F-8C can this be done?

Andy341

Hi, I am looking forward here.  I want to do a Mig killer from VF111, however this is an F-8C and I have the E variant with the Bullpup equipment in the dorsal hump.

I am aware that this is a key difference, along with the profile of the nose.  I am aware that Cobra and Cutting Edge did do a resin conversion kit, but are both out of production.

Is it feasible to assume that the current conversion kits for RF variants would cure the hump and nose issue?

Lastly, are there any other major exterior differences that I need to know?

Your help will be appreciated.

It is feasible but may require some additional work. The RF-8 nose and the area above the intake is a bit different from the F-8C but the "radome" has a similar section so can be used as a starting point for a C. I have to say that the E radome can also be modfied to the C configuration with some sanding. Staying in the radome area, the C also lacks the IR sensor, this may affect the windscreen too, depending on your kit yoy may need a new part.

Any part that converts the area above in the wing into the "humpless" configuration will be useful, but keep in mind that the fuselage in front on the wing was wider on the RF, again some work may be needed on an RF conversion part

Regarding other differences, the C originally had the rocket pack under the fuselage, I believe this was deactivated but I guess that the relevant panel lines remained in place. The C also had no wing pylons and the nose wheel was different (but IIRC the later style was retrofitted on older aircrafts).

There is thent the matter of the landing gear... several kits feature the landing gear struts used on the H and J, that had several parts taken from the A-7. The C never used this style of course so some modification may be required if your kit has the later style. The main visible detail is the presence of "horns" on the nose landing gear at the very front. The details of the various landing gears are discussed in this thread on ARC:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/127141-differences-between-the-f-8e-and-f-8j-crusader/

And then there's the seat.... the C would have used a MB Mk.5, IIRC most kits feature the later Mk.7

I'm sure there are a few other differences in details like vents and so on, but this should be a start

• Like 2

There is a conversion from Muroc Models to convert the 1/72 Academy kit into an F-8C.   I think they are still in business - perhaps check Hyperscale or other sites to get current contacts.   I 've always been impressed with their stuff.

George

1 hour ago, Andy341 said:

Hi, I am looking forward here.  I want to do a Mig killer from VF111, however this is an F-8C and I have the E variant with the Bullpup equipment in the dorsal hump.

I am aware that this is a key difference, along with the profile of the nose.  I am aware that Cobra and Cutting Edge did do a resin conversion kit, but are both out of production.

Is it feasible to assume that the current conversion kits for RF variants would cure the hump and nose issue?

Lastly, are there any other major exterior differences that I need to know?

Your help will be appreciated.

The Cutting Edge and Cobra conversions did not give you what you needed to convert an F-8E to an F-8C. Due to the fact that you mentioned Cutting Edge and Cobra, I assume you are talking 1/48? Muroc Models makes an F-8C conversion for the Hasegawa F-8E and an F-8A conversion as well. You won't be disappointed with the quality. Muroc does not have a website. Contact David Newman directly at [email protected]

Hi, hope you don't mind but I've have included some photos of a 1/48 Monogram F-8E that I converted into a 'C'. The hardest part was replicating the radome but apart from that it was fairly straight forward.

Andrew

U6rUAUQ.jpg

PUobRJD.jpg

• Like 5

Thank you all for the great replies.  It gives me something to think on.  Tez, love the photos.

I am using the Eduard re-boxing of Hasegawa's F8-E in 1/48.  

I love the Sundowner tail art from the era of colourful paint work.  My aim is to do an example of each aircraft VF111 has flown since the end of WW2.  I do have some decals for a VF111 F8-H.  Would it be easier to convert to a H variant than a C?

Thanks again for your valued input.

Andy

It s fairly easy to do in 1/72 just cut the hump out and reprofile the nose, same in 1/48.. the cobra company set got the nose wrong so that does not help you there anyway, only with the wing. The cobra stuff is now being produced again so the set might become on sale?

here is a link to the 1/72 one I did a fair number of years ago now;

https://modelingmadness.com/review/viet/us/dixonf8c.htm

The RF hump won't help as due to the different fuselage and the area rule it's a different shape.

H would be easier as you would only have to reprofile the nose.

julien

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:57 PM, Giorgio N said:

Staying in the radome area, the C also lacks the IR sensor, this may affect the windscreen too, depending on your kit yoy may need a new part.

It does, the center panel of the windscreen is taller since it doesn't have the mount for the IR sensor.

Regards,

Murph

• Like 1