The Golden Age.....

Been looking forward to the start of this GB since crimbo and glad it's finally here. I'm going to use the scatter gun effect by starting two kits in an effort to finish one

(you know what I mean!). I found it tough to choose as there are so many pivotal moments in the junior services' history. I decided to go for something from the

golden age - when the RAF was at it's most colourful. Once I'd decided, the first choice was easy:

DSC_0001

One of Hawker's finest. It's a great kit but with this one I hope to finish it in a lesser known scheme.....................which I'm not telling you yet!!

The second subject nearly didn't make the cut, but thanks to the generosity of fellow member keithintheuk I'll be tackling this:

DSC_0002

I don't know how accurate it is but as it's beauty it has to be done. Anyone know of anything I need to look out for with this one??

Anyway I hope you all enjoy this GB. I know I will.

• Like 10

Thanks for the pointer Robert. I already had an inkling about the fuselage cross section and this confirms it, although to my eye it's not that bad

The cockpit is basic but roomy so I may try to throw some Eduard etch in there too. The kits have been sitting on the table for a few days now

and I'm itching to get started.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so end of week one and maybe time for an update. Work on both kits is running along much the same lines with some cockpit detail addedand buttoning up of the fuselages.

Firstly, work on the Gladiator:

KIT-2

KIT-4

KIT-3

Next, the Fury:

I did try to make some wheel spats but quickly discarded that idea!

KIT-2

KIT-3

KIT-5

KIT-4

I've built this kit a couple of times previously and still find the upper engine covers fidgety. So now to see what week two brings............

Thanks for dropping in.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi People of Britmodeller, time to let you know that I'm still beavering with my projects. I've a couple of pictures to let you see what's been happening. The two builds are running pretty much concurrent and I'm happy with the progress (for me anyway!). The Fury has not been without it's problems - see if you can tell which two struts were broken:

KIT-6

KIT-7

I treated myself to some decalling of squadron markings - for me it's when the kit begins to get some character. This did not disappoint:

KIT-8

The Fury wing should give a clue to the squadron being modelled, while the Gladiator wing has not come up too badly considering the age of the decals. I'm a bit further along with the Gladiator fuselage with the main markings applied:

DSC_0008

I've also scratched the frame behind the pilot's seat and again happy with the paint finish.

DSC_0009

Now........if anyone would like to suggest an accurate colour for that radiator I'd be very grateful. Thanks for looking - hope it kept you amused.

More later.

Edited by mackem01
tidy up!
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks since my last show and tell, so it's time to bore you all again with my latest update. I'm making slow but solid progress on both kits. Firstly the Gladiator:

Since we last saw her she's gained an engine, struts, tailwheel, and an identity. I settled on a silver radiator which was dry brushed with matt black, I then added an

inlet pipe and a venturi below.

KIT-8

The front of the cowling was given a couple of coats of thinned Dark Earth then dry brushed with silver. The decals, considering their age, went on remarkably well.

KIT-9

The next couple of shots show where the carrier film has gone a little discoloured but it's not too bad.

KIT-11

KIT-10

Next up I think it's upper wing and some wheels.

The Fury is also coming along nicely despite the fact I've broken one of the struts..........AGAIN! I've made up the squadron markings for this one to represent 25 Sqn.

I've cheated a little as after my dismal failure to make up some wheel spats, I've decided to model her on the day they took them off for cleaning!

KIT-10

KIT-9

I think the contrast of the black markings on the silver airframe makes it really stand out:

KIT-11

At the moment after some minor painting her progress may come to a stop until I find some correctly sized underwing serials. The big H does not do any in 48th so I

was wondering if any of the larger 72nd offerings would work - as usual advice would be much appreciated.

KIT-12

And there you have Gents, your fortnightly waffle - hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. I would also like to say how impressed I am with some of the models coming

together in this group build. Seems to me everyone is going that extra 'scale' mile for this special anniversary and I'm enjoying viewing just as much as building.

Until next time......

• Like 4

They're both looking great, I particularly like the colour and weathering of the Glad's collector ring it looks spot on to me.  I tested the decals on my Inpact Flycatcher but I'm afraid they hadn't stood the test of time, so had to print my own, yours are looking god and solid though, nice work on both kits.

Cheers, M.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening boys and girls, I hope everyone has had a lovely Bank Holiday weekend where relevant, and everyone else has had a good one too. As usual it's about that time - the

last two weeks trials and tribulations, though mostly the latter. Both are pretty much complete and I'm really pleased with the rigging (not 100% accurate but enough to give

a viewer the idea). Firstly the Fury:

KIT-14

KIT-13

KIT-15

She needsa couple of undercart rigging wires, the prop, and some underwing serials and she's done. Now I hear you all clamouring "What about Aunty Glad?" Well, I'll

show you:

KIT-12

KIT-13

KIT-15

There's a little more work with this one. She needs eight more rigging wires, the prop and canopy, then if I'm lucky we can move to the gallery.

Thanks for looking in...............I'll not bore you much longer!

• Like 4