Radar Ariel Colours

224 Peter

I've got to the point with the big 1/32 Beaufighter that it is time to fit the radar aerials/antenna... 

The aircraft had Mk iV radar, operating at 220 MHz, amusingly the same as DAB Radio today....!

The big question is what colour should they be? DAB antenna do not like to be painted, they tend to be either chromed or black anodised. 

So, assuming they are not chrome would black for the antenna be correct, with the support part in background colour? 

Colour photos are seemingly not available, at least I can't find one. 

Suggestions anyone?

Peter

This high quality IWM image seems to suggest the correct colour is black... 

large_000000.jpg

It also shows the 20mm cannon ports with large canvas patches doped over, from the tonal variation of the photo it seems the doped patch is not MSG or dark green: could it be red oxide base dope? 

• Like 1

I've never seen any reason to doubt that being red dope. Something that's going to be shot away regularly isn't worth doping and then finish-painting during types of active service where frequent contact witt the enemy is expected. There probably wouldn't be time, anyway, for the dope to go off properly so that finish-painting could take place.

Talked to a couple of former RAF Radar Technicians: it seems that as well as blueing a matt neoprene coating was used on many antenna. 

One of the guys said that the application of any sort of paint to VHF and UHF antenna was specifically prohibited as it could significantly attenuate the received signal. 

So, semi matt black it is. 

I'd say the first one is weathered, heavily. 

It compares in tone with the front of the engines, which were also black.  

The structure underneath is aluminium, the rear "blade" is actually a folded dipole, this link to an article about "Serrate" shows the nose aerial of the Mk IV AI in detail.