Eduard 1/48 FW190A-4 - Siegfried Schnell

Hello Everyone, 

I have been building the FW190 over the last couple of weeks and originally wasn't going to submit it in RFI because I had a few issues but in the end, I decided I would.

The Eduard kit is very nice, the panel line and rivet details are absolutely amazing and the fit of every piece is perfect. The problem I had was with the decals, I managed to smudge the port wing cross whilst it was drying and then just made it worse trying to fix it. I then decided to remove both decals and start again but just ended up messing up the paint! I ended up having to paint the upper wing surfaces again and as I didn't have any replacement decals I painted the crosses. Its one of those things that you wouldn't notice unless someone points it out but I know its there are it bothers me, the only upside was I really liked the painted crosses so will paint them on more often in future.

Despite the issues, I enjoyed building her and I am quite pleased with the result but any constructive criticism is more than welcome. 

14XSDc_G4bu0G0zzNuU438GMyt8cy1cbvFjyz_1J

nhEhOHozB21RDPw-kWN4IX3Zefofd5PvSYeqsBel

dXTW4cbyfIohdYb7xWl3UBVrUskkKcJcNsSN8RA1

qgvEw5je80gm8-uz2sLRMB9eW57GmcjoUKM2ud__

Olb6X2TKgBPVn6OYulNTV1_fmdDJe5ZNqXqfdlVS

pkgS_0D-4pk4bv7fORmvYfgukY63qETjt6D8EfEx

• Like 27

23 minutes ago, pipthepilot said:

I managed to smudge the port wing cross whilst it was drying and then just made it worse trying to fix it.

Excellent Focke-Wulf :thumbsup: ... The build was good as well. Seems you had exactly the same issue I did with my eduard Fw-190. Mine is still messed up and kind of why its sitting on a shelf ignored currently. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent Focke-Wulf :thumbsup: ... The build was good as well. Seems you had exactly the same issue I did with my eduard Fw-190. Mine is still messed up and kind of why its sitting on a shelf ignored currently. 

??   ..thought this new-tool was painless, compared to the older 'new' tool. Your build and finish are superlative Pip...perhaps a tad 'dirty' for my taste. Schnell was an early Oakleaves winner and his machines look pristine

10 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

??   ..thought this new-tool was painless, compared to the older 'new' tool. Your build and finish are superlative Pip...perhaps a tad 'dirty' for my taste. Schnell was an early Oakleaves winner and his machines look pristine

I must admit I did get a bit carried away with the weathering :-) I like to use Tamiya smoke to soften the look of fresh decals but I agree it is a little of the heavy side this time. That's the trouble with paint, easy to put down not so easy to take off. 

As for the kit I really can't fault it, it really is painless but the decals are very soft which mean they melt into the panel lines perfectly without any softener but they are also very easy to distort. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FalkeEins said:

??   ..thought this new-tool was painless, compared to the older 'new' tool.

Mine was the older type, construction was a dream. However Eduards decals are so thin that mine rolled and i couldn't fix them. I probably wont use too many of eduards decals in the future. I have 30+ years of collecting kit and A/M decals to choose from. 

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

I realise there are many discussion on RLM colours but thought this might be interesting to anyone who likes using water-based acrylics and is researching colours for mid-WWII Luftwaffe.

When I was building the FW190 I did a lot of research on the colours. I mainly use Vallejo model air but I don't trust all of their versions of the RLM colours so I researched and tested different paints until I found the combination I used on the model above. Whilst doing the research I ordered the Eagle Editions RLM colour chart but unfortunately, it only arrived today so I have finally been able to see how close my colour choice was. The photo below shows the relevant Eagle Editions colour chips with the spoons I had painted when I was selecting the colours to use and I am quite pleased that the colours are very close.

RML02 Grau - AK Interactive 2002

RLM04 Gelb - Vallejo Model Air 71.078

RLM74 Graugrün - Vallejo Model Colour 70.897

RLM75 Grauviolett - AK Interactive 2008

RLM76 Lichtblau - Vallejo Model Air 71.257

FHFFgZoLC_AGZcGRLHM8JITF3h3OY6EMIs4-Q5ZQ 

• Thanks 1

Nice build!

Your painted crosses look much better than the decals.

Nice job with the mottling. Was that done with Vallejo paint? I never manage to use Vallejo paints to do mottling. Well done!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marco said:

Nice build!

Your painted crosses look much better than the decals.

Nice job with the mottling. Was that done with Vallejo paint? I never manage to use Vallejo paints to do mottling. Well done!

Hi Marco,

Yes, I used Vallejo, the secret is to use the Vallejo "Airbrush Flow Improver" it stops the paint drying too quickly in the airbrush and it allows you to paint at much lower pressure. I also use it to thin down the Vallejo Model Colour so it can be airbrushed. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Twentecable said:

Which crosses did you mess up? 

Honestly I hadnt noticed. All looks very good and thanx for sharing!

Gr TC

The crosses on the upper wing surface, the original decals weren't straight so had to remove them which damaged the paint underneath. What you can see above is after I repainted the wings and then painted the wing crosses on.

• Like 1