Halcyon Models Nostromo from Alien.

Hi all, last job before i have a break for a few weeks, this is the Halcyon Models Nostromo, a vinyl kit that has its issue but for the most part was a pretty good project. As with all vinyl kits there is a fair bit of warping so plenty of hot water dips straighten up parts. The lighting is all bespoke apart from the use of an old control card for the engine lighting, this gives it a random flickering effect, not that you will see it from the images. 
I have built the kit to incorporate the strip lights on the belly and the landing lights, in regard to the landing lights these were never part of the production model as the lighting was supplied from an external rig and hidden with smoke that you see in the film. The landing lights are an important part of the model and none are supplied in the kit so it was a must to replicate them though you will have to afford me some artistic license here happy.gif
Light rigs. 
mN1DZoCl.jpg 
M7pkExJl.jpg 
Belly strip lights are quite random. 
AU6wMQbl.jpg 
The landing gear is also lighted and in the film there is a ring of lights at the top that does this. 
2NzbPu3l.jpg 
Landing Lights complete, the 5 x main landing lights are on an independent touch dimmer so they can be turned on/off and dimmed as required. 
75Fi4VUl.jpg 
eWYxNI0l.jpg 
For the engines i have drilled out all the holes and will fill with the appropriate size optic cable, this will all be illuminated from the LED positioned on the inside behind the optic cables. 
MU8c753l.jpg 
Engines done, these are on a control card that gives a flickering effect and again they are on an independent touch dimmer switch which means they can be turned on or off and dimmed independently of the other lights 
2pRfmYcl.jpg 
Touch Dimmers and DC Input. 
HtwJMExl.jpg 
Once painted i have weathered a little, trying to gauge this with Sci-Fi is always tough and i took lots of stills from the film but these are quite dark and grainy as you would expect so getting a balanced result was quite tough. For me less is more and you can always add more later but it is far harder to remove it if you go tooo mad:-) 
QlOzyFhl.jpg 
zjQHgHPl.jpg 
09RbjYfl.jpg 
Landing gear and belly lights only. 
eXEAq3Rl.jpg 
All lights. 
JCo8ED2l.jpg 
Engines 
ZmimzoYl.jpg 

Well that is me for a while, motorcyles to strip and clean for the silly season that will soon be upon us. 

Regards.

Danny.

Edited by danimalmagic
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

That is a corker of a build ! Love the finish you have achieved on the hull it really gives it a sense of scale and it makes it look massive  ( would love to know what you did to achieve  it and the colours used ) the lighting is the cherry on the top.

absloutely love it mate

Pete

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rwa66 said:

Possibly the nicest build that I have seen of this particular kit, Very well done.

Cheers

Richard

16 hours ago, Mike said:

I'll second what Richard @Rwa66 said.  Definitely the nicest, and certainly the best lit.  Those tiny lights on the belly are just right :coolio:

12 hours ago, Carts said:

Thats fantastic,love your finish and lighting rig.

8 hours ago, Brundledonk said:

That is a corker of a build ! Love the finish you have achieved on the hull it really gives it a sense of scale and it makes it look massive  ( would love to know what you did to achieve  it and the colours used ) the lighting is the cherry on the top.

absloutely love it mate

Pete

Thanks Guys, a very cool project for me, may still have a tinker with the weathering yet.

Edited by danimalmagic

On 30/03/2018 at 4:36 PM, rockpopandchips said:

Excellent! Really like what you have done with the lighting and the colours look spot on.

On 30/03/2018 at 4:58 PM, Kallisti said:

That is a beautiful build of a very rare kit!

I'd love to get one, particularly after seeing what a superb job you've gone on this one!

8 hours ago, Will Vale said:

That's just lovely. Excellent work on the lights.

Will

6 hours ago, RACETRACK said:

That's amazing. Looks bang on to me and the lighting is pure quality.

Thanks guys.

Danny

Add me to the list of admirers of your build. Excellent paint, weathering and lighting.

It was and still is, a great film, but there never was a good shot of the Nostromo (that I saw)

so I am also grateful for your pictures which show the ship in a good light.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2018 at 10:10 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Add me to the list of admirers of your build. Excellent paint, weathering and lighting.

It was and still is, a great film, but there never was a good shot of the Nostromo (that I saw)

so I am also grateful for your pictures which show the ship in a good light.

On 31/03/2018 at 10:48 PM, Tzulscha said:

Inspirational I'd call it.

I've had this kit in my stash for many years now and I'd never seen one built up.

Now I'm looking at your build and going 'Hmmmm...'

Very pretty sir!

On 31/03/2018 at 11:26 PM, saturnapollo said:

That is very impressive and the lighting certainly adds to it. I hate vinyl kits with a passion so anyone who can do such an excellent job on one, earns my admiration.

Keith

On 01/04/2018 at 11:50 AM, Tak5haka said:

Very impressive (to echo the other comments), love the lighting and nice to see one done this way. Great finish all round with it.

Thanks Chaps.

Danny

• Like 1

You made a superb job of that old vinyl kit,i have one in my stash to build one day,i have no real problem working with vinyl kits,i think that as long as you are prepared to put the work into them they can make great projects,and many sci fi kits are rare to find in anything but vinyl,i also have a rare Wave UFO Skydiver kit that's in vinyl,i just hope i can get round to building them in the near future.

• Like 1

On 05/04/2018 at 8:56 AM, Badder said:

Awesome!

Rearguards,

Badder

On 05/04/2018 at 9:57 AM, Lee Chambers said:

You made a superb job of that old vinyl kit,i have one in my stash to build one day,i have no real problem working with vinyl kits,i think that as long as you are prepared to put the work into them they can make great projects,and many sci fi kits are rare to find in anything but vinyl,i also have a rare Wave UFO Skydiver kit that's in vinyl,i just hope i can get round to building them in the near future.

On 08/04/2018 at 9:09 AM, Yorkshire man said:

Good enough to use as a movie prop !

Thanks guys.