopefully I willet some time tomorrow, and if I do I will press on with more bits and bobs.Mostly it will be any thing that can be primed and then painted insignia white. I lost faith in the Hakata paint, and got some Vallejo from Amazon.Ordered at 2145 last night, and in my hand by lunch time today.You can't beat it.

Thats all for tonight, Thanks for looking in and hopefully more tomorrow.

Yeoman

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yeoman1942 said:

Any advice from Britmodllers who know more about A4 drop tanks than me gratefully received.

My research for the Blacksheep scooter says the droptanks had fins by then. The blunt ones were earlier models and used occasionaly if memory serves. 

Bank Holiday update

I have got quite a bit done today, nothing major, but lots of fiddly bits and pieces.

Much masking of bombs followed by painting of yellow bands and decals.

Masked

FZFHM9O.jpg

Painted and decalled.

lQenBln.jpg

I also got the Insignia White on the pylons and the MER for the centre station.

Much gluing, swearing and regaling later we have this

KM5EuzN.jpg

A few adjustments needed, but over all not bad for a first attempt. Everything got a shadow wash to bring out the really nicely moulded details the bombs and the MER.

Next up  were the various bits of undercarriage. Insignia White base, rubber on the tires and a shadow wash  to bring out the details and we have a tricycle ready to fit.

6isOv81.jpg

The Aleo was done with a chrome pen, which is easy to use, and very, very shiny. 

I had a bit of time left, so I had a bash at the red. My plan, such as it was, was to do the red and then mask it as I didn't eat to finish the top coat and then get red over spray.

Mask

EKeZkjR.jpg

hU2HfM9.jpg

Spray

XE1O4Lo.jpg

y0m7lMV.jpg

Reveal

H3s02U6.jpg

4YctxLf.jpg

Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I seem to have got the red under control and am getting nice smooth coats and good colour density.

I have masked up the red, using the air brakes as they fit nicely. I did make a school boy error and forgot to do the inside of the slats while I had the airbrush loaded, but its a quick job when I get back to the bench.

Thats it for this weekend. Next week will be seam checking and priming. With a fair wind I should get the colours on and maybe a gloss coat. We'll see how it goes. It's proving to be an enjoyable build so far. The fit and details are plenty good enough from  and having all the bombs included makes it a good value kit.

All the best and thanks for looking

Yeoman

• Like 1

Saturday update

I got a bit of time today, and made quite a bit of progress.

Firstly the canopy got masked. After my cracking of the screen on the Cougar I have left the screen and canopy off until I finish things. I'll see how this works out when the I come to fitting and making the seams disappear.

I'm too tight to by a masking set, so its Tamiya tape, burnish with a tooth pick and cut with a new blade. 

W31RQQN.jpg

Nice and sharp, hopefully the end result is as good.

I decided that the detail on the side of the intakes had got a bit soft, so I sanded the whole lot off and made up some replacement plates from plasticard. I softened them with extra thin, hopefully they will look ok when painted. If they are too thick, I will sand them back a bit, but definitely like the way the sides look post sanding.

Plate on

79oNswZ.jpg

Plate construction

bIXYZtF.jpg

Primed

TyEg4OY.jpg

Preshaded with Extra dark sea gray

xMttTCn.jpg

Vallejo Insignia white on the underside

5p74ElD.jpg

and ailerons 

kcYgv1Z.jpg

Masked up again ready for the light gull grey on the upper surfaces

xMttTCn.jpg

Bit of a deep breath as I am using Lifecolour Gull Grey and I had heard some mixed reports of how it performs. I shouldn't have worried. It went down smooth, dried quickly and dead matt straight from the pot. It looks like nice paint so far.

TyEg4OY.jpg

mzyXpVq.jpg

Looking at the photos I think I need to thin the coffin shaped plates a bit as they are about two inches thick to scale. I'll tape around them to protect the paint an sand them back so they are more in scale.

Bits and bobs are now the right colour

kAslgPJ.jpg

Tomorrow will be touch ups and gloss coats, then it will be onto the lovely AOA decals. I can't believe I only started this kit last week end, Even allowing for the extra day this build is moving on at pace.

Another update should be along tomorrow.

Thanks for looking 

Yeoman

• Like 2

Sunday update 

Things went pretty much to plan today. I got the coffin plates masked, thinned and repainted. I think they look more in scale and are a better profile now, but we will see.

Masked

iXRf8h5.jpg

Painted

Esyzc8w.jpg

I also touched up the white on the undersides and the rudder that I had previously missed. I switch back to Vallejo thinners for the white, and it seemed to behave much better than the previous Ultimate Thinners. 

Next I wanted to take on the slats. I decided to make some form of mechanical attachment to the slats, so I added 3 lengths of 1mm x 1mm bar to the under side of the slats.

wkLMq65.jpg

I wasn't too sure on the angle, so decided to go for strength and functionality over any sort of accuracy. Once set I broke out the red again and painted the underside of the slat to match the other face. It seams an odd choice , but thats what the references say and it does make for a nice colourful kit.

I then drilled 1mm holes into the inner wing to allow the rods to slide in. The two largest worked well, but the outer one was casing the slat to twist up at the end, so it got trimmed so the slat was straight.

eX9Pl9Q.jpg

A slide, a wiggle and a glue later we have this

COfKYbK.jpg

npM2Nm9.jpg

I have realigned the slats so they are more equal, but I figured that as they come down under gravity they could be at different angles. A quick mask and blast of red to put the warning stripes round the intakes. I was caught out by the warning stripes on the Cougar, expecting it to be a decal, so checked and sure enough It was a paint job.

We close the weekend like this

uSSzxLX.jpg

I have done a bit of the etch work on the insides of the landing gear so next week I'll be able to gloss, decal and weather things. 

Thanks for looking in.

Yeoman

• Like 1

Small update for Saturday.

It been a series of ups and downs today. The ups were getting the red detail painted and putting gloss coat down to start decalling. The downs will become apparent as we go along.

I started by touching up a few issues on the tail planes, they were too monotonous and flat, so I preshaded again and put the gull grey top coat on. I was much happier with the variation. Next up was the red around the undercarriage doors. Out with the small brush and a steadyish hand to give us this.

lSoeiQv.jpg

Needs a few touch ups, but it will look ok under a wash.

The gloss went on and I got started with the AOA decals. Printed by Cartograph they go down very well and look like they will be silver free. I started with the black words on the tail. The AOA decals are set out with all the specific decals for each scheme grouped together in rows, so you aren't playing hunt the decal or risk putting the wrong one on.

First 4

VWuBMl7.jpgTail in close up plus a small 16

OZD9zUu.jpg

The more observant will notice that the red decal on the rudder has broken up a bit at the bottom. Try as I could I couldn't get it to conform. In the end I decided to rip it off and paint it. This kit has really got me over my red spraying phobia. I also managed to wrinkle the 1 at the end of the serial number. Fortunately there are loads of suitable replacements so its not too difficult to repair. This is entirely down to me trying to go too quickly and not giving the decals enough time to settle.

Moving forward I used a combination of AOA and the kit decals to do the nose. Overall I am pretty happy, and once matt coated it will look good.

bQZva36.jpg

I touched in the rest of the area forward of the screen in Nato black to blend it all in.

I had put the VMA 311 too close to the speed brake and the adhesive qualities of the decal worked against me. Things went from bad to worse, and I ended up with this.

f58torq.jpg

After a few choice words I managed to airbrush the damage out of existence and managed not to overspray any of the decals , phew.

I popped the air brake in and put the stars and bars down over the whole lot. The microsol settled the decal down and made it easy to get a good clean cut out between the fuselage and the brake.

pl4nQ2i.jpgI masked the tail ready fro the red. Hopefully it will protect the paint work, avoid ripping the decals up and give a clean line between the red and the white. We will see.

Mask

DYbO4XE.jpg

Paint

LLMmoEp.jpg

Reveal

rARgU9p.jpg

A bit of bleed this side

5D3Phbm.jpg

Better this side. I touched the other side in by hand, and am much happier than I was with the decal. The yellow decal should work well over this, but it is so much crisper that its worth the risk.

I carried on with the intake danger marks and the squadron markings on the side, plus the insignia on the wing. Everything went down well, including conforming to the vortex generators on the wing

KiN1nV0.jpg

h3Ze70t.jpg

ACtWhuH.jpgI decided to call it a day and let everything settle down before I do any more. Now I am at the decal stage I can fit doing a few decals at a time around other things without the noise and disruption of spraying. I should get most things done over the next week or so. 

I'll post another update once there are a few more decals done.

Thanks for looking 

Yeoman

• Like 2

Final update on another surprisingly quick 3 week build.

I managed to do the decalling in stages over the week, and most of them performed as expected. The only trouble I had was the yellow for the rudder. First off I thought it was one decal which would have helped with alignment. Unfortunately for me each yellow section was a separated decal and I really struggled to get them to settle down, even using Micro set and sol. 

Individual decals

2lHgtBm.jpg

Going on to the rudder one at a time

vYDyU8H.jpg

It looks ok at this stage, but the decals didn't really stick and started to move around.

0iaUnut.jpg

I used microsol to breakup the excess yellow and  in the end the final result look ok at best. I may revisit it again, but it will be paint next time I have to do something like this.I trust my masking ability more than my ability to get decals to settle down and stay in place.

After this point things moved on a pace and I forgot to take photos as I went. It was a real bonus having the various elements like the under carriage, the tanks and the bomb racks pre painted and assembled. It was just a case of adding each element in turn and then moving on to the next. Pretty soon Every thing was on and the build was complete.

Bang seat in and HUD built up from photo etch.

TQKjOd3.jpg

A gloss coat to seal everything in and it was on to the wash.I mixed up some medium grey Oil Brusher with a spot of starship filth and diluted it all to form a wash. I like the effect this gives to the gull grey as its not too harsh but still picks out the panel lines and adds some depth. Was going for a light weathering as I wanted a relatively newly upgraded aircraft.

On roughly to start

Nprk9Ml.jpg

Most of it gets taken off with odourless turps once its dried, which leaves a nice subtle effect. I did the same on the underside, but used a mix with more medium grey in it so the white remained white. Its a bit difficult see in the photos, but I am happy with the result. I popped the canopy on and called it done.

Here are a few shots of the finished build

RrpsHvC.jpg

oJqQFvN.jpg

xFZIDlZ.jpg

Bombs

cQUsYso.jpg

More bombs

74jQXDd.jpg

hvpKylW.jpg

I really enjoyed this build. I learnt a lot, mainly to give things ago, like modifying the wings to allow the slats to come forward and getting to grips with underwing stores, all on a plane I have loved for years. Thats it for Part 2. Now have to decide if I plow straight in to the Black Knights Phantom, or go for something a different colour scheme.

Thanks for the support during the build 

All the best 

Yeoman

• Like 3