Phantom FGR2 Roundel type

goggsy

Does anyone know whether RAF Phantoms, 6 squadron in particular, were still using the high visibility roundel on the fuselage and upper wing surface in 1972 or had moved to the low vis type by then? Sounds like an obscure question but I’m interested in building a particular aircraft that crashed in that year as a kind of tribute so I’d like to get it right. There’s an Xtradecal sheet covering 6 squadron throughout the years but it has the low vis Phantom on it and I suspect that it might be wrong for my aircraft.

A quick ‘n’ dirty web trawl suggests that your subject is XV477 “C” and that it was lost at the end of 1972.  That being the case it should still have been wearing the so-called “Type D” national markings, including a rectangular fin flash.  Toning down of national and unit markings didn’t commence until 1973 so you should be safe with hi-vis national markings.  Print Scale produce a decal sheet providing “Type D” national markings.  The only photo that I’ve yet found of her shows her in 54 Squadron markings, including “Type D” national markings..

• Thanks 1

The tactical roundels started to be applied in mid 1972, but did take a while to be applied to the fleet.

There are photographs of Phantom FGR.2 both with and without the tactical roundels during '72 - you might have a tough decision here.

Excellent choice of subject, really do like the strike Phantoms.

• Thanks 1

I don't know if its any help or perhaps reassurance but there is an illustration of XV477 "C" here. It shows it wearing hi-vis roundels. A little annoyingly it has it dated as  21 November 1972 whilst other sources have 20 November as the date of the fatal accident - not sure which is correct. The crew identified are however those tragically killed and so I would guess it does represent the aircraft on the day of the accident.

Hope that helps

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello goggsy!

I checked my Phantom books but couldn't find a single photo of XV477. Patrick Martin's "British Phantoms" states that XV477 became "C" in November 1972 and that she crashed in November 20.

Those aircraft profiles RichG mentioned are indeed superb; among the best I've seen. Lovely, detailed work. However you should be careful with them as some are pure fiction.

One example: F-4J Phantom BuNo 153792 #2 served with VMFA-334 in 1967:True. According to the site this Phantom went to war with VMFA-334: false. In it's time with the Falcons 3792 carried AN/ALQ-51 equipment: false.

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I think I’ll go with the hi vis option then. You’re correct, it is XV477; I live in the area it crashed in, which is a bit of a death trap for aircraft. There are at least half a dozen that I’m aware of within a few miles, ranging from a Venom which is mostly still there on the hill because of how remote it is, to the Phantom of which only fragments remain. The RAF give it a wide berth usually; part of the problem is that the ridge is fairly flat and also has a local weather phenomenon called the Helm Bar which is the result of a Fohn Wind. Basically, warm air from the valley meets cold air from the hills and rolls around on itself causing a straight wall of cloud on occasion. Therefore, what can appear to be the top of the Hill is actually cloud and I suspect that the crew of 477, travelling at 500kts, didn’t realise this until too late. It smacked into the hill near the summit and the impact catapaulted bits over the top and down the other side. I’ve found the odd piece lying around but the crash site proper is hard to find. 

Back on topic, I’m not sure if the Xtradecal sheet will cover 477 but if not I’ll indulge in some jiggery poker with the spares box or maybe print my own codes.

• Like 1